Neck Spring Trail

Neck Spring Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 666 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Island in the Sky Visitor Center: Drive southward on Utah 313 approximately .5 miles to the trailhead.

great trail! amazing views while trekking in and out of the canyons. A bit of a scramble to get out in the end.

Wonderful trail, views and not busy. We did the trail counterclockwise which I would recommend. The trail down into the canyon more gradual with some scrambling on and over rocks. The climb out is much more abrupt and steep. Doable either way. I just prefer going up steep rather than going down it. We also hiked out to the overlook and I clocked 6.6 miles. I would recommend this hike and the moderate rating.

Hiked this trail in blistering hot conditions. Route sometimes difficult to follow and quiet. It's also longer than shown at the trailhead. Great views out NW to canyons and cliffs. Interesting steep scramble out of canyon floor to regain slabs on top.

Great hike on a Sunday morning. We were the only ones hiking there! Great views. There was one fun but challenging area 3/4 of the way through! The hike is a little longer than what is stated here.

Enjoyable Hike. There were 3 sections that I had to slide down on my buttocks. The toughest challenge was a very steep section of slick rock that I had to climb, about 100 feet tall near the end of the trail. Fun and challenging.

A fun trail for my first time in canyon lands. It got boring after awhile because the scenery and views didn’t really change. You have to scramble a bit about halfway through but it keeps it interesting!

Great trail for a quick stop to Canyonlands. Ran the first 4 miles and hiked the remaining 1.8 (it is 5.8 as NPS says not 5.3). Easy to follow, intermittently rocky and sandy. The scramble at mile 3.3 is a fun challenge as others have said.

Highly recommended. Only saw a few people, nice elevation changes, a couple of scrambling parts. The cairns keep you on point. Stunning canyon views near the end.

It’s a nice enough hike but on a rainy day, less than stellar. More up and down than I expected. Fairly varied in terrain and scenery.

Mostly easy hiking - a few steep places coming out of the canyon but nothing technical. Scenery is world class!

We went in January - lots of snow and ice. Found it a bit boring. Scenery in the park is epic but for 4 miles of this hike you are stuck down in a canyon. Two highlights were seeing a herd of deer and seeing a frozen waterfall. Otherwise, it was just drudging in snow. And one part was a hilariously icy scamper up rock cliff. Wouldn’t want to do that twice!

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Very fun hike, I accidentally deleted my recording, took us around 4 and a half hours at a very leisurely pace, with some extra exploration and lunch. It was fun seeing the canyon from below, saw some old ranching artifacts including a fascinating equipment to get water up the hill to some old water troughs.

Thursday, September 27, 2018

We hiked this trail on a Saturday in September. A lot of scenic overlooks and a variety of terrain and vegetation. It took us about 3.5 hours including a stop for lunch. There’s a bit of scrambling up some rocks at the midpoint (as mentioned in some other reviews), but we didn’t find it too bad.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

I really enjoyed the variety of foliage and trail. Loved that there was a bit of scrambling and challenge stretch. Would def do it again

Saturday, September 01, 2018

This is a moderate hike and must take plenty of water. The two of us drank almost 5 litres. There is one or two sharp steep short climbs but generally nice to walk. Vegetation is abundant and we spotted Stellar Blue Jays and Ravens. Many animal tracks but nothing sighted. This is a nice loop with views. Wish we had got closer to an Arch in the canyon below.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

started at 715 am and this 6 mile hike took 3 hours and 50 minutes. the first hour we were in 90% shade, it is a beautiful drop down into the canyon. winding around, going both up and down allot..... views are stunning! saw many lizards the whole hike and some beautiful birds. the uphill climb at mile 4 is on slick type rocks so it is not too bad. was able to maintain good contact and grip the whole up. the last 1.5 miles is somewhat boring but the whole time in the canyon is stellar.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

This was an amazing hike with great views from the valley floor and along rim tops. It was harder than we thought which was great. A lot of rock climbing up slick rocks which wasn’t to bad. Started trail at 7:15am and did t see another person. Exceeded our expectations on every level.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

This was a nice solid hike to get our legs ready for Canyonlands. A few structures remaining from cattle ranching days, and seeing all the green vegetation down and around the springs was certainly cool. Hiked this in a hot nearly 100 degree day in late June, but we started early so it wasn't so bad. The last 2 miles or so are a bit lackluster, just walking along the mesa top and eventually paralleling the road, but necessary to make the trail a loop I suppose. Didn't see any other hikers on the trail the entire time.

Saturday, June 02, 2018

Great trail. Canyonlands calls it a 5.8 mile. Is a steep climb out on slick rock about 1/2 way through. Took about 4 hours. Stopped, taking a lot of photos and for a snack break or two.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Solid moderate hike. We started at about 10 a.m. on Memorial Day weekend and only saw 1 other group of hikers on the trail so it seemed to be a low traffic hike. There was 1 steep section around the midpoint of the hike that had us huffing and puffing a bit but overall I'd consider this a moderate hike.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

This review is by two 70+ year old hikers. We loved this beautiful trail and we only saw two other hikers. But it is not an easy trail and the slick rock scrambles about 2/3 of the way are not for those without leg or arm strength. While the trail is well marked with rock piles it measured 7 miles by a pedometer and a GPS and will take 3 to 5 hours depending on the amount of pic taking, picnic stops, etc. Bring lots of water!

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

This is a DIFFICULT 5.8 mile hike. You have to crawl up rocks at one point. I enjoyed the hike but it took us 6 hours at a slow, enjoyable pace stopping to eat lunch. Moderate hikes are usually great for us. This is rated moderate but I disagree. Also, I drank 3 L of water during this hike. Four of us hiked this trail and we are in our late 50s and early 60s. April 23, 2018.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

This was an awesome hike for the Sunday in February after Valentine's. My girlfriend and I took about 4 hours to complete this, and we were both impressed by how well marked the 5.8 miles of trail was. Great hike especially on a windy day, which it was, since the trail drops down into canyon area 300 feet. The last mile though involved some heavy winds and sand blasting, if you will. Though we only hiked this one in Canyonlands, it gets five stars from us for a reason!

Thursday, November 09, 2017

nice trail. not too hard. did have a couple areas that were uppy. we left out at about 9am, early November. brisk weather but pleasant. a handful of other hikers. did get solitude. did not need my poles. views all along were amazing. great hike! plan for 2-3 hours. in November it's a two bottles of water and a Clif bar kind of trail.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Fun hike. Started just at sunrise and enjoyed the coolness of the canyon.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Hardest hike I've ever done ! When they say steep - they mean STEEP!! At Mike 3, you have to literally climb up the side of The Rock ! No steps! Be careful !

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

enjoyed it as there were several different terrains to experience. A bit of scrambling involved near the end but great view when you reach the top. We were essentially alone the entire trail and only saw two other hikers roughly 15 minutes behind us. Saw 2 deer and all types of lizards, chipmunk, prairie dogs.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Very good trail, pretty views.