Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches

Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, Utah and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November.

These canyons are an awesome little day hike. People really need to clean up after themselves better, but it's beautiful there. We enjoyed the slots so much, we went back in and night hiked them with headlamps. We were definitely the only ones in the canyon in the middle of the night! Highly recommended!

There are 3 slot canyons in this spot. And they are truly amazing! Well worth the 50 minute drive on a washboard dirt road. My advice is to have a high clearance vehicle as the road is tough and the last mile is like going off-road. About the hike; Spooky is really tough as it's VERY VERY narrow, so much so that an obese person won't make it through. Also there are some large boulders blocking the way and the only way past is to crawl down into and under them. This involves going down through a really small hole. Another tough spot is at the beginning of Peek A Boo where there's a 15 foot cliff to get up or down depending on your direction. I'm afraid of heights and this was REALLY challenging, but since we went down this canyon I had no choice so I took a deep breath and did it. Obviously it's possible, but a real test for me. Another word of advice is to have a map; as we, and several others we spoke to got lost going from one canyon to the next. We actually got lost twice, which made for a much longer day than we expected so we ran out of water. Not good in the hot desert.

One of my favorite places. Just watch out for rattlesnakes in the slot. Guess they enjoy it too.

We did not make it. We went to the "main entrance" and there was a long lane of people waiting to go in. We decided to go reverse, we started but it was so narrow that it was difficult to cross with people. We kept going until we met a family with 6 months old, 1 and 2 years old kids. The kids were crying, the mum was crying and terrified we gave up and went back to the main entrance which was empty by that time. We started the climbing which was really difficult for someone with no experience and they were ponds of dirty water we did not want to fall into since we were wearing our last pair of dry shoes. It was too hard for us and we turner around for good.

Walked the extra mile from the first parking lot and did the larger slot to the left of peek-a-boo. Very cool!

That was really a fun adventure. I would upgrade the rating to strenous though since navigating the canyons requires a minimum of clmibing and scrambling. Also the trail between the exit of Peek-A-Boo and the entrance to Spooky is not marked. You absolutely need a GPS there.

Peek-a-boo and Spooky are as everyone describes...very beautiful and fun to do. Both have narrow spots that require minimum girth, i.e. take your pack and chest mounted GoPro off. My recommendation is to do Peek-a-boo first and come down through Spooky. This makes the technical obstacles more manageable. Markers for the slots are minimum at best so if you are new to the area, study the guides to know how to find the entrances...or ask one of the dozens of other people that will be there. We did not do Brimstone because we did not know where to go after exiting Spooky...bummer!