Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Trail

Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bryce, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Please note that the Wall Street portion is often closed due to freezing overnight temperatures. Other trails in the areas can still be used to make a full loop. This hike is considered by many to be the best way to see the hoodoos in Bryce Canyon. The views from Sunrise Point and Sunset Point on the rim area stunning, but you will experience an entirely different Bryce Canyon from the canyon floor while looking up at the hoodoos. You start by hiking down Wall Street, a narrow canyon with high rock walls on either side. Soon after, you will reach the flat canyon floor with the option to finish the Navajo Loop or continue on along the Queens Garden Trail to see more of the canyon. If you have time, hike on to Queens Garden where you will see some of the most spectacular formations in the park. After you final ascent up to the rim you will arrive at sunrise point with a final view of the canyon. Hoodoos go through several stages: First they start as plateaus and water erodes away the sides until they become fins. Once the things become fairly skinny, holes will erode in the middle of them, creating a window. Finally, after more erosion, the top of the windows will break away leaving a hoodoo in its place. In Bryce, most erosion occurs from "frost wedging". Rain seeps into cracks of the rocks, and when the temperature drops the water freezes and expands, which creates larger cracks in the rocks.

This trail is really, really cool. Hiking Bryce Canyon was a bucket list item for me and this place definitely did not disappoint. The rocks look like they’re from another planet. It’s relatively short hike and has a moderate elevation gain. If hiking in the summer months, bring lots of water. It is appropriate for children, but not dogs. The top part of the trail is heavily trafficked. But if you hike down into the canyon, you can get quiet and unobstructed views.

Great views, well traveled trail. Steep ascent at the end difficult for the elderly/out of shape

Fyi: currently closed until snow melts, won't be for a while.

Hiked late April. Just stunning. it was a beautiful day and lots of wonderful photo ops.

Did on Jan 3, 2019. One of the most awe-inspiring, beautiful, out-of-this-world hikes! Especially in winter with the snow dusting the rocks. Parked at the lot near sunrise point. Started at sunrise point, went down queens garden trail, continued onto Navajo loop (Wall Street portion was closed but took the other leg to get to sunset point, then walked along rim trail to get back to sunrise point. Did the hike in hiking boots— was a little icy/slippery especially at the tops of the trail near sunrise point and particularly sunset point, but hiking boot were fine. Wouldn’t really recommend doing it in street shoes during winter when it’s icy— lots of people slipping especially trying to go down the trail from sunset point (more heavily trafficked in that area so the ice was slicker)

Definitely a great trail, went down queens garden to Navajo (also did the peakaboo loop) and we wore traction going up Navajo because of the ice. The hike was gorgeous and highly recommended, but I was glad we asked the ranger who recommended going up Navajo instead of down this time of year.

I hiked Bryce Canyon National Park in early October. Weather and temps were perfect hiking weather. We hiked down the Wall Street section and hiked back up the Navajo Trail. I did that loop as one hike. (If I had to pick, the Wall Street section is slightly better than Navajo Trail). I'd have to say that hike is probably the best and most scenic hike that I have done anywhere in the U.S. I thought it was better than any of the trails that we did in Zion. The scenery is incredible, and the rock structure and formations are so unique to any other trails I have done. The trails are a bit steep, but they aren't too bad if you are younger or in decent shape. I would rate the trails as Moderate. We also did a separate hike down to the Queens Garden section, and then hiked back up the same trail. The Queens Garden was neat to see, but was nothing like the Wall Street and Navajo Loop Trail section. I would suggest the Wall Street and Navajo Loop Trail as the loop trail to do at Bryce. As a side note, Bryce Point is worth a stop to see as well- great overlook. It overlooks the whole ampitheater area. If you are looking at the different Utah parks or considering which ones to see, Bryce N.P. is a must stop on your trip. It is so unique and totally different from Zion. You can see and hike the best trails in 1-2 days in Bryce was enough for our group.

We started at the sunrise point and ended at the sunset point via queen’s garden trail, Navajo loop and the rim trail. Beautiful hike in the snow. We had ice trekkers on our hiking boots that helped walking on the icy trails.

Awesome hike! The views were incredible, especially with the light layer of snow. I would recommend shoes with really good traction, or bringing along some microspikes, since some of the switchbacks can be a little slippery from the snow/ice.

Oh. My. Goodness. The views are breathtaking. Definitely follow the park’s footwear rules!

Completed this stunning loop on Christmas with intermittent snow flurries, was just gorgeous, micro spikes would’ve come in handy for getting in and out of the canyon.

Absolutely stunning trail. Amazing at sunset. A bit of snow- spikes would be helpful but not necessary. Highly recommend!

Arriving just as the sun appears in the east is a perfect time for morning hike, trail traffic is extremely light and the temperatures are in the comfortable 50s.
One of the first trail treats is Thor’s hammer. Thor’s Hammer may be one of the most photographed features of Bryce Canyon as it’s located a short distance from the beginning of the Navajo Loop trailhead at Sunset Point.After hiking past Thor’s Hammer, a series of switchbacks descend down about 650 ft. to the amphitheater floor as the Ponderosa Pines welcome you. Next the trail gently traverses across the heavily forested amphitheater floor, and in the distance you can hear the neighing and snorting of horses as their riders guide them along the equestrian trail. No other sounds seem to be present for the next mile... just the soft music of my shoes caressing the trial and the alluring swish of the ice in my canteen. Further on the beautiful rolling terrain becomes dotted with the Colorado Pinyon. This hearty shrub is more suited to the drier elevations and its wide root system keeps each one a good distance from its neighbor.
This has been quite an intoxicating experience!

Beautiful wintry hike through the hoodoos. The views at the start are phenomenal, and as you hike down into the valley, they get even more unique and interesting. The trail is really easy to follow. Wall Street was open for us and was a fun, although very short and super steep, slot canyon. We added on Peekaboo Loop - fantastic!

Amazing Trail!

October 2018- Amazing trail! We parked at sunset point and saw a beautiful sunrise over the hoodoos with a sparse crowd. Unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. You really feel like you are on another planet. Highly recommend. Every corner you turn you’ll want to take a picture! Took us a little under 2 hours.

We parked our car at Sunrise Point parking lot. Started our hike from Queen Garden trail to Navajo trail and end at Sunset Point. The loop is a little under 4 miles and easy. Beautiful trails with amazing hoodoo. Highly recommend if you have time to hike for 2-3 hours.

Did about half of the trail as a run, in part because when i started at sunrise it was about -13c. Absolutely one of the coolest places ive hiked. Strongly recommend. I also ventured off on peekaboo loop for an extra couple of miles to complete the "hike the hoodoos challenge." Well worth the extra distance.

A beautiful hike. It is recommended to start from sunrise point and ends at sunset point. It's a 0.5 mile walk along the rim to go back to sunrise point. Gives you some nice views all through out. You walk 0.8 miles down hill the queens garden trail, about 0.6 mile on flat surface and take the novajo trail uphill. It's a steep but doable hike. Definitely recommend. Weather was perfect with the sun playing hide and seek. Jackets and ear muffs helped us stay warm.

This was a fun hike. We strolled at a leisurely pace and enjoyed the sites. I can see why this is the most popular hike in Bryce. Highly recommended for families

Great views, fairly easy hike, super crowded.

Completed the loop by taking Wall Street, the slot canyon to the right of the fork. Missed seeing Thor's Hammer that way, but the slot canyon was so unique (and usually closed by this time of year). It was a bit crowded in the canyon, but crowds started to thin out as we made our way onto the Queen's Garden portion of the trail. Spectacular scenery! I can see why this is called a "must do" for Bryce Canyon.

Amazing

This trail was amazing! The Queen Victoria formation really looks like Queen Victoria. You have a choice of going up the Two Bridges trail or the Wall Street trail to finish the loop. I did Two Bridges. Wall Street is the “slot canyon.” I saw a Steller’s Jay and a chipmunk.

The view of the switchbacks looking down on Navajo is amazing!

Beautiful hike the whole way through. It's a bit strenuous, but is most definitely worth it.

If you only have one hike to do, do this one.

Very nice very steep! Landscape is captivating! Amazing formations around every bend! A must see

Awesome trail, obvious why it’s so popular.

I’m glad we came down through Wall Street on the Navajo Loop as it met up with the Queen’s Garden Loop. Others were coming from the other direction and I thought the switchbacks and entrance to Wall Street was more majestic coming down onto it instead of coming up it.