Navajo Knobs Trail

Navajo Knobs Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Capitol Reef Visitor Center: Drive eastward on Highway 24 approximately 1.5 miles to the Hickman Bridge Trailhead. Follow the Hickman Bridge Trail .25 miles to a fork. Bear right at this trail fork and follow the Rim Overlook Trail 2 miles to the beginning of the Navajo Knobs Trail.

Straining route up in the sun got us really down but the mesmerizing scenery pushed us forward. In this hike you can see every important geological feature of the park.

Pretty awesome hike if the weather is cool and the sun is shining, which it was the day we hiked it (60-70F). We left around 8:30am and returned around 1:30. The hike up to the rim overlook was moderate I'd say and definitely worth all 5 stars for the view at the overlook and the Hickman bridge overlook. The beginning of the hike went through this black boulder field area for about a 1/4 mi and was really different. Once past Hickman bridge overlook we were off to the rim overlook and the trail followed the face of the mountains, meaning it went into (and down) the canyons then out (and up) the other side. Going to the rim overlook we hardly noticed. After the rim overlook its 2.2 mi of uphill hell (with the occasional downhill section as we went into the aforementioned canyons). The scramble up to the top of the knob was fun and the views pretty darned good, but they're mainly east looking and not into fruita or the fold, so half star deduction for that if I could. Still, overall a 5 star hike for sure but if it was just the section between the rim overlook and the knob, I'd give that section 4 stars. Oh, and even as cool as it was, I went through 2l of water so bring enough.

Lots of incline but beautiful views the whole time. Great trail.

Great hike! We finish it in 4 hours and 15 minutes, having lunch in top and stopping to take pictures. It's hard but worth it!!

Great trail!! Very nice hike with great views at the end. However, quite a long hike so be aware of what you're getting in to. Took me around 4.5 hours, and i consider myself pretty fit. If you're up for a long hike with lots of elevation change, this is a great one. Make sure to bring food and water

This is an amazing trail that continues past the Rim Overlook trail. The sign at the junctions says 2.2 miles one way to the end. As mentioned in the previous review there are a lot of ups and down on slick rock. And the view from the top of the knob is spectacular. Not for those who may be afraid of heights. And if you are lucky you may see Deseret Bighorn Sheep like we did. Because of the time of year (February) we didn't have to deal with the heat. We also always start early in the morning for the same reason. Because we live at 4,200 feet and hike about the same number of miles every week we were able to complete the hike in 3.5 hours. So if you don't meet that criteria, plan for a much longer hike.

Great trail! Beautiful views the whole way. One of my favorite trails in the area!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My wife and I hiked this last year on our maiden voyage to CRNP. My 4-star rating is really a 4.5. It is a long hike, so start earlier than normal, or you risk horrible heat emanating from the slick rock as you descend. This hike loses a half-step because of the repetitive and pounding slick rock; 80% of the hike is up or down it. Wear sturdy boots that are comfortable and allow for the constant sliding and pressure of your feet moving toward the toe portion of your boot. You can't stop them no matter how you tie your boots. The views of Fruita are beautiful, and the views into Chimney Rock and toward Cathedral Valley are worth it. Scramble to the top of the Knobs and you get the 360-view, plus the adrenaline rush of height and accomplishment. Not for kids or the injured or overweight. Bring snacks and a lot of water.

Monday, May 16, 2016

I have hiked a few 360 degree points but this one tops them all, throughout the hike you will have a breath taking view of the canyon, this trail is majorly along the rim. Performing this hike checks off Rim overlook and Hickman bridge overlook. For us it took between 4-5 hours, make sure you have ample water, trail mix, and lunch if required.
At the end is a very short climb but this is well worth the effort, for me it was very windy so could not stay at summit longer but those few minutes up there were totally worth it.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This is an awesome trail with great views all along the way. This is one of the best trails in Capitol Reef. One of my all-time favorite hikes!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014