Murdock Peak via Old Red Pine Road

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(154)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Murdock Peak via Old Red Pine Road is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,948 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

1. Take the Old Red Pine Road trail (directly across from the bathrooms at the parking lot) 2. Turn left when the trail dead ends just after a wooden bridge. You'll have hiked quite a ways, you'll see a creek and a fairly flat trail in a meadow. 3. Hike for about a mile. You'll come to the crest trail, just before your current trail and crest merge is a sign "No bikes on odd days". 4. Look to your left in the grove of Aspens, that's the trail up to Murdock Peak. Murdock peak has a white board on it attached to a box, that's where you're going. There will be much bush whacking to get to the top. Long pants are recommended to protect your legs from the vegetation. The gate to access the trailhead closes seasonally around the beginning of November.

Really an enjoyable moderate hike up Millcreek Canyon. There is still some fall colors out there, but it has really died down. I have to say that I didn't have the same experience of not being able to follow the trail as other reviewers have mentioned. I believe the key is to head up the peak right where the Old Red Pine RD Trail meets with the Wasatch Crest Trail. Going up I followed the trail shown on the map and it was harder to follow than taking the trail I previously mentioned. The viewpoint from the peak is fantastic.

Hike is quite the gentle aside from when you deviate off the main trail to begin getting onto the peak itself. Trail can be a bit difficult to find for the final .3 or so miles, pay attention.

Fall is in full swing, colors abound and there is light snow and ice in places. Such a beautiful climb up to the top, although I didn't realize the hook left near the saddle could be tricky to find, that will teach me for not reading more before proceeding. I used this as a test to see if the Tendinitis in my foot is healed as it is not particularly steep, so far so good, and I will be returning to finish the job as soon as possible! Really nice canyon, really nice hike, spectacular views, what more could I ask for?!

Trail is in good shape. Just a little mud.

Great and underrated hike. The views once you hit the ridge line to summit Murdock were worth the overgrown patches of bush you push through. I was blown away at the beauty of this trail! And doing it on a sunny fall September day was such a nature treat. Be sure to consult with the map while hiking- you hang left a lot, and there’s one part towards the end-ish where the trail forks as it goes around the park city side- you’ll need to cut off left again and the trail is hard to find. Some nice people have laid out logs where you’re supposed to go so just be sure to watch for that. I think it’s about 2-2.5 miles in. The climb to the peak isn’t technical but it’s a decent amount of steep and gets your calves burning good. The trail was lightly trafficked; we felt we had it to ourselves mostly!

So amazing! speechless. lost the trail because of the snow when it broke off but not to bad. @fit.spell

I love this trail for so many reasons, except the first 30 minutes of steep ascent :-) The river along the hike, then a bit through the shades forest, with the fresh smell of coniferous trees, really brings joy to my soul. Also, the beauty of the wildflowers and the open meadows and the sweet creek, and then the vistas from the top of the mountain overlooking The Canyons are amazing!! I go all the way to Murdoch Peak (ski lift) and sit down to have a little bite to eat before going back down to my car. Mountain bikers and dogs are plentiful. Check days if you want to avoid them.

Down via Little Big Water.

Good hike but at the end the trail becomes hard to see due to bushes but not bad at all.

Watch for the "bum, butt, derrière" tree on your left while hiking up. So funny! (about 1.5ish miles up) You can miss the trail easily if you are not paying attention to your All Trail's map. At the large "3 way trail intersection" look for the overgrown trail off to your left. There are some logs and sticks piled on the side...enter there and up you'll go! Check for ticks when you get home due to all the overgrown brush.

Great hike! Dog friendly going in and out of a stream on the way up. Most of the hike is a gentle incline through the forest with a steep climb at the end for the summit. We missed the fork to the summit on the way up: it’s tough to find at the top where the WCT intersects, if you see park city you’ve gone too far. Bring pants even if on trail, the ascent is very scratchy.

Started early and had the trail and summit to myself. Tons of wildflowers. The trail from the ridge to the summit is very overgrown. I had long pants and was glad I did. Great views.

So green this year. Beautiful flowers, and most of the trail under the shade. At the end, before climbing to the Murdock summit there is a crossroads and the trail is not well signed so we have to go up and go down by crossing the Aspen Forest.

Great hike: good trail, birds, butterflies, and wild flowers galore.

the hike was amazing, but where to head up towards the peak, we were unable to find. Ended up off trail for a while due to this.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Took the huskies up past the closed winter gate all the way up to the Old Red Pine Trail thus adding another 9 miles to the journey. The elevation gain is spread out very gradually, but yeah this is a long walk / run ... At any rate, it's highly recommended ! Very secluded and plenty of room to think. Murdock Peak offers excellent views overlooking Park City, Millcreek Canyon and across the Wasatch Range.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Lovely easier trail, at least up to the steeper climb at the end. Those noting that the trailhead is too busy are just going in the wrong season. If you wait until the gate is closed (usually 11/1) and bike up, there is no one there at all :-) I pondered heading up the wasatch crest trail, but it looked like the snow got deeper, so I followed the ridge from Murdock over to Millvue, then bushwhacked down the slope back to the parking lot.

Mon Jul 16 2018

The wildflowers are stunning and are every bit as pretty and as many as other locations in the Wasatch Mountains. The difference—hardly any people because of the limited parking. We skipped the hike to Murdock Peak, went to the overlook instead and then hiked down the Great Western Trail to connect with another leg of the trail to dog lake. We logged 8.5 Miles. Fantastic!!!!

Sun Jul 15 2018

One of my favorite favorite hikes! Flowers are stunning right now! My pups also love this trail-.plenty of water along the way right now! FYI-loads of biting flies.remember the bug spray!

Tue Jul 10 2018

The wildflowers are simply splendid. Bikers are courteous for the most part but they really go fast and I consider them a hazard. I will try to schedule on odd days from now on. This is a pretty easy hike. A steady climb on a well maintained trail. Nice bird activity and plenty of shade early in the morning.

Sat Jul 07 2018

This was a really pretty trail even though we only made it 1.5 miles out. The wildflowers are very pretty! It was a little confusing to figure out where to start, but we got lucky and got parking right at the trail head. The drive up was on a paved road, but it got a little tight in some areas because of how many cyclists ❤️ and other cars there were. We didn’t make it to the top so we didn’t get many scenic views, but I still loved it! The trail itself was not as busy as the surrounding areas.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Ran the trail with my pup last week and it was fantastic! Be prepared to bush-whack the last bit to the peak, the views and wild flowers are worth it. Great refuge from SLC summer heat. Will definitely do again!

Sat Apr 21 2018

My wife and I love this trail. Not a lot of traffic, and some gorgeous wildflowers. We hike up this trail even when we’re not going to the top . . . just for the solitude!

Tue Aug 01 2017

Busy trailhead but no one took this trail. Not overwhelmingly steep with lots of flat sections to allow trail running up. Last part there is no single trail, pretty much a bushwhack to the peak. Amazing views.

Sat Jul 29 2017

The trail was great up until the last 500 vertical feet. I saw two moose and went over to a canyons ski lift, so that was really cool. Once you finally get the point of getting to the peak there is almost not trail at all. The view is great however, and not busy at all.

Sun Jul 16 2017

Hiked up from the Big Water trailhead. Arrived at the saddle right at dawn for a beautiful sunrise. Then climbed Murdock Peak which had great views in every direction. Followed the ridge to Millvue Peak and then down the Lambs Canyon trail to Elbow Fork trailhead. .

Wed Jul 05 2017

Great hike in the heat of summer. Can run up most of the trail. Recommend following GPS near the turn off toward the peak or you can easily miss the trail. Can add some miles by taking big water trail on the way down.