Peek-a-Boo and Spooky Slot Canyons

Peek-a-Boo and Spooky Slot Canyons is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

Awesome slot canyons that just keep going & going. Beautiful sights and easy to moderate hike. Definitely recommend the trail.

very popular slot canyons, often crowded. ASK for map and current conditions at GSENM Escalante VC (435) 826-5499 before setting out - Hole in the Rock Road is generally passable except in heavy snow, but the spur road to the trailhead is often impassable for sedans. dogs are not recommended (even on leash) due to heavy use. camping is available, register at trailhead and camp only on disturbed areas. TAKE EXTRA WATER (if not for yourself, for others) - novices overestimate their abilities and get into trouble here with deadly results, cellphone service is spotty and medical help is not close.

Not a lot of markers knowing which slot canyons are which but was beautiful

The route shown does not go thru Brimstone Gulch, so the title and description should be updated. Also...the map/route should be shortened to not go past the “0.4 mile shortcut”. If you continue past that, the trail is not well marked (very few cairns) and there isn’t anything worth seeing. Other than that, this trail is great. It is challenging, unique and fun. We hiked thru Spooky first (counterclockwise direction) and then ended on Peek-a-boo. You will need a “boost” out Spooky and a “hand” getting out of Peek-a-boo if you go this direction. It did seem like more people were hiking the trail clockwise. Either way...be prepared for a challenge. This trail is not for people who get claustrophobic.

Did this 11/18 and loved it! Hardly any others at all on a Saturday afternoon. We started with Peekaboo and then did Spooky per the majority of recommendations on this site. There was a bit of a climb into Peekaboo that was manageable without equipment. We did meet up with another couple and helped each other down the drop that many others have mentioned in Spooky. I don’t think I would have been able to climb up that part without rope and would definitely recommend doing Peekaboo first for this reason. It does get very tight, as many others have warned, but is so worth it. The whole hike was absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to go again!

Amazing hike. I'd follow the suggestion of doing peek-a-boo first as there is a 10' drop (or climb) that is far easier to descend than ascend in my opinion (w/o gear). Don't let the drop deter you as it's very manageable once you navigate where to plant your feet. Cannot stress this enough that this hike isn't for overweight or claustrophobic people. Spooky get's very narrow. Also, don't tell anyone about this gem. It's almost like a free version of Antelope Canyon!

Gotta do it. A couple of areas required rope for those who are overweight or otherwise not able to, for example, drop down from a 9 or 10 foot drop (in Spooky slot canyon) with the assistance of fellow hikers or (at the base of Peek-a-boo slot canyon) ascend a precarious 20 foot ascent up STEEP and slippery sandstone with a 10 foot drop at the bottom (I personally rescued 2 separate adult males at this point.

The drive to the parking lot is long and dusty. You will need to pay attention as the turn off is not called out by name. Going back into the lot, there is a split and if you don't have a lifted vehicle park in the first lot. Trial head is about 1 mile to the left of the first lot. Hike is great, spooky is tight and peekaboo is some climbing but both are really neat and beautiful. I would recommend starting in spooky which is off and around on the right. It makes the climbing is peekaboo much easier.

Great trail. Go up Peek-a-boo and down Spooky. Take the cut off trail across to Spooky and don’t follow the gps track shown above. There is a 6 foot drop through some sketchy rocks coming down Spooky. Much better than it looks actually. Take it down the middle. Plan at least 2 to 3 hours for this loop.

This was really cool, but unless you know what you're dealing with here, I wouldn't recommend doing this hike solo. The entrance to peekaboo was harder than I expected and I could've used an assist a time or two, but it was doable with lots of mud, sand, and scraped knees and elbows. I got to the boulders in Spooky though and said 'screw this.' If it hadn't been for some other hikers I'd meet earlier coming along and encouraging & helping me, I would have backed out of the canyon and headed back to the parking lot. Go over the first boulder or two in your path, then when you get to the big pileup, down under them. It's about a 10 foot drop and being short was a real disadvantage here. Even with 2 people helping me, I was about in tears half way down, sure I was going to fall, and there's definitely no going back up from there. There are a lot of different tracks in the sand and cairns here there and everywhere...I think it would be hard to get lost as long as you have basic hiking skills, but the map here is really helpful if you have any doubts. You won't have cell signal out there or anywhere around escalante for that matter, so load open your app and load the trail map somewhere that you can use their Wi-Fi and keep it open until you get out there. The loop overall doesn't cover that much distance, but unless you're a desert native, much of it is more physically demanding than your standard hike and the trek across the desert to get to/from the canyons is hot, exposed, dry, with sand whipping you in the face. Drink a couple liters of water throughout at least because you're losing it even if you don't realize it. This was an awesome experience and a lot of fun, but definitely BE PREPARED that it's on the harder side of moderate.

This was great, climbed up peak a boo, with knee deep water at the entrance, WOW! What a cool slot Canyon trail. Crossed over to Spooky! The trail was nothing but foot prints. Almost got lost! Came down Spooky slot Canyon trail, it was just as cool, very tight in some places, but made it thru with others going the other way. 9-17-17

Such an amazing place. Use gps. Probably easier to go up peekaboo and down spooky. Peekaboo Is hard to recognize from below because there is an initial rock climb of 20 feet to the start of the slot

Great hike not too much trafficked to explore slot canyons beyond the touristy 'Antelope canyons'. The entrance is hard to find. The hike itself is difficult as there are narrow and steep parts where you need 5 grade climbing techniques. Only advised with light luggage. Take plenty of water. Be aware of rattlesnakes.

This was much more difficult than we anticipated. We backpacked through (mainly because we just needed a place to sleep), and I don't recommend it. There were some pretty steep inclines and descents, and the trail wasn't marked very well in the beginning. Pretty challenging, but fun. The slots were neat. Spooky got so narrow at one point we turned around. Just bring day packs with plenty of water.

first tried peekaboo but it was too slick to get up. Most people I watched did not make it up. Went down to Spooky instead and absolutely loved it! In some areas it was only 10 to 12 inches wide and it was so much fun squeezing through. Finished up by going all the way up Dry Fork Narrows which was surprisingly pretty cool.

These slot canyons were definitely not what I was expecting. Getting into Peek-a-Boo was a lot harder than I'd anticipated. And the slot canyon was narrower than I was expecting. The biggest problem was the mud. I got stuck in the mud several times, to the point that I couldn't even move.
By contrast, Spooky wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Yes, it's narrow. Very narrow. But it wasn't wet or muddy. I had to hold my backpack in my hand and walk through Spooky because it was so narrow that I couldn't fit through with my camelback on.

Difficile à cause de la boue sur peekaboo

Wow, this is no joke when it's wet! It had rained the week before, but as soon as we got to Peekaboo there was a 4-ft deep water "puddle" in front of the entrance. As soon as your feet got wet and muddy it made scaling the 10ft wall into the canyon so difficult. We didn't have rope, but another family did, and us and another couple joined together to help each other through the canyon. Even after the initial wall there was so much water and mud that we used the rope on numerous occasions to lift each other up.

After we got through Peekaboo, we went to Spooky and that was a lot more dry. Very narrow, but much easier than Peekaboo. At the end we were completely caked in mud from head to toe!

So be careful if it's rained recently. Bring rope. On dry conditions everything should be fairly easy.

Also, both canyons trail heads are accessible by driving down the infamous Hole in the Rock road. Be sure to have a high clearance vehicle, because there are some rough spots. Check with the Visitor Center before driving to check in the road condition. The folks there are super helpful and informative.

Spooky!

One of our favorite hikes during our trip to Utah! Peek A Boo was like climbing through a natural jungle gym and Spooky was like nothing I had experienced before. We missed the entrance to Peek A Boo because we were unaware that you had to climb into the entrance (poor research on our part). We ran into a group that had hiked the gulches before and guided us in the right direction. About 200 yards into Spooky from Peek A Boo, you will run into an obstacle, which forces you to chose a way to descend. The safest way to us seemed to be a 6 ft+ drop onto a flat rock, but we weren't willing to risk it. We turned to go back through Peek A Boo, but luckily ran into an awesome group of locals, who brought webbing with them. Without these incredible people, we wouldn't have made it safely though Spooky. This portion of the hike is not for those who have a wider girth. The gulches are an unbelievable experience, but be prepared to rock scramble, potentially jump, and bring a LOT of water. Also, Ranger Mike at the trailhead is an awesome guy--take the time to speak with him!