Orsen Smith Trail

Orsen Smith Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and mountain biking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Draper City Parks & Trails 1020 E. Pioneer Rd. (12400 S.), Bottom Floor Draper City, UT 84020 801 576-6571

I’m an out of shape lady, working on my fitness. 280lbs at the moment. (TMI, but it’s helpful to know). I thought I could handle this hike and I did. I did it. However, it took my longer than the average Joe. People flew past me going up. And the trail was sometimes narrow, so I politely moved out of the way as needed. It was also sandy/rocky but I didn’t mind. There were plenty of places to stop, catch a breather and enjoy the view. (Note no places to sit, but nice viewing points). It’s truly beautiful, with my weak little body, I hadn’t been on a hike yet that had allowed me to climb that high up to view such scenery. At times, I’d get discouraged, looking up, seeing people so high above me up the path— but I got through it. I should’ve recorded the time, I think it took me 20-30 minutes? Anyways, the climb was well worth it—we took the trail at the top to go to the Suspension Bridge. (There’s another hike link on here for that one) I’d do it again. Note: this trail also leads to other multiple hikes to top.

Great, easy “quicky” hike. Easy access with great views of the city. Great night hike. The lights from the city provide enough light to hike during the dark even without any head light.

Nice day for a hike with good views of the valley.

Nice trail with great views of the city. Wish I could have explored it a bit more, but I took my dog with me and it was just a little to hot for him. Def going again.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Added this trail as an extension of the Bear Canyon Bridge trail so I hiked it in reverse. I descended to the trail-head then climbed back to the junction. Steady climb with a lots of switchbacks. Trail is wide and easy to follow with signs at all of the junctions. It also has views of the valley at all times.

Monday, December 05, 2016

It gets icy as you get closer to the top, but of course I'm hiking in December :-) nice little trail with plenty of switchbacks so it's not too steep even though you're gaining elevation. You have to hike a little further north to get to the end of the trail than what the app says is the end of the trail...maybe another .2 miles.

recorded nearby Draper hike with ghost

Sunday, June 18, 2017