Onion Creek Trail

Onion Creek Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,007 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

The signs at the beginning of the trail from 128 suggest high clearance for creek crossings and some 4wd use may be needed. You will cross the creek about 17 times but the creek was rarely more than a foot deep. The views and rock formations are stunning in this area but the real highlight is driving through Fisher Valley. Hundreds, maybe thousands of acres, of flat, green pastures and sage brush hidden at the bottoms of thousand foot tall red cliffs. Up to this point the drive is easy and most SUVs and trucks should be able to make it to the Fisher Valley in ideal conditions. The next bit of the trail ascends up the canyon walls and into the La Sal mountains. If your vehicle struggles to make it up the hill coming out of the valley to the gate, this is a good sign to turn back. Plenty of stretches of 15-20% grade over rocky and loose terrain on narrow trails. The drive is incredible, climbing around canyon walls up to the top of a Mesa and into the northern La Sals, you are never left without breathtaking views. A few things to note... the lower part of the trail is at the bottom of a deep and narrow canyon carved out by Onion Creek. When it rains, water will come from all sides and be funneled down to the roadway. This trail is subject to flash flooding. Above the creek, you’ll find soft sand, red clay, and rock. Finding traction in wet sand or clay may be impossible if you get rained on, you can see on points where other motorists dig deep trying to get through thick mud. In other words, avoid rain. If you think it might rain, maybe choose another trail.

off road driving

beautiful trail. even in the dead of summer there was some small water crossings. wonderful spots for pictures. however, I'm not sure "point to point" is overly accurate. all the end points seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

off road driving

This was an amazing ride, the views were epic! The trials went on forever and were tons of fun! It was hot so make sure you have PLENTY of water to go with you!!!

off road driving

What a trail! We did Onion Creek all the way to the end at Taylors Ranch. We thought about returning back on the same trail but there's an intersection that allows you go out through Thompson Canyon.....That's when the fun started. I was in my stock 2016 Jeep Wrangler with a 2" lift so I felt good about heading off on this trail. But once you cross through "the gate" into the canyon (as some others have listed in their comments)....it's kinda like we got to keep going now cause I don't know if we can make it back up that climb...? So we continued on and ended up in the La Sal Mountains and eventually back on 128 to Moab. We lost cell service / GPS during the trail and we stayed that way for almost an hour before service came back and finally found out where we were and how to get out of there. So we had some tense but yet funny moments of being "lost" on this trail but eventually got out. The views are great but its just a fun off-road trail. After the trip I followed up on where we had been and I think we ended up on the Onion Creek and Hideout Road. Whatever it was,,,,we really enjoyed it. 4x4 is a must on some of those inclines on the Hideout Road.

off road driving

My wife, dog, and I did this trail on Sunday May 19th, not really knowing what to expect. The signs at the beginning of the trail from 128 suggested high clearance for creek crossings and some 4wd use may be needed. Seemed easy enough and we proceeded. The creek crossings were fine, I think we crossed the creek 17 times and the creek was never more than 12 inches deep. The views and rock formations were stunning in this area but the real highlight for me was driving through Fisher Valley. Hundreds, maybe thousands of acres, of flat, green pastures and sage brush hidden at the bottoms of thousand foot tall red cliffs. I do not consider myself an off-road driver and I may not be the best at rating trails, but up to this point I would consider it easy and would assume most SUVs and trucks should be able to make it to the fisher valley in ideal conditions. The next bit of the trail ascends up the canyon walls and into the La Sal mountains. If your vehicle struggles to make it up the hill coming out of the valley to the gate, this is a good sign to turn back. Plenty of stretches of 15-20% grade over rocky and loose terrain on narrow trails. I did the trail in a stock ‘18 Wrangler Unlimited JL. The Jeep did fine overall but there were some spots that had us nervous and I was grateful to not be any less equipped. I would have struggled if 4low wasn’t available. While somewhat difficult for us, the drive is incredible, climbing around canyon walls up to the top of a Mesa and into the northern La Sals, you are never left without breathtaking views. We then took the paved Castle Valley Road back down to Route 128. A few things to note... the lower part of the trail is at the bottom of a deep and narrow canyon carved out by Onion Creek. When it rains, water will come from all sides and be funneled down to the roadway. This trail is subject to flash flooding. Above the creek, you’ll find soft sand, red clay, and rock. Finding traction in wet sand or clay may be impossible if you get rained on, you can see on points where other motorists dig deep trying to get through thick mud. In other words, avoid rain. If you think it might rain, maybe choose another trail. It did pour later that evening after the drive and it was snowing on top of the La Sals. We were very grateful the rain kept away for us.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

This was our first 'off-roading' adventure in Utah.. and not our last, but of course our quickest bail out due to not knowing what to expect. We went over several creek beds and turned around without finishing it. Now that I see, we only went in less than a mile and came out! We really pansied out! We did drive further on the next road over that went to Fisher's Towers. There are also some campsites on this road that would be amazing to stay at! (We went on Sept. 10, 2017)

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

This was fun! Lots of creek crossing and incredible views and rock formations. This trail offers a awesome insight into the geology of the area. If you continue on to the Thompson Canyon/Polar Mesa it is it a much rougher trail but worth it (you'll need higher ground clearance). These combined trails make a great loop ride (we hate retracing our tracks). You end up on the Castle Valley Road heading back to Route 128. Again awesome views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Super fun! You drive though the creek a bunch, beautiful scenery. Easy to drive. I can’t believe it took me so long to experience onion Creek

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Fun trail! no need to go all the way. drive as far in as you want. at the end of the trail however, it is a STEEP incline up the canyon with massive rocks to go over. only recommend the last part of the trail if you're prepared

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

This is one of our favorite trails! All the water crossings are a bonus. The trail is easy and well maintained. We keep coming back to this one.

Friday, February 02, 2018

Onion Creek is full of strychnine. Please don't take your doggies on this trail.

Friday, November 24, 2017

did what i thought was this trail about 8 years ago. fresh walls on both sides, it seems to have been graded recently and is now a very easy trail. great views and could be fun for someone if that's your thing, i was just looking for something different. only made it 2mi i think before i turned around. oh and watch out! on my way back while going around a blind corner at about 4mph a SXS was going 15-20mph hugging the inside lane (mine) as tight as possible. they swerved/brake slammed and the woman yelled at ME. 07 ranger manual bilsteins 13psi 33" no lift no locker no sway bar youtube trail channel: b roll offroad have fun!

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Easy ride with the kids and mom in a 4Runner. Great way to get it wet and dirty.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Easy fun ride in Jeep. Take the kids and count the creek crossings.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Wow what a beautiful trail.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Onion Creek is such a fun trail. It's an easy trail and the drive through the canyon is amazing. This trail is good for all levels of off road driving experience. Have Fun!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

5 stars for the amazing views on this trail. Easy drive

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Managed to get our ford Explorer to the Totem Pole before we had to turn back due to mud. What we were able to see was beautiful. Next time we'll rent a jeep and explore the entire trail.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Quite a delightful drive, suprisingly busy. Many horseback riders, and bikers. There are several water crossings, especially near the begininng.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

The Onion Creek Trail is close to Moab off of Rt 128. The trail is well kept and affords easy Jeeping. The attraction is the scenic narrow canyon cut by the Onion Creek, with colorful spires and Hoodoos. Along with my sons Ron and Bob, we Jeeped the 20 miles up to the junction with the Taylor Ranch and Cottonwood Trail. We crossed the Onion Creek stream at least 20 times, a few times my son Bob would enjoy splashing through the creek getting me all wet in the back of the opened Jeep Wrangler. We returned back to Moab, after a great ride through some scenic country, and a few good laughs.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

This trail was by far the best one i have ever biked. The scenery is breathtaking, and its a fairly easy ride. the road is also compatatble for atvs and fourwheel drive, so riding it on the bike was trivial. I rode this with my dad and my brother. The thing is that it gradually increases on the way up, but there are so many ups and downs once you get your momentum going its a breeze. Every so often the creek intercepts with the path (around forty times there and back) so you get to ride your bike straight through the water. I had a blast and would recommend this trail to everyone.