Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches

Peek-a-boo, Spooky, and Brimstone Gulches is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

Great hike not too much trafficked to explore slot canyons beyond the touristy 'Antelope canyons'. The entrance is hard to find. The hike itself is difficult as there are narrow and steep parts where you need 5 grade climbing techniques. Only advised with light luggage. Take plenty of water. Be aware of rattlesnakes.

This was much more difficult than we anticipated. We backpacked through (mainly because we just needed a place to sleep), and I don't recommend it. There were some pretty steep inclines and descents, and the trail wasn't marked very well in the beginning. Pretty challenging, but fun. The slots were neat. Spooky got so narrow at one point we turned around. Just bring day packs with plenty of water.

first tried peekaboo but it was too slick to get up. Most people I watched did not make it up. Went down to Spooky instead and absolutely loved it! In some areas it was only 10 to 12 inches wide and it was so much fun squeezing through. Finished up by going all the way up Dry Fork Narrows which was surprisingly pretty cool.

These slot canyons were definitely not what I was expecting. Getting into Peek-a-Boo was a lot harder than I'd anticipated. And the slot canyon was narrower than I was expecting. The biggest problem was the mud. I got stuck in the mud several times, to the point that I couldn't even move.
By contrast, Spooky wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Yes, it's narrow. Very narrow. But it wasn't wet or muddy. I had to hold my backpack in my hand and walk through Spooky because it was so narrow that I couldn't fit through with my camelback on.

Difficile à cause de la boue sur peekaboo

Wow, this is no joke when it's wet! It had rained the week before, but as soon as we got to Peekaboo there was a 4-ft deep water "puddle" in front of the entrance. As soon as your feet got wet and muddy it made scaling the 10ft wall into the canyon so difficult. We didn't have rope, but another family did, and us and another couple joined together to help each other through the canyon. Even after the initial wall there was so much water and mud that we used the rope on numerous occasions to lift each other up.

After we got through Peekaboo, we went to Spooky and that was a lot more dry. Very narrow, but much easier than Peekaboo. At the end we were completely caked in mud from head to toe!

So be careful if it's rained recently. Bring rope. On dry conditions everything should be fairly easy.

Also, both canyons trail heads are accessible by driving down the infamous Hole in the Rock road. Be sure to have a high clearance vehicle, because there are some rough spots. Check with the Visitor Center before driving to check in the road condition. The folks there are super helpful and informative.

Spooky!

One of our favorite hikes during our trip to Utah! Peek A Boo was like climbing through a natural jungle gym and Spooky was like nothing I had experienced before. We missed the entrance to Peek A Boo because we were unaware that you had to climb into the entrance (poor research on our part). We ran into a group that had hiked the gulches before and guided us in the right direction. About 200 yards into Spooky from Peek A Boo, you will run into an obstacle, which forces you to chose a way to descend. The safest way to us seemed to be a 6 ft+ drop onto a flat rock, but we weren't willing to risk it. We turned to go back through Peek A Boo, but luckily ran into an awesome group of locals, who brought webbing with them. Without these incredible people, we wouldn't have made it safely though Spooky. This portion of the hike is not for those who have a wider girth. The gulches are an unbelievable experience, but be prepared to rock scramble, potentially jump, and bring a LOT of water. Also, Ranger Mike at the trailhead is an awesome guy--take the time to speak with him!

Did it with 5 children ages 5-14. Everyone loved it and the kids had a lot of freedoms to hike by themselves. The hike from peek-a-boo to spooky was hot and sandy but well worth it. We all enjoyed Peek-a-Boo more than Spooky. I'd recommend going up Peek-a-Boo and down Spooky.

These canyons are an awesome little day hike. People really need to clean up after themselves better, but it's beautiful there. We enjoyed the slots so much, we went back in and night hiked them with headlamps. We were definitely the only ones in the canyon in the middle of the night! Highly recommended!