North Skyline Trail

North Skyline Trail is a 21.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

North Skyline Trail is one of the access trails for hiking to Ben Lomond and Willard Peaks. Elevation gains are gradual and after a few miles of switchbacks you will hold the ridge most of the remaining trail. North Skyline Trail is a multiple purpose trail and you may come across hikers, bikers, trail motorcycles and horsemen. This trail is used year round with x-country skier's and snowshoer's using the trail in the winter months. The views along this trail are fantastic and you can see most of the valley below as you hike along the ridge line. No water sources are available so remember to carry enough water.

I did it on Father's Day, started at 5:30 am. It was a great hike even though unable to get to the peak on Ben Lomond. Was stopped by snow and ice about 850 feet from summet, tried to go around to no avail. Got back to parking lot at 12:45. I've been to the peak going up back way several times. I will try it again for sure.

Love this hike! I did it for the first time when I was 11. I've backpacked it plenty of times but my family hikes it every Memorial Day. We always leave before the sunrise and get back around 4 with plenty of breaks. A couple of us for the last couple years have hiked to the peak of Ben Lomond and then gone straight down the face. We've found a natural spring, (where we always fill up our bottles) a raspberry patch and 3 mines that are fun to explore. If you want additional details shoot me an email. Cottrell.charlie33@gmail.com. Definitely be prepared with good shoes and lots of water. The views from the peak are amazing!

At the moment there are still some big snow patches blocking the trail in some spots, so be careful!

This was probably the longest and hardest hike we have ever been on. We are pretty regular hikers we go on 2-4 hikes a week but this was super intense. The top and final switch backs up the side of mount Ben Lomond were brutal. Based on reviews we figured we would be okay starting at 10 but we ended up stuck on the mountain unprepared night hiking. This is not the best mountain to night hike due to mountain lions and bears but it was absolutely gorgeous seeing the sun setting on the way down. I would honestly suggest taking camping items in case you do get stuck like we did. I would have rather camped out then walked back in the dark!! Overall beautiful views of the city of ogden and eden as well as Willard bay, antelope island, and salt lake. You truly will feel in top of the world.

off road driving

Absolutely love this trail; we will often begin at Surfers beach and ride to Lewis Peak then over to No Ogden Divide and back to Surfers Beach. Its around 22 miles but so much fun. The trails have been widened which makes it not as nerve wracking as it was in previous years.
We've discussed making a night of it a couple times, but haven't yet. There are a few spots to do this though.
Everyone is always polite, dont go on a Saturday or holiday though. We rode on Labor Day and it was very busy....still fun, just busy.

Does anyone know if its maintained by a club or if its all Forest Service? Id love to help out.

It's a long, demanding hike but worth it!

Great Hike! Beautiful views!
Leisurely hiking, it took me about 8 hours round trip. I left the trail head at 0815 and had lunch on top.
Took a little over 5 liters of water and only had a little left over (100oz camel back and 4 frozen 20oz bottles). I froze the bottles the night before and then packed them against the bladder in my pack before I left home. By the time I needed to refill the bladder they had melted. Had cold water for the duration of the hike!
Decent level areas for camping just before you reach the second set of switchbacks. There were a few places on the backside of the peak too, but it was really windy up there.
Overall a great hike! Next time I go, I plan on leaving later in the day and making it an over-nighter so that I can watch the sun go down and see the city light up! :-)

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

Much less intensive than anticipated to summit Lomond, but final pitch and views from top were well worth 16+ mi round trip. Mixed use trail - motorbikes frequently need to pass on the narrow trail, but all were respectful and considerate. 5 hrs up and down with breaks.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

it was by far the longest hike I have ever been on but it was way worth the exercise.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

I was mountain biking and it was gravel and loose shake almost the entire way to the summit. It's probably a good one for hiking but I think where this is motorbike accessible they've created a lot of loose rock and due to the angle it's pretty rough to get good purchase and keep going.

Once you get on top the path is nice and the views are great. I just wouldn't suggest it for mountain biking. Come from the other side.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Fun just bring enough water

Thursday, June 30, 2016