Neffs Canyon Trail

Neffs Canyon Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Head east toward Mill Creek Canyon on 3800 South Wasatch Blvd. At the first stop sign (Parkview Dr., 3700 East) turn right and go 1.1 miles to Parkview Terrace (4175 East 4245 South). Turn left and continue to White Way (4275 South 4260 East), turn right heading generally eastward and uphill to the end of the road. The trailhead is marked and the trail begins as a rocky jeep road. The drive takes you through a residential area. Please be courteous of others and their property. No parking after 10:00 PM.

Did this trail last weekend. Ran down the trail to find a rattlesnake literally on the lower third of the trail. I found this to be one of the better hikes in Utah. Steep and rugged and crosses streams. Loved it. Will do it again

Hiked up to the saddle on 5/19. There was a couple feet of snow the last mile starting about a half mile above the meadow. Wonderful hike. There are three or four water crossings this time of year. But I was able to make it without getting my feet wet. Don’t let the full parking lot at he trailhead fool you— 90% of those people will be hanging out along the creek in the maple groves along the first mile of trail.

hiked this trail for the first time 5/20. waterfall is raging right now. this time of year not for anyone uncomfortable with creek crossings. trekking poles would have been good for crossing the falls and the steep downhill. above the large meadow youll hit snow. follow the tracks through the snow and youll make it up to the ridge overlooking BCC but be sure to bring spikes for the way back down. will probably melt in a week or 2.

Amazing hike! Hiked it today 5/12 (first time) in the fog rain and it was wet and wonderful!!! A bit challenging to find, but worth it. (Stay to the left and watch for log crossings and rock cairns when you’re not sure of the trail.)

very beautiful trail with great views creek is dried up right now. And it is a steep and hard hike.

Make sure to wear hiking shoes lots of rocks and little steep but overall nice hike lots of shade - my dog seem to enjoy it

Neffs canyon is my dogs favorite!

Love this hike! First time going and the scenery is beautiful! Wear your micro spikes or you’ll have a hard/funny time coming down ;)

Gorgeous view! Can see the whole city view on the mountain

Beautiful right now!

This is an easily accessible hike for those in the SLC area. The trail rating of 'hard' is certainly accurate as it is quite steep and there are lots of portions with uneven footing. Not very trafficked, but most everyone on the trail brings their dogs (myself included) and lets them roam off-leash so if you aren't an animal lover this might not be for you. My full description of the hike can be found below:

Try to hike it today, but to much snow. What i saw was beautyfull.

Love this hike! There must be two routes. When leaving the parking lot the one on the left is on a pebble paved route that's easier. To the right is a more challenging route. But it's amazing! A lot of rocks and boulders. It's uphill and coming back the hardest part is not rolling your ankle. About 2 miles in the trail gets kind of lost with the fallen trees and foliage, but it picks up about 1/4 mile later. Didn't get much farther because the sun was starting to go down around 6 pm. I'll be going back for sure next week to explore it more.

Steep rocky and hot to the rope swing. Fun but the creek was mostly dried up when we got there.

This is my favorite trail in the vicinity of Salt Lake City. It's beautiful.

I took the south trail to the right at the rope swing heading up a rocky trail - slightly steeper climb, fewer people, no bikes (the trail is too rocky) - sweet solitude - beautiful transitions thru the lower deciduous trees to tall pines. One of my favorite trails.

There are a million and one off-shoot trails branching off in every which way in this canyon and it's easy to get lost. You'll be on the right path (generally, at least) if you just follow the base of the canyon as it ascends up the drainage.

Very nice hike with some challenging spots. Tree cover most of the hike, so it's nice and cool on a hot day. We hiked past the waterfall a mile or so, hoping for a view of the valley but never did see one, nevertheless, it's a great hike, even for dogs!
There's plenty of parking, no drinking water or bathroom though. No bikes, too rocky.

Tough hike but the meadow at the top was a great place for relaxing and refueling. Took us 3 hours 45 mins with a half hour break at the top.

Took the dogs out on a hike with my best friend to grab a few caches while I was in town visiting. I wasn't aware how much of an uphill hike it was and got a little winded, but the views were beautiful. There are several rope swings that are fun to goof around on about a half a mile in which made the uphill treck worth it. I can see how others have gotten lost easily because there really isn't a clear trail and at times it seemed like there were multiple trails that spawn off from the main. Overall good hike just tired and sore.

Saw moose and deer. Wild flowers are abundant. Fantastic sunsets.

Very easy, simple beginner hike, kid and old people friendly:) and there is 2 swings half way through the hike

Good:
Lots of cover, stream is awesome, foliage is lovely, super close to civilization

Cons:
Hard to stay on the trail (I lost it 3-4 times), lots of loose rocks, occasional hiking up wash, no real destination

Not a bad morning, but there are better trails.

Wew, lawd. This was a tough one. I'm an out-of-shape spaghetti-person, though, so take that estimation with a grain of salt.

The end of this hike is a junction where it meets to other trailheads. If you're throughhiking then that's fine, I suppose, but since I was expecting a Big Thing at the end, it turned out to be something of an anti-climax after the vile, unrepentant, uphill deathmarch it took to get up there.

So! There are two natural stopping points on this trail that are better than the listed one.

Option 1 is to do the first two miles, ending at the cute little waterfall. You can take some running water photos, catch your breath, and start back down.

Option 2 is set off past the waterfall, up the sudden and intense change in grade, muscle your way up through the tree cover, and emerge in the meadow. You can enjoy some wildflowers, take in the peaks around you, and then look down the grade on the way back and say, "Jesus Christ, I *did* that?"

Past the meadow is an overgrown trail that, this time of year, was absolutely thick with flies and has a really disappointing terminus.

Leaving that aside, though, this was a great hike. Absolutely lousy with scenic grottos and glades, and with great views of the valley as you head higher. You can get a straight shot all the way out to the Great Salt Lake as you pass the birch forest.

It was tough, but hey, if I could do it with my linguini-like appendages, you probably can too. :D

decent hike. high elevation change for the length and the lions share is in the last mile or so. flies out pretty thick as you climb, and there's not much payout for going past the meadow. really pretty though and good views down into the valley.

I really enjoyed this hike. The flowers were blooming and it was really quiet. Unlike Bells Canyon and Corner Canyon we saw less than half a dozen hikers in the five and a half hours we spent on the trail. There were tons of blooming wild flowers and swarms of beautiful butterflies and dragon flies along the way. It's shaded most of the way up even though we got a late start at just after 11:00 am. The meadow is a little over half a mile from the end point on this hike. I wish I'd known that when we continued on that the end of the trail was at the junction for two trails and sort of anticlimactic. Maybe I was just tired. Either way I recommend enjoying the meadow before turning around to descend.

Definitely worth working your way up to wildcat ridge.

a bit too hot for me today but it saves the best views for the very end so I'm glad I finished it off to the meadow.

really kicked my butt. It was 3 hours of straight up! but very rewarding. I'm happy I made it all the way to the meadow.

There was a mountain lion spotted yesterday about a half mile from the meadow up top. Be cautious and keep a lookout!