North Peak Trail and Mount Nebo Trail

North Peak Trail and Mount Nebo Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santaquin, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,851 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Northern route to Mt. Nebo's highest peak. Mt. Nebo at 11928 feet is the highest, and southernmost peak in the Wasatch Range. It is a mountain of three main peaks. The first three and a half miles of the hike are easy with only about 1400 feet of elevation gain. Hike through beautiful grassy meadows accentuated by white fur and quaking aspens. The final leg of the hike is the toughest with 1300 feet gained in three quarters of a mile scrambling up loose shale and black lime stone. This hike is a steep one but it is definitely worth it - the views are spectacular. Nebo is an excellent hike for anyone who likes to bag high peaks and get away from the crowds of closer more frequented peaks. There are two or more routes one can take to the summits of Nebo. From the bench trail you can climb directly to wolf pass then to the north summit or travel further south and up to the south peak. Do not start this trail at the paved trailhead. Be sure to head right on the jeep road about a half mile for the actual trailhead

First of my seven peaks done today. It was strenuous. Probably the toughest hike I’ve ever been on. My buddy and I went all out and it took us 4.5 hours to ascend and 3 hours to descend, skipping the side trail to North Peak (we didn’t see it). The view from the Nebo was incredible, but only a little better than the second peak, so if scrambling over loose rocks for the final leg is not your thing, don’t feel like you missed too much. Thanks for introducing me to this hike.

Steep steep steep, mountain goats were awesome near the top. overall an amazing hike with amazing views especially in the fall... took me 3:10 to summit and 1.8 down total moving 4:49... I did run when I could

Beautiful scenery. Unique vistas relative to the more common Wasatch hikes. A serious calf burner. Took us 4 hours to summit, 3 hours to descend. Weather today was great, a long sleeve and a windbreaker were perfect. Hiking that false summit is no joke, you really do feel like you hike 3 summits in one day. Definitely worth making it all the way to the north peak. Saw deer and cattle, someone said they saw mountain goat. Really glad to mark this one of the list!

After doing Mt. Timp last year, I figured I needed to check off the highest peak in the Wasatch so Mt Nebo was added to the list. The Mt Nebo hike is shorter than Timp (9 vs 15 miles) and the elevation gain is less (3,800 vs 4,600) but it is very steep. We arrived at the Monument / Nebo Bench TH at around 8:00 and it was a chilly fall morning with temps in the low 30s. It had snowed a few inches in the Wasatch range two days before so I was concerned that there would be snow at the top which could prevent us from summiting as it would be too slick. The good news is that all of the snow had melted on the trail so it was game on. Our party consisted of myself, my buddy, his wife, two dogs (a goberian and a lab) and two younger buddies showed up about 2 hours after us. The trail starts along a livestock fence and my dog, the goberian, was chasing the cows right from the beginning but he soon listened to my repeated commands of heal and we got on with the mission at hand. The lower part of the trail was east facing and there are a few short rollers at the bottom so we were quickly shedding layers. The bottom part of the trail is pretty boring as you feel like you are crossing a cow pasture and then you enter a wooded section for about 1/3 of a mile followed by the first steep climb up an open bowl to the ridge. Once on the lower ridge, you now shift to the west side of the hill with views down to highway 15. You go through a series of a few ups and downs before getting to an open saddle. At this point, one of our hikers decided her knees couldn’t handle the decent if she continued up the next steep section so she turned around with the lab. It took about 1:30 to get to this bench area. So my partner, the goberian and I stepped up the pace and marched up the arduous, switchback laden ridge. At the top of this section is a false summit which is a great place to take a break and absorb the views of Mona Reservoir and Utah Lake to the north. Now the “fun” begins. You dip down from the false summit for a bit and then you start the final push to the north summit along a very narrow and rocky ridge line. This is not for the faint of heart or a novice hiker as it drops off on both sides. It is not a cliff but certainly a 40-50+ degree slope running over a thousand feet. My partner said several times, “I don’t like this” but he powered on and my dog had no problems. The final section required some scrambling but the main concern was the loose shale rocks. It was not technical per se but the loose rocks made it quite challenging. We got to the top in about 3.5 hours and upon arriving at the north summit - we debated if the south summit was higher. Fortunately, the north summit is 51 feet higher because the hike to the south summit looked very treacherous. As often the case, the descent from the top proved to be more challenging and I found myself working my way down on my butt a few times due to the loose shale. We got down in under 2.5 hours and our legs were definitely feeling the effects of steep down. Our total time was 5:45 but our moving time was under 5 hours and my two younger buddies did it in about 4 hours (they ran down). Overall, it was a pleasant hike and we only saw about 15 people all day which is very little considering it was a gorgeous fall Sunday. It is certainly not as pretty as Mt. Timp given that so much of the tail is above tree line and along a ridge. As one of my buddies said, “it wasn’t my favorite hike but nice to check off the highest peak in the Wasatch”.

perfect weather today...little bit of a scramble last mile but it looks worse from afar than it really was!

Conditions were ideal on Saturday., September 21st; no snow despite the Wasatch (in SL Valley anyway) getting dumped on last week. it's a tough hike because you have to go over PT 11,440 twice, so it's effectively three 11,000-foot peaks in one day. I particularly struggled with it because I was a little bit sick so, 8 hours and 20 minutes, but anyway you look at it it's a long day, but when you first hit the ridge and see the peaks off to the south... it's really breathtaking. I had the north peak of Nebo to myself for 20 minutes, before departing.. priceless

After doing Mt. Timp last year, I figured I needed to check off the highest peak in the Wasatch so Mt Nebo was added to the list. The Mt Nebo hike is shorter than Timp (9 miles vs 15) and the elevation gain is less (3,800 vs 4600) but it is very steep. We arrived at the TH at around 8:00 and it was a chilly fall morning with temps in the low 30s. It had snowed a few inches in the wasatch range two days before so I was concerned that there would be snow at the top which could prevent us from summiting as it would be too slick. The good news is that all of the snow had melted on the trail so it was game on. We had two dogs with us - one goberian (1/2 gold retriever & 1/2 Siberian husky) and a lab. The goberian was chasing the cows right from the beginning but he soon tired on got in with the mission at hand. The lower part of the trail was east facing and there are a few short, steep sections at the bottom so we were quickly shedding layers. The bottom part of the trail is pretty boring as you feel like you are crossing a cow pasture and then you enter a wooded section for about 1/3 of a mile followed by the first steep climb up an open bowl to the ridge. Once on the lower ridge, you now shift to the west dude if the hill and it was shaded around 9:00 AM. You go through a series of a few ups and downs before getting to an open saddle. At this point, one of our hikers decided her knees couldn’t handle the decent if she continued up the next steep section so he turned around with the lab. It took about 1:30 to get to this bench ares. So my partner, the goberian and I stepped up the pace and marched up the arduous, switchback laden ridge. At the top of this section is a false summit which is a great place to take a break and absorb the views of Mona Reservoir and Utah Lake to the north. Now the “fun” begins. You dip down from the false summit for a bit and then you start the final push to the summit along a very narrow and rocky ridge line. This is not for the faint of heart or a novice hiker as it drops off on both sides. It is not a cliff but certainly 40-50+ degree slopes. My partner said several times, “I don’t like this” but he powered on and my dog had no problems. The final section required some scrambling but the main concern was the loose shale rocks. It was technical per se but the loose rocks made it challenging. We got to the top in about 3.5 hours and upon arriving at the north summit - we debated if the south summit was higher. Fortunately, the north summit is 51 feet higher because the hike to the south summit looked very treacherous. As often the case, the descent down proved to be more challenging for me and I found myself working my way down on my butt a few times due to the loose shale. We got down in under 2.5 hours and our legs were feeling the effects of down. Overall, it was a pleasant hike and we only saw about 15 people all day which is very little considering it was a gorgeous fall Sunday. It is certainly not as pretty as Timp given that so much if the tail is above tree line and along a ridge. As one of my buddies said, “it wasn’t my favorite hike but nice to check off the highest peak in the wasatch”.

ROAD CLOSED 14 miles from TH. Could not make it to the TH coming from Slc.

Great workout!

First, don’t park next to paved road, drive down dirt road to right for TH parking. This one had LOTS of sun, wildflowers are poppin, and great views. Route can be hard to find after north peak but I did as others suggested and stayed near spine for most part and feel like I had a pretty good route (you can look at my recording). I never felt unsafe, or had my exposure-induced-anxiety kick in BUT if you have poles I’d definitely bring them bc of all the loose rock....and to make the stubborn grasshoppers move (there were lots of em).

This was a great hike but a few parts are kinda freaky. It’s hard to find a good trail, but staying on the ridge is for sure the easiest. We took a route down the west side of the ridge, and it was a scary scramble back up. The views are awesome though and it’s a great accomplishment!

This trail was awesome! It is pretty rocky toward the end so be prepared. Bring plenty of water and put on sunscreen.

Great Trail, awesome views. Quite steep at points. I will do it again for sure!

Awesome hike. This trail is steep but not nearly as bad as I was expecting compared to the other big mountains in the Wasatch. It took us 4 and a half hours to do the entire thing, my garmin put the distance a little over 9 miles. It is a lot of scree and loose rock near the top. Do-able for dogs but bring lots of water.