Learn more

Dry Fork Narrows, Peekaboo and Spooky Slot Canyons

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(874)
Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument

Dry Fork Narrows, Peekaboo and Spooky Slot Canyons is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until November.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 738 ft Route type Loop

No shade

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (3)

NOTE: The route on this page has been update to reflect the new parking/route to the canyons as of 2/14/20 The route now begins at the overflow lot. You can make this hike shorter by trying the upper parking lot (marked on our map with a waypoint). During your hike, you may encounter other canyons leading off from the route shown on this page. Please keep in mind that slot canyons can be very dangerous, as hikers can get stuck, there can be flash floods, and it is very difficult to locate stranded hikers inside them. Awesome, seemingly endless slot canyons and amazing views greet hikers who have planned ahead and prepared. The route difficulty varies depending on your level of experience and preparation - have fun, yet don't underestimate desert challenges. Hole in the Rock Road is generally passable except following storms or in heavy snow, and the spur road to the trailhead has recently been improved - please stay on designated roads. Camping is available yet requires a free overnight camping permit available at the visitor centers, or self-register at the trailhead. Plan ahead and prepare, stay on route, and remember to bring lots of water as it is bound to get very hot during the summer and there is often little to no shade.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (874)
Photos (480)
Recordings (661)
Completed (1511)
Travis Sutherland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 14 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

We all drank a gallon of water and ran out with 106+ weather. Start this hike early. Spooky is claustrophobic and shouldn't be done at all if you don't like tight spaces. I wouldn't recommend anyone over 220 pounds. Spooky also has a crappy drop that's sketchy for anyone under 5 feet 2 inches.

View Travis's Recording
Amanda Reed
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 14 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

Fun hike, at the end of a VERY bumpy 26 mile road. We did it in 108-ish or more degree weather, would HIGHLY recommend going when it's cooler. We went through 4 liters of water each. Only did peekaboo (piece of cake) and spooky (borders on sketchy). If you go from Peekaboo to Spooky the drop down into Spooky is no joke. Had our tallest member slide down (somehow) the 10+ foot drop down (maybe more like 15) and help us down, that's the most dangerous section by far. The rest of Spooky is not for the Claustrophobic, backpacks off to squeeze through most of Spooky. Easier for tall people.

View Amanda's Recording
Brian S

Awesome trail - epic slots. Spooky gets real thin! Like...REAL thin. Big boys and girls need not try Definitely do this hike.

Joey Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
Hiking

Amazing hike and some of the best slot canyons I have ever hiked! It is challenging due to the heat and lack of shade to and from the slot canyons and the slot canyons can be challenging - very tight in some places, definitely not for young kids or people out of shape or on the heavier side. I recommend going early or bringing lots of water - we went in the middle of the day and each went through a gallon of water, but being from Arizona we are used to temps above 100. We passed a family that needed rescuing due to heat exhaustion so be prepared. Also, the 25 mile dirt road to this hike is pure hell if driving a regular car - don’t risk it! RENT A JEEP OR ATV. We first drove our car the first day and broke the motor mount before arriving at the trail head and barely got back, the next day we rented an ATV and had an awesome time. Great hike - one of my all time favorite.

Kim Nemeth
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Like everyone states the road there to the hiking site is horrible. For 26 miles you drive on a gravel/sandy road. We took a rental down this road and ended up with a blowout on the way back. And of course we were too far for any help from the rental company. Nothing opened on Sunday either!! Such a horrible experience. The hike itself was beautiful, but hot and little shade. I wouldn’t take small children on this hike either. Download the map since you will get lost like we did.

Chelsea Benson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

The most fun hike we have ever done! We even considered doing the loop a second time. Definitely go early. We started around 7:30 and it took 3 hours. The weather was perfect. I’m 5’4” and 170 lbs and I did not have any problem fitting through the canyons. I was very nervous after reading some of the reviews on here but it was completely doable and I had a blast! Just be a prepared hiker.

Rachel Powers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

Without question one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. Go early in the day. It gets very hot and exposed in the afternoon. The canyons (especially Spooky) are a must-see if you’re up for some narrow passes and scrambling. Definitely high moderate to low difficult.

View Rachel's Recording
Katie Reed

This hike is on the more challenging side of moderate. We started at 6:30 am and it was heating up quickly and blazing hot by the time we hiked out. I would recommend hiking in via the Rim trail ONLY IN EARLY MORNING because it has zero shade. And then ALWAYS taking the Narrows out as they offer much needed shade. The slots were much cooler temperature and only inches wide in certain spots. You might not be able to fit through them if you're on the heavy side, broad-shouldered, or pregnant. Also wouldn't recommend them if you're claustrophobic. Beware in one spot inside spooky slot there is a drop that you must use a rope to climb down. The rope is already there. I wouldn't have been able to navigate that alone so bring a buddy as well as at least one gallon of water per person.

Kaylee Vandjelovic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

This was an incredible hike!!! It’s a bit of a drive to get there but so worth it. Definitely not for people who don’t like small spaces though. Go early to avoid the heat and the people!

Kerry Cowley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingNo shadeScramble

I wanted to write a warning about my experience hiking on July 4th. I'm a 5'3" 59 year-year-old female in fair shape weighing almost 200 lb. We parked in the parking lot and started on the hike through sand and sandstone about 9:20 am. It's a mile to get down to where the slot canyons start. We spent a few minutes checking out Dry Fork Narrows before ascending Peekaboo. I was with a group of in-shape relatives and had to be assisted up into Peekaboo with a rope and being pushed from behind. I'm a 5'3" 59 year-year-old female in fair shape weighing almost 200 lb. I never would have made it on my own because my legs aren't long enough nor do I have enough upper arm strength. This slot canyon was challenging and offered good photo ops but I was out of breath in parts. Things got progressively worse once we started into Spooky. I'd read differing reviews about it narrowing down to 10-12" in parts (my width at its widest was 14 3/4 and I didn't know which one was correct) but then other people said in reviews that I'd read and at the BLM when I called that they knew of overweight people that had done it so I was optimistic I could somehow get through. After the initial difficult descent, again with the use of a rope and help from other people, we got to a point where I couldn't fit through. Two of my nephews got on their hands and knees and let me walk over them (it was a bit wider higher up) until I could get to a place that wasn't so narrow. I thought that was the narrowest part of Spooky but when some of our group went ahead they came back with the news that it got even narrower and that I shouldn't even attempt it. The girls were told to hike back to our vehicles and the men and I retraced our steps and it was much more difficult going up Spooky. Luckily there weren't too many people coming down that we had to wait for. Once we got back on the desert (mid-'90s at this point?) and began our trek towards Peekaboo, I began to feel the effects of heat exhaustion which became progressively worse. It was decided that we wouldn't head back down the slot canyon but kept walking cross country until we came down to the area near the base of Peekaboo. We then began the tortuous (in my mind) hike back up to the parking lot through lots of sand. I wanted to stop frequently to rest, was extremely thirsty, dizzy and nauseated, and had run out of water (I only had 2 1/2 liters). Luckily I was assisted up the hill and given more water. I had some trail mix with me but eating just a little bit made me even more thirsty. We finally made it back to the parking lot at 3:30. Later on as we were driving back to Sandy I started to get extremely painful charley horses from lack of sodium, etc. If you attempt this hike make sure you have at least 4 liters of water and salty snacks that you eat on the way, don't attempt it during the summer unless it's early in the morning and don't even think of going through Spooky unless you're under 11" wide from front to back.

Tara Schuster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingNo shadeScramble

This should be rated harder. You scramble, you hoist your body up and down, at points you walk single file. I did alone and it was hard. At one point, on the spooky loop, there was a big drop that I felt like I couldn’t safely make. So, I hiked the rim (there were foot steps - I think others had same issue) and then entered through the exit. It’s really spooky! Very tight. Fun but harder than expected! Go EARLY it will get too hot!

View Tara's Recording
David Stark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

2 sweet slots!

Charlie Maynard
HikingScramble

Go clockwise. Peekaboo first. Bring plenty of water. Fairly busy.

Glenn Fallucca
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike! So worth the effort but it takes commitment lol 1st challenge is the 25 mile dirt road. Second challenge is following the trail itself in the desert as the rock markers are sometimes far apart. Be sure to follow the loop of the lollipop clockwise and when you get to the second gulch you do encounter one spot with a large drop. You can actually look behind and there is an easy drop down with a small hole to go through. Hard to describe but the point is that you never have to take a 5 foot jump straight down if you do not want to Do not miss this hike! One of the best I have ever been on!

Kylie Dewar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

This was awesome! Loved it. Hot walk in and out in the sun. But once your in the peek a boo to spooky gulch loop and then we did the dry fork narrows as a loop too. This app is a must and download so you can follow offline. Also look for the stacks of rocks they’ll guide the way too as someone has put them there throughout trail. There are very narrow parts so have a bag you can take off and carry through them! But it is incredible!!

View Kylie's Recording
Chad Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020

Parents - please read! If your kids are under the age of 8, I would highly recommend skipping this trail. Not only is the road painfully bumpy and long to get to the trailhead, but once there, it’s not at all great for young kids: 1) it’s hot / no shade until you get into the slots 2) you must be able to climb to reach the entry point 3) you cannot be too large (even backpacks won’t fit in many sections)

View Chad's Recording
Courtney Kargel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
Hiking

Completed on 31 May 2020. Both slots were awesome and we encountered very few people. Do not bring large packs as there are areas that are so narrow you will have to walk sideways carrying your pack in front or behind you. The walls feel like sandpaper so wear pants and bring long sleeve shirt to wear while you move through the canyons to protect your skin. The trail between the two canyons is a little difficult to identify so try to download the trail beforehand or keep a very close eye out for the cairns.

Lauren Purcell
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble

This trail is magnificent and although hard there really wasn’t ever a dull moment in my opinion. A few things worth mentioning: - the trail is marked with rock piles/cairns when you’re not in a slot. This felt a little confusing at times because you’re literally just trekking through the wide open desert at some points if you do the full loop. Definitely have your AllTrails app on, at the very least keep your eyes peeled! I ran into numerous people who got lost trying to do the loop...you do NOT wanna get lost out there. - this trail is rated moderate but it’s definitely difficult...the terrain combined with the heat makes it somewhat brutal at points, but again it’s so much fun and 100% worth the effort. - lastly, if you have any issue at all with claustrophobia lol...expect it to potentially rear it’s head because parts of the slot canyons are SO NARROW!!!! Mind over matter helped me, and I focused on the adventure. Worst part is the unpaved BLM road to get to the trailhead haha, very bumpy and slow-going but made it fine in a sedan. One of the best hikes I’ve done, if you’re thinking of doing other slots scratch it and do this one!

View Lauren's Recording
Jessica Johstoneaux
HikingNo shade

6/20/20 We traveled the dirt road out to the trailhead in our minivan. We did ok but that is a long time to feel rattled! (26 miles) We got there on a Saturday morning around 8:30 and no problems getting parking. When we returned to our car there were many more cars and no spots in the main parking lot. There is an overflow parking lot but that will add to your hike. It was hot enough on the return hike that starting even earlier would have been nice. We didn’t intend to do the Dry Fork Narrows too but there is a point where there is a sign that directs you to Dry Fork Narrows (to the left), Peekaboo (straight), and Spooky (right). I’m not sure how we got so mixed up, but we entered Dry Fork Narrows thinking we were in Peekaboo. Dry Fork is pretty and wider and easiest to get through. If you are nervous about narrow spaces and don’t want to do very much climbing up and down (like you do inside Peekaboo and Spooky), Dry Fork Narrows would be best for you. I wish we had just turned around and hiked back out of Dry Fork Narrows (like it shows on the map) but because we thought we had just done Peekaboo we tried to loop around thinking we were headed to the entrance of Spooky! There were cairns out there so we thought we were on a trail but we just ended up feeling lost and like we were wandering around. Eventually we made it to the start of Peekaboo! The beginning is tough to climb up into. It is best done by helping each other from the bottom and the top. Once inside, it is a lot of fun and beautiful! Lots of crouching down and climbing around to get through. We then made it over to Spooky. Spooky is much more narrow and technical. There is one part where you have to drop down quite a way. If you have a bigger build, there may be parts where you have to really squeeze through. Don’t bring poles. They will just get in the way. Large backpacks are tough too and you’ll have to take them off and hold them in front of you or behind you. The map at the beginning of the trails says to go CLOCKWISE! I strongly suggest following that. We had people coming the opposite way at us through Spooky. We didn’t run into problems because met them at wider points but the narrower parts would provide for some traffic jams! Besides, I don’t know how you would get up the part that we dropped down inside of Spooky. The hike back to the cars for us was brutal. It is uphill and lots of sand that makes it hard to walk in. By that point in the day there was pretty much no shade, it was hot, and we had run out of water. Another kind hiker gave us an extra bottle of water and that was a lifesaver! All in all, the canyons are incredible and a lot of fun!

Kristin George
HikingRockyScramble

First hike in slot canyons was incredible. We skipped the offshoot to Dry Fork Narrows and just did Peekaboo and Spooky, making it five miles. You have to scramble a bit to get into Peekaboo - do this loop clockwise with Peekaboo first - but it's worth it. Recommend a small backpack and no tank tops; we got pretty scratched up. The steep uphill out of the canyon near the end is tough in the heat, but you get great shade in the canyons.