North Canyon Trail to Rudys Flat

North Canyon Trail to Rudys Flat is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail can be accessed through the Mueller Park Trail or follow 1875 South east bound to Bountiful Blvd., turn right (south) for 1.7 miles to Indian Springs Road, turn east and follow the road to its end where there is a green gate with a narrow walk through. The dirt road beyond the gate lead to the trailhead (this is private property, please stay on the road at all times). The National Forest starts where the road ends and trail begins.

A wide road trail - Need to bring up the Jeep next time. A constant climb, enjoyed the hike with my wife.

off road driving

Awesome trail close to town. Remember folks, this is a multi-use trail which means it allows dirtbikes all the way to Mueller and back. Hikers please be courteous and let riders pass. Riders keep the speeds down! There are a couple creek crossings which utilize raised bridges...these are treacherous when wet...please let the trails dry before use!

Just came down this trail from the Mueller park side. Nice trail.

Grand

Loved this trail. I've been running Mueller to Elephant Rock for the last 7+ years and had no idea this trail was nearby. I enjoyed this trail just as much with drastically less traffic. The rutted out road at the beginning of the trailhead isn't bad and gives you a little more mileage. Never encountered any overgrown portions of the trail either. Ended up seeing a few dirt bikers on our way back down around 8AM, but wasn't too much of hassle to allow them to pass. I look forward to using this trail many more times!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Okay, someone said it's not hard at all. If you hike a lot, then yes: it's not hard. I don't hike often, though, and found out the hard way that there are muscles I didn't know were used while hiking after this trip. The view was awesome, though. Totally worth it. I can't imagine what sunset must look like. Took me about 3-4 hours round trip to hike it. First half isn't too spectacular but it gets so good once you hit halfway. Also saw a hobo home in the first half. Lots of cyclists around 6 pm.

Monday, June 26, 2017

The AllTrails directions are a little off. If you are going to do this from the Canyon Creek Drive Trailhead, the trailhead is either at the end of the paved road Canyon Creek Drive, or you can drive 1.1 miles up the dirt road to the narrow gate. The dirt road is pretty deeply rutted in some places, and one lane with no room to pass anyone for most of the way, but people with SUVs and pickups were using the road and parking at the end. If you drive up the dirt road, that is going to make this a 4 mile hike round trip and it cuts out a fair amount of the elevation gain. I walked up the road, which was OK, but a little tedious. Lots of threatening signs about trespassing onto private property. Once you get on the trail, it is very nice. Not too steep, well shaded, and the views at the top were as great as everyone says in the other reviews. The trail is very well maintained and it's pretty obvious when you are at the top. I blew it by not going further to Rudy's Flat. I went early in the morning, and saw no people or mountain lions on the way up. On the way down there were some mountain bikers, runners and hikers, and one pair of people on trail motorcycles. The mountain bikers were mostly coming down from behind me, so I assume they started at Mueller Park. I was glad to be finishing early before the trail got jammed with all these varied activities.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

We stayed at Rudy's flat and hiked back in the morning. It was a perfect, short overnighter. Beautiful hike! Lots of camping sites at the top.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I really enjoyed this hike today. I only saw a couple people on the trail. It was a nice climb and not hard at all. It has a lot of covered trails but the top was breathtaking. I'm not very good with directions or I would have gone further. But I absolutely loved it!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Very beautiful evening hike to take. Breath taking views! It's about a half a mile drive up to the trail head, I made the mistake of walking in and by time I got to the trail head it was getting dark.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Awesome mountain biking trail. Watch out for the lions. Came face to face with a mountain lion up top that was jogging down the trail. We were staring each other down for about 20 seconds until someone on a motorcycle came down and he bolted into the bushes. Really pretty trail though!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

The trail in early May was mostly mud-free. I enjoyed the relatively wide variety of forest sections in such a short time - from pine, to aspen, to scrub oak. The trail is a mild climb to some pretty decent payoff views. It was well maintained and the insects were minimal. I was alone on the trail most of the time other than a few mountain bikers and one dirt-biker. I didn't love that motorcycles are allowed on the trail. Though the rider was respectfully careful, the noise was unwelcome.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Fun one to run, walk or ride. most bikers will use a bell to let you know they are somming so you can move to the side of the trail as they pass. take water and a light if close to dusk as it gets really dark once the sun is down. I love this hike!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful trail that is very well maintained. Is there a club that maintains it? How would I get in on helping with this?
We just rode tonight from North Canyon to Mueller park then took pavement back to the trucks. Really wanted to take the trail back but the weather wasn't cooperating. We did get rained on, but I think that also kept the traffic down.
We had 4 motorcycles in our group, most everyone was polite; with an exception thrown in here and there. I would love to see the signs a little more prominent on both ends so that everyone is clear about what is allowed.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Grade isn't too bad. Me and my friend (we are 15) made it up to the top in 40 minutes on our bikes and went down the mueller park trail

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Great trail for single track motorcycle riding keep a look out for mountain bikers they will probably yell at you for being here even though it's perfectly legal for motorcycles to be on this trail.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Great trail when you do the whole loop with Mueller Park

Sunday, July 10, 2016

you can loop this with muller park if you are feeling adventurous.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Hike it up run it down. Very nice, not as populated as the other side in Mueller.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Kind of steep, but it's a great way to access the mueller park trail

Monday, July 04, 2016

The hike itself was great but I couldn't stand the bugs, so many bugs.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

4 miles pavement to Rudy's Flat. I went when it was 97 degrees but once in the older forest it was much cooler. The dirt road leading from the pavement to the actual trailhead isn't bad but it's just that...a dirt road. The views further up the trail a special. I took a side trail up to a ridge providing views down into City Creek Canyon. Rudy's Flat was great. I will be coming back to camp. Trail is moderate. No sketchy parts so kid friendly. Even in early afternoon I had to jump out of the way of downhill bikers who were upset I deigned to be on their trail, LOL. I recommend a good loud yell before rounding blind corners/switchbacks. I recommend this trail. Very fun.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

I really love this trail! Almost the entire trail is shaded. It gets up to some awesome 360 views, but isn't very steep. We never got tired from hiking up hill, just from the distance.This trail takes you through many beautiful different looking areas. I was pleasantly surprised that we only passed one other hiker and 4 bikers the entire time. I think it is comparable to the Elephant Rock trail, but this one is way more shaded, prettier, and way less crowded. It was a good workout without ever seeming daunting.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Be careful with the bikers it was Ricky and it's a hill. I'm not doing it again it was just so hot that I couldn't go farther

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Just found this trail. It was really pretty nice wasn't to busy.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Nice trail. Jeep trail for first 1.4mi then the trailhead picks up. 90% shaded. Perfect for dogs.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Lots of shade help to make the an enjoyable hike. Great views and little traffic.

Friday, June 05, 2015

I started on the mueller trail on the way up and then came down north canyon. Lots of down hill, little ruff on the knees, but well worth it.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

My brother CJ introduced me to this trail,...basically take VALVERDA all the way east to the end in NSL. I weighed my all time high today 5.29.15 and brought my new fitbit surge watch. I was dead at about 1.5 miles in, so we turned around. ended up being about 3 miles round trip. There were a couple spots that require very good balance and traction because the trail was filled with water and we had a few inches of muddy ridge. Bring at least 2 water bottles per person if you cut the trail short like we did. It was hard, fun, beautiful.