Navajo Lake Loop

Navajo Lake Loop is a 10.1 mile loop trail located near Alton, Utah. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a beautiful ride, and I would do it again, however I can't give it 5 stars. I took my wife and two children on this ride. We ranged in ages 17 - 51, and while my wife and I are more experienced bikers, my children aren't so the moderate rating is all depending upon your point of view. Let me give everyone some tips (I have been ridding mountain bikes for about 20 years now so I do have some experience in this area):
1. Users have said ride this clockwise, don't do that. EVERYONE rides this counter clockwise. We road this clockwise and it was much more difficult (steeper ups and hard rock climbs). Plus you run into everyone else riding it CCW. Just make sure you know how to find the trail when crossing the road as you have about a 1/2 mile on the main road before the trail starts again.
2. Some parts are maintained, but the side closest to the road have two different fallen trees that you need to portage across. One is fairly large and you need someone else with you to help each other.
3. The steeps are more steep than people make out below, your lungs will be burning as you are at high altitude. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone below the age of 12 or you will be out there all day as they will need to walk a lot.
4. It is technical at times (several rock drops and loose gravel). Anytime you add single track, it becomes technical unless you have ridden it a lot, so again for non experienced riders, this will be more difficult. Moderately experienced mountain bikers will have no issues. I would say some parts would be considered hard while others are easy. Hence the moderate rating especially with climbs.
5. Watch out for loose gravel and rock (mostly on the lake side), my daughter had a nasty wash out and got her first good road rash on both knees … some good mountain bike war wounds we like to say.
6. Take water, especially in the summer, it's longer than you think.
7. My wife and I both used our Garmins, and it's more like 11.5-11.6 miles. Now it's possible they are off slightly, but not a mile. If you are checking with a phone or a bike odometer they are probably off more than a true GPS.
8. Be prepared for spectacular views … take a phone or camera for pictures (I used my GoPro).

Fun, easy walk with my 3-yr old (who loved the lava field).

This is a great non-technical single track ride. We took a group of 15 around the lake and all riders aging from 12 to 45 made it the whole way without any trouble. The trail is a lot of short ups and downs through the pine and aspen trees. There is even one spot where the trail hits an ancient lava field. I'd highly recommend this one. Can't wait to try it again!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Navajo loop trail is an awesome ride. Not very technical, for someone who hasn't ridden much in the last few years. Well maintained trail. Exercise caution through the lava beds because fishtailing might lead to an unfortunate encounter with a lava rock. (Just a scrape and it was totally my mistake. )
I would recommend this to anyone.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

rode the loop clockwise two days ago... the trail is in great condition... trail crews were out there cleaning it up the week prior, no fallen trees. Super fun pretty flowy, I plan to take the family next time. The lake is at 9000 feet elevation so my nostrils and lungs were burning a bit.

Monday, May 30, 2016

I just biked this trail on Saturday (May 28, 2016) and it still has snow patches and huge fallen trees. It hasn't been cleaned up yet for the summer. It is still an awesome ride! The views are amazing and there aren't many people there at all. Will do again.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

This is a great singletrack trail with a bit of everything - climbs, downhill flows, great views of the lake, old growth pines, meadows and even a segment through an old lava flow. Nothing too technical but I agree with the 'moderate' rating due to some of the climbs and the approx. 9,500' elevation.

To avoid losing the trail, be sure to go CW from the trailhead (or from the trail crossing on Navajo Lake Rd.).

Saturday, June 29, 2013

This trail loops around beautiful Navajo lake in Dixie forest in southern Utah. It's pretty easy but you go over some different terrain all in one ride. It's not strenuous at all. I put it on my 'to-ride' list every summer.

Friday, May 19, 2017