Parrish Creek Pictographs Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Centerville, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

This is an easy hike in the Parrish Canyon area and is well worth it. Cross over the red bridge and then onto the waterfall before looping up to the rock art. Requires careful foot work, so while this hike is not for very young children unless you can keep a close eye on them. The cool petroglyphs and the small waterfall make this a great hike. Please do not touch the petroglyphs as this causes them to fade.

For such a short hike, this was a good workout. Like other hikers have mentioned, the trail is narrow, rocky and steep in places. Also, it has lots of poison ivy, so I recommend wearing long pants. But, the scenery is beautiful, and the pictographs definitely make it worth it.

THERE IS POISON IVY EVERYWHERE! I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, especially in a hike rated only "moderate" and OK for at least older kids. We are experienced hikers, so I'm not giving it the half-hearted rating lightly. Also, I realize going in mid-September gave the trail a chance to really dry out and the poison ivy time to grow into large stands, but really, this warrants a mention. The trail to the bridge is decent with a lot of the elevation gained and then lost before you get to the red Bridge. After that, a lot of it is extremely narrow and steep (like a few degrees away from needing technical climbing gear. It gets very bad as you approach the second waterfall (which is not as picturesque in September as it probably was earlier in the year). Also, are the petroglyph closer to the upper waterfall than the map suggests? We got to the upper waterfall without seeing them, although it's only there that you see a rock face of the sort that you get petroglyphs on. At that point, though, the trail was so narrow and difficult to negotiate, we weren't looking up too much because a fall or slide would have landed us in a lush stand of poison ivy. At least on Bonneville Shoreline someone marks it. Our beef is less with the trail than with the really less-than-adequate description here.

Trail can be slipper. Take the trail on the left of the bridge. Don’t cross the bridge. A lot to see on this hike. Loved it!

Easy walk and some neat pictographs. There seems to be some churn with understanding where to go. Follow the AllTrails path and once you get to the first small water fall keep going. The trail runs to the right of the creek and will eventually lead you right to the pictographs. Just keep swimming!

Beautiful hike but the path is very unclear at many points and is not good for kids, especially in a baby carrier as you need to balance and use your arms multiple times. Otherwise the hike is the perfect distance and mostly in the shade :)

This is a great hike. Just remember you are following a creek up the canyon, not going straight up the mountain. There is a sign that points to the trail going up the mountain but this trail turns left at that point and starts going down into the canyon to the red bridge. Our kids loved it. There are some steep places, not dangerous but have to slide down a little bit. The water is cold and refreshing.

My husband and I completed this hike on July 1.

The AllTrails map is accurate in terms of getting you to the trailhead and starting you on the trail.

However, there must have been some error, because it led us way too far past the petroglyphs. We had never done this trail, and we walked past the glyphs without noticing them, just going off the app's guidance. We hiked way deeper into the canyon and through some very sketchy obstacles. We finally decided to turn around because it was getting too dangerous, even though we hadn't found the glyphs. On the way back, we finally found them.

For those doing this trail.... the glyphs are on the left side as you're hiking up the waterfall area. They are at at a slightly higher elevation than the trail.

Not sure why the app didn't work for us. I think we would have had a better time if we hadn't exhausted ourselves going so far past the glyphs. Be careful, everyone!

This is a nice little trail, but not a kid friendly trail. I never want to take a toddler here again. Up to the bridge, it's okay for 5 and up. Past the bridge, no one younger than 12 or so.

The trail was great but the directions weren’t. Make sure to head left once you meet up with the main trail. At the end of the red bridge turn right and head up the mountain. It took me a couple attempts to actually find it.

The pictographs were interesting, Didn't know there were some so close to home

Not well marked
We climbed for almost an hour and followed a few different sets of directions and we're disappointed to still never find the site, but it was a beautiful hike nonetheless.

Easy hike along the creek. A couple of small waterfalls and the pictographs are cool. Some areas are steep and to get to the pictographs is a little bit of climbing over rocks. Walking down back to the parking area was a little tough cause of sliding on the trail but still an easy hike.

Nice moderate hike as described

Nice hike along a waterfall, be careful it’s easy to fall in! Wish there were more pictographs.

Monday, August 21, 2017

I might say this is easy but there are enough steep and narrow sections to say moderate. Is short so it doesn't take much but wouldn't be easy for little kids. I am always amazed anytime I am in the presence of pictographs.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

This was a fun little hike. The app took me to the wrong starting place though. I looked at the map and found the real starting spot over 2 streets. This is a nice quick hike that is great for an afternoon hike. Once you get in the canyon, is pretty shaded. I will do this hike again. My 4 year old liked the Petroglyphs!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Please, don't touch the petroglyphs. DO NOT TOUCH THE PETROGLYPHS. They have faded tremendously since i was last up there they are irreplaceable and spectacular. Thank You,

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Hike with my kids a few times a week and they do pretty well on most moderate hikes. They are ages 6,4 and 1(rides in the pack). We tried this hike due to the kid friendly review we found on all trails. I did not find it kid friendly whatsoever. Trail is narrow, slick and we almost lost a few kids in the river. Fine for adults, but I wouldn't do it again.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The trail isn't well marked. Another hiker guided us at the start. Much of the trail is full sun. Take PLENTY of water. We saw lots of lizards and a snake. The waterfall is pretty and shaded, but the trail is super narrow and steep. Kids could easily slide off, and it would be a rocky, dangerous fall. I took my teen. So glad I didn't bring my 4-year-old. Once was enough for this hike. We've enjoyed other hikes more. We never did see the petroglyphs. Maybe they were at the very top? We were afraid of sliding off the trail, so we stopped. Maybe there's another trail? Our trail was on the north side of the falls, and we were probably 3/4 of the way to the top.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Requires so careful foot work, but the petroglyphs are way cool at the end!!! The waterfall is gorgeous

Monday, June 12, 2017

Went with all the kids and a newbie hiker. Scared the newbie with the fast water. Good to do with other adults if bringing kids. Cool petroglyphs and fun scramble at the end!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

fun hike, went wrong way first. Snake, fox and squirls on this hike.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Trail was beautiful! Pretty flowers and waterfalls. Water level was high though, so if you want to see the Petroglyphs up close you will get wet.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Took the wrong trail. Ended up on the top of the mountain instead of seeing a waterfall. It was a little steep but overall a nice hike.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

This is a fun and scenic trail with a big payoff at the end. Also not very busy, which I like!

It branches off from the Shoreline Trail in Davis county, so there's a couple different ways into the canyon. I usually drive all the way up Parrish Lane and park in a small dirt lot close to the reservoir. From the lot you can reach this trail by heading directly up the hill above parking (choosing left forks as you continue, which will get you in the canyon), or go north on Shoreline Trail (also following it into the canyon). You'll begin loosely following Parrish Creek, eventually reaching a red bridge that connects trails on either side of the canyon. There's a small trail connecting to the north side of the bridge that continues deeper into the canyon (shown in picture). This closely follows the creek, gets very narrow in spots but is overall easy to follow. You'll eventually reach a rock scramble—easy to do if you take the right side—and on top are the Petroglyphs, marked with a sign.

The trial continues further past the Petroglyphs, but does get increasingly difficult and dangerous as you go (slippery rocks, multiple creek bed crossings, rock scrambles required) but is an awesome trail if you want to explore further.

recorded Parrish Creek Pictographs