Parley's Historic and Nature Area

Parley's Historic and Nature Area is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

partially paved

Parley's Trail, when complete, will become the first true off-road transportation and recreation link spanning Salt Lake City from east to west. Much of the trail's route is already open for use, including a rail-with-trail stretch along the Utah Transit Authority's new S Line streetcar. In the east, the trail begins south of Parley's Canyon, an extraordinarily scenic area despite containing two interstates within. The trail crosses an Interstate 215 ramp on a bridge shared with the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, a planned 280-mile rustic route from Nephi, Utah, to the Idaho border, with long stretches already complete. Continue west on Parley's Trail to cross I-215's main alignment on another trail bridge. The path soon enters Parley's Historic Nature Park, a 68-acre open space bisected by Parley's Creek. Immediately adjacent to the park is Tanner Park, through which the trail also runs. Take a rest or have a snack at one of the park's benches or picnic tables, although the spots may already be claimed by families watching Little League baseball during the warmer months. From Tanner Park, a future section of trail will parallel I-80 to Sugar House Park. For now, an interim on-road route primarily via low-stress neighborhood streets is necessary to bridge the gap. Fortunately, the signed route is easy to follow, and bike lanes are available on the busier streets. A new stretch of trail runs along the southern edge of Sugar House Park, a sprawling area framed by magnificent mountain views. Even those not yet tired from their trek will want to linger here, even if just for a short stroll around the park's pond. The beautiful area is historic, too: Sugar House Prison, Utah's first state prison, was built on the site in 1855, back when Utah was still a territory. From the park, another new stretch of trail known as "The Draw" passes safely under E. 2100 S. and between two large buildings before emerging into Hidden Hollow Park. The park is hidden indeed, surrounded on all sides by the dense (and increasingly towering) development of Salt Lake City's Sugar House neighborhood. Opened in 1999 on the site of the original Sugar House Park, Hidden Hollow Park lies on both sides of Parley's Creek, offering a vital sense of solitude in the lively neighborhood. A unique stretch of Parley's Trail begins just west of Hidden Hollow Park, after a short signed on-road route via Wilmington Avenue, Highland Drive and Sugarmont Drive. The trail shares a former Union Pacific corridor with the Utah Transit Authority's new S Line, the first streetcar run by the agency. The "S" refers to the two cities the route connects: Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake, as well as the former's Sugar House neighborhood. Parley's Trail runs for approximately 1 mile along the streetcar, currently terminating at the South Salt Lake border. Appropriately, the streetcar, trail, kempt landscaping, public plazas and other amenities on the corridor are commonly known together as the S Line Greenway. Access to the streetcar is easy from the rail-with-trail, as it passes four stops on its short route.

Easy, short, loop with plenty of brush and trees for the dogs to sniff. Very busy so the pups will have plenty of friends to play with. Dog waste stations throughout.

Definitely a favorite for my pup. She loves to swim at the pond/lake area at the end. One of my favorite places to explore!

My husband and I and Scout dog completed this hike on October 13.

The trailhead is easy to find, but I with the trail was better marked because there are some places to turn off. We used to app to double-check where we were several times.

The trail was pleasant, part pavement part dirt, with some undulating hills. Part of the trail is an off-leash dog area, and we enjoyed seeing all the doggos enjoying their Saturday morning. There's also a stream for them to play in.

Another warning.... THERE IS POISON OAK ON THIS TRAIL. My husband and I took a little detour to check out an old bridge. On this side trail, I also peed, and chose the *WRONG* leaves to wipe with. Multiple sleepless nights and trips to urgent care later... I am writing this as a warning so nobody makes the same dumb mistake I did!

Nice hike.

Decent path. Not exactly a trail, I wanted to run but it became more of a light jog/ Walk. I brought my dog though and she loved it! There were so many dogs on the path just hanging out with their owners. Great area to take your dog on a walk and or take a walk with someone.

Easy morning hike. Half the trail is an off leash dog area that is unpaved and the other half is paved for walking and bikes.

I partially did this loop and ended up walking along a creek. It was lovely and shady.

We always call this the dog park. Lots of dogs off leash. Fun place for your dog to meet other dogs, if that’s your goal.

This is a great trail to take your dog on! There are a few places your dog can go wading in the water as well so it's nice on those warmer days.

Perfect trail to get our dog acquainted with other dogs and to test if he can handle being off leash.

All year round off leash dog trail. Super easy.

Really nice place for a walk:) lots of dogs, which we loved. Also loved all the historical areas.

Loved all the dogs!

it was way fun lots of dogs which for me is perfect!

This was a fun trail to take as a family. Full of dogs off-leash. It's easily accessible, but parking was difficult.

So, first I will give a little history of this park for those of you unfamiliar with it and curious about the seemingly polarized reviews. For more than 30 years this was the Parleys Way Dog Park, and the main trail is still an off leash dog park. About 5 years ago they fenced the main trail off and renamed it a Historic Park. You access the “dog-free” zone through a gate at the bottom of the hill.

I cannot speak to the “dog-free” zone, but the main trail is a great, easy walk/hike that is small child friendly. Except for the main hill to get into/out of the park it is mostly flat or rolling, my two year old is in heaven and can walk most of the way. There is creek access at the beginning and end of the trail which helps cool you down because there isn’t much shade. Most people are very responsible and clean up after their dogs really well but the dogs will get “up in your business” as another reviewer put it, despite vigilant owners because, well, dogs.

I pulled into the Tanner Park lot right as a woman discovered her car window had been smashed and a backpack taken. It was a stark reminder that this place is in the middle of the city. I was nervous to leave my car there, but I made sure it was obvious I didn't have anything of value in it and took to the trail.

Despite that dubious introduction, I love this park. There are several trail options so you can decide whether you want long or short, paved or dirt, shaded or exposed. It is close to I-80, so there is constant road noise. There are also many, many unleashed dogs. I was greeted by several, so if you don't like dogs, maybe steer clear. Despite the amount of dogs I encountered, I didn't notice many piles of excrement left on or near the trails, so most people do their duty. There are signs of homeless living, but again, it is a park in the middle of the city, so what can you expect?

Friday, January 12, 2018

The constant noise from the freeway kind of ruins the hike, and there was dog poop EVERYWHERE. It smelled terrible in places and you had to watch where you stepped.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Awesome off-leash dog trail. If you're not a dog person I would suggest you avoid it. Slight elevation change but fairly easy walk.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

It was a lot better before they added the fencing.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

I thought this was a pretty good trail. I brought my little dog with me. We enjoyed the paved path more than the gravel one. First there are a lot of big dogs running around free and getting in your business and second I was worried about the gravel on my dogs paws since she is only used to grass and cement. Other than that I thought it was beautiful. Great views of the mountains and lots of green trees still!! I would definitely go back.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

It's a dog park. It's sad to see a historical park become a shit hole for dogs. Other than that it was pretty easy & nice.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Had a great time with our Labradors. We're in our 50's and had a 10 yr old Lab with us among our other dogs. Great walk/hike! Nice people. Would definitely recommend

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Literally a SHITTY park. Dog poops everywhere and it stinks! Not much to look around either. Not recommended if you don't have a dog.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Easy trail. Lots of shade: BUT it is an off leash trail so be prepared for lots of dogs at times, and the smell of dog poo just about everywhere when it's warm. It's most fun with a dog of your own.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Lots of dogs!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Nice little walk, even if you don't own a a dog!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

This was a great little hike. If you go the left side it's paved and all up hill. If you go the right side it's downhill. Left side is all in the sun and the right side has some good shade.

The cool thing is at the end of the right side is some water you can play in. The left side connects to the right side and you can get to the water that way.

Hidden in the south trail is some dirt bike ramps to jump on. That was a cool find. Have fun! I'm

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Nice hike for the littler ones. There were lots of dogs on and off leash that they got to pet, and a stream halfway through to splash in. there was a little uphill and downhill but the path was mostly paved so it was easy.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

I thought it was such a fun place for my dog. He loved the river and being able to run off leash.