Clegg Lake and Notch Lake is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 524 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Unlike most mountain hikes this easy trail goes downhill for much of its 2.3 mile length to the shore of beautiful Notch Lake making it ideal for children and beginners. With a handful of lakes within a short walk this hike is a fantastic entry-level backpacking trip.

One of our favorite places to backpack!

Beat the rainy/snowy weather. My dog and I hiked to Notch Lake. Clegg Lake was beautiful and the trout were jumping. Notch Lake was exceptionally low, but still nice. There were several very nice camping spots. The night sky was unbelievable. The overall hike was easy and I would do this hike again.

Trail in great condition very few needle nosed bugs. (So nice). Hey, who pulled the plug on Notch lake? Clegg was totally full of water but it appears Notch is being drained, and in a hurry...totally muddy around the lake and it was half emptied.

I absolutely loved this trail! It was super fun for me and my dog. It’s a hike down to the lakes and then up when you’re coming back out. Notch lake is pretty dried up right now, but even still it was beautiful.

BBKC BBRL 70-75 degrees

Great trail for younger kids on the horses. I don’t remember any steep or cliff areas on the trail. Kind of rocky but not so bad you can’t pick your way through them. Stayed at Notch lake, mosquitoes were horrible and fishing was slow. Rained quite a bit but we were camping in the mountains with family so it was good times. It helps when you are prepared for bad weather.

My group of six backpacked for three nights at Bench Lake (about half a mile past Notch) and we had a beginner backpacker with us. A great beginner trail! Only very small patches of snow left but none on the trail. Rocky at times. Decline in and incline out but it really isn’t too bad. Mosquitos were swarming us at Bench Lake, even with full strength deet spray and a thermacell - the worst was every night between 6-9 pm. No fish (we did see leeches and salamanders) at Bench Lake but solid fishing at Notch. Notch Lake had a ton of people staying there and the bugs were just as bad. If you can stand the bugs, I absolutely recommend this trail.

We do this hike every year and love it! We went up yesterday and there was still patches of snow we had to navigate or hike around. Fishing was good at Notch!

Went there on Saturday there is at least 2 to 3 feet of snow on the beginning of this trail. We turned back will try again later on summer. Some roads on these area still closed. If you miss winter go for it:). I gave 5 star because AllTrails don’t let you comment without rate, the area is so beautiful I bet the trail will be as well.

Tue Jan 08 2019

One of my favourite spots to backpack to. I did this in September, and it was lovely during the day, but pretty chilly at night. There are quite a few places to set up camp. My group went past Notch Lake and set up camp at Bench Lake.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Highly recommend. Beautiful backpacking spot. Lakes all over.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Went in early on a Friday and hiked by ourselves and it was beautiful... on the way out that afternoon we passed 60+ people. Crazy busy!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Loved this hike! Wild flowers were beautiful!

Sun Jun 17 2018

This was the perfect hike. Downhill to the lakes and the way back up was not bad! Definitely an easy hike you could take your whole family on to get some amazing view of lakes, mountains and meadows. I'm an avid hiker and absolutely loved this trail.

Sat Jul 31 1999

Nice easy trail that you go mostly down to get to the lake and then have to climb mostly up to get back. My wife thinks that this trail is uphill both ways. Notch Lake is a reservoir so there is a lot a bare shoreline in the fall. Some people like to jump from the cliffs on the opposite side. Bench Lake is also a litter past Notch Lake