Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Trail

Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bryce, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 623 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that portions of this loop may close due to weather and freezing overnight temperatures. Other trails in the areas can still be used to make a full loop. This hike is considered by many to be the best way to see the hoodoos in Bryce Canyon. The views from Sunrise Point and Sunset Point on the rim area stunning, but you will experience an entirely different Bryce Canyon from the canyon floor while looking up at the hoodoos. You start by hiking down Wall Street, a narrow canyon with high rock walls on either side. Soon after, you will reach the flat canyon floor with the option to finish the Navajo Loop or continue on along the Queens Garden Trail to see more of the canyon. If you have time, hike on to Queens Garden where you will see some of the most spectacular formations in the park. After you final ascent up to the rim you will arrive at sunrise point with a final view of the canyon. Hoodoos go through several stages: First they start as plateaus and water erodes away the sides until they become fins. Once the things become fairly skinny, holes will erode in the middle of them, creating a window. Finally, after more erosion, the top of the windows will break away leaving a hoodoo in its place. In Bryce, most erosion occurs from "frost wedging". Rain seeps into cracks of the rocks, and when the temperature drops the water freezes and expands, which creates larger cracks in the rocks.

icy

Amazing trail. We hiked it in the snow and that made it even better. The trails starts at the top and it winds down into the canyon providing different viewing angles around every corner. This trail is an absolute must do if you visit Bryce. The trail itself was a little slippery on the way down but got better the further you went. We did it without crampons but would’ve been a good hike for them. Roads were all plowed so no issues getting to the hike.

icy

This was a stunning hike. We started out in sunny weather and it started to lightly snow on us about half way through the hike. This was no problem. I would consider my husband and I in good shape. We stopped several times to take a lot of pictures and video and the trail took us about 2 hours with the stopping and icy conditions (we wore our hiking shoes and layered clothing, no yak tracks or hiking poles). For a novice or beginner hiker I would recommend spikes on shoes or poles, or a combo of both as a portion of the trail is down icy/ slushy slopes. Overall an absolute dream to hike through with the snow. I will absolutely return during in a different season to see how the landscape changes!

icy

I hiked this trail from Sunset Point along Navajo Loop to Queen's Garden Loop and up to Sunrise Point just before Thanksgiving. It had just snowed the day before. The vistas over the hoodoos and the valley below were breathtaking. The first 1/4 mile was by far the hardest because of extremely icy conditions on the steep switchbacks leading down into the canyon - I almost lost my balance several times, but in the end it was worth it. The canyon floor was peaceful and I saw a few birds and chipmunks in the more densely forested areas. The climb back up past Queen's Garden was definitely less icy and steep and went quicker. Very beautiful hike that lets you see the landscape from different perspectives.

3 hours and 23 minutes to complete, but that was with a ton of stopping for photos. This is our favorite hike of any that we have ever completed - it is absolutely stunning! We did it 11/21 in the fresh snow and thought it made the canyon even more beautiful. You could add in the peek a boo loop if you want a longer trip.

absolutely beautiful

Bryce Canyon is a breathtaking park! The rock formations are unreal and the overall park is amazing. I wish there were more challenging hikes though.

This was such a beautiful hike! We chose to head down by way of Wall St. and are so glad we did!!

This was an awesome hike! There are countless angles of the hoodoos from low and high places. (September)

Sepctacular

We had only a short time in Bryce, and this loop was perfect to see the hoodoos.

It was satisfying to get in and amongst the tight hoodoos. Be sure to get a good gander at Thor’s massive hammer. A must-do, hike!

The most amazing views I have ever seen hiking. Bryce is other-worldly and this is at the heart of its magnificence.

Don’t miss Thor’s Hammer right as you start heading down Navajo... start early to beat the crowds, and bring lots of layers for the fickle wind/weather. Queen’s Garden had more of the darker red rock and sweeping views of the cliffs in the distance. Truly gorgeous hike, and I would rate it as easy for sure.

More up close and personal than fairyland trail. Moore’s people but still cool. Climb up on Navajo was awesome

Great loop even for a somewhat beginner as long as you’ve got some stamina to get back up! Pretty crowded even in October but definitely worth a few hours!

I have visited Bryce many times, but I have never been IN Bryce. You have to hike down to truly appreciate the pure beauty of the place. Incredible! I fell in love with wall street.

Really beautiful scenery. Orange and pink hoodoos against blue sky were spectacular. Did it clockwise and saved the best for last; Wall St slot canyon. Final climb up was tiring but plenty of switchbacks and shade allowed more time to take in the canyon. Suggest going early. Got crowded but was a school holiday so lots of families. Took us about 4 hours but had lunch at bottom of canyon and added on Two Bridges and Thor’s Hammer. Don’t miss Wall Street

Amazing!

Navajo Loop is beautiful - Queens Garden is meh

Beautiful hike. The first half mile and the last half mile have all of the best views. The rest of the hike is kind of pointless. hopefully that's helpful

A fun trail with beautiful scenery all around, really gives the visitor a good taste of what Bryce has to offer.

Absolutely incredible hike. So beautiful. Just do it.