North Canyon Trail

North Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail can be accessed through the Mueller Park Trail or follow 1875 South east bound to Bountiful Blvd., turn right (south) for 1.7 miles to Indian Springs Road, turn east and follow the road to its end where there is a green gate with a narrow walk through. The dirt road beyond the gate lead to the trailhead (this is private property, please stay on the road at all times). The National Forest starts where the road ends and trail begins.

Loved this trail. I've been running Mueller to Elephant Rock for the last 7+ years and had no idea this trail was nearby. I enjoyed this trail just as much with drastically less traffic. The rutted out road at the beginning of the trailhead isn't bad and gives you a little more mileage. Never encountered any overgrown portions of the trail either. Ended up seeing a few dirt bikers on our way back down around 8AM, but wasn't too much of hassle to allow them to pass. I look forward to using this trail many more times!

Okay, someone said it's not hard at all. If you hike a lot, then yes: it's not hard. I don't hike often, though, and found out the hard way that there are muscles I didn't know were used while hiking after this trip. The view was awesome, though. Totally worth it. I can't imagine what sunset must look like. Took me about 3-4 hours round trip to hike it. First half isn't too spectacular but it gets so good once you hit halfway. Also saw a hobo home in the first half. Lots of cyclists around 6 pm.

The AllTrails directions are a little off. If you are going to do this from the Canyon Creek Drive Trailhead, the trailhead is either at the end of the paved road Canyon Creek Drive, or you can drive 1.1 miles up the dirt road to the narrow gate. The dirt road is pretty deeply rutted in some places, and one lane with no room to pass anyone for most of the way, but people with SUVs and pickups were using the road and parking at the end. If you drive up the dirt road, that is going to make this a 4 mile hike round trip and it cuts out a fair amount of the elevation gain. I walked up the road, which was OK, but a little tedious. Lots of threatening signs about trespassing onto private property. Once you get on the trail, it is very nice. Not too steep, well shaded, and the views at the top were as great as everyone says in the other reviews. The trail is very well maintained and it's pretty obvious when you are at the top. I blew it by not going further to Rudy's Flat. I went early in the morning, and saw no people or mountain lions on the way up. On the way down there were some mountain bikers, runners and hikers, and one pair of people on trail motorcycles. The mountain bikers were mostly coming down from behind me, so I assume they started at Mueller Park. I was glad to be finishing early before the trail got jammed with all these varied activities.

We stayed at Rudy's flat and hiked back in the morning. It was a perfect, short overnighter. Beautiful hike! Lots of camping sites at the top.

I really enjoyed this hike today. I only saw a couple people on the trail. It was a nice climb and not hard at all. It has a lot of covered trails but the top was breathtaking. I'm not very good with directions or I would have gone further. But I absolutely loved it!

Very beautiful evening hike to take. Breath taking views! It's about a half a mile drive up to the trail head, I made the mistake of walking in and by time I got to the trail head it was getting dark.

Awesome mountain biking trail. Watch out for the lions. Came face to face with a mountain lion up top that was jogging down the trail. We were staring each other down for about 20 seconds until someone on a motorcycle came down and he bolted into the bushes. Really pretty trail though!

The trail in early May was mostly mud-free. I enjoyed the relatively wide variety of forest sections in such a short time - from pine, to aspen, to scrub oak. The trail is a mild climb to some pretty decent payoff views. It was well maintained and the insects were minimal. I was alone on the trail most of the time other than a few mountain bikers and one dirt-biker. I didn't love that motorcycles are allowed on the trail. Though the rider was respectfully careful, the noise was unwelcome.

Fun one to run, walk or ride. most bikers will use a bell to let you know they are somming so you can move to the side of the trail as they pass. take water and a light if close to dusk as it gets really dark once the sun is down. I love this hike!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016