Mule Hollow Mine

Mule Hollow Mine is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Moderate to difficult 2.5 mile out and back. Depending on the time of year, you may cross water several times, so make sure to have appropriate footwear. The trail is overgrown and unmarked, so it may be a little tricky to navigate at times. Stick to the creek; you shouldn't have much difficulty finding it when it reappears. Once you reach the first mine tailings, you'll have to do some bushwhacking to reach the other three on the other side of the creek

Hiked 4/29/18
This hike is straight up with no forgiveness. Lots of spring crossings along with hiking up streams. Your feet Will get wet, just be ready for that.
There are many downed trees, I'm going to get 12+ That you have to scramble over. Along with ducking under another 4 or so trees. This trails is very rocky and boulder filled. It is Very technical, because of that, I would rate this as hard.
There is a LOT of bush wacking, be prepared to be walking through a lot of leg scrapping bushes and plants. Wear pants!
We only found 2 of the mines, this part of the trail is virtually impossible to follow. People have hiked all over so it's easy to follow the wrong path.
There is a rocky landing at about 3/4 a mile up that has wonderful mountain views. Not long after this the trail becomes steeper and much harder to navigate with a lot lot more bush wacking, if you want a significantly easier hike, stop there.

This trail was rated as a moderate. I would say that it's more towards the difficult side. Definitely not for a beginner.
This is listed as a 2.5 mile hike. It is more towards 3. Or more depending on how far you go after the first sign of the mine.
The trail can be difficult to follow.

You will most likely get your feet wet. There are several river crossings and there are parts that are literally hiking up the stream. So bring some extra footwear for the ride home.

My recommend gear would be trekking poles and a machete. Further up, there are several spots that require bush whacking.

We were able to find the first two abandoned mine shafts. On our way to the third, we lost the trail and turned around.

We didn't see much as of wildlife. We saw a couple small lizards and a deer bedding spot.

There are some great views though.

We also picked up some trash on the way out. Please be respectful and clean up after yourself. Thanks!

4/29/18

Many creek crossings. Creeks are flowing in the Spring. Best I can tell, in some sections the creek is the trail. Make sure your boots are waterproof. If you are more than 50 ft away from the creek, you are off-trail. There was a bull moose on the trail near the mine.

Not a particularly beautiful trail but once you get to the top there are gorgeous views all around. It is difficult to follow in spots (more so uphill than downhill) and is quite steep.

Mostly covered trail with sections that are nearly overgrown. Trail is not well marked. It is uphill all the way there and can be strenuous in sections. My activity tracker measured it as 1.7 miles each way. Ran into a small rattle snake on the way down. Beautiful, peaceful hike.

Friday, August 04, 2017

We got kinda lost a couple times on the way back, the trail isn't very clearly marked the whole way. Not a big deal but we had to navigate through some thick brush. Has some very nice views.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

this trail is missing in multiple sections and very hard to navigate.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

The trail is overgrown and a little tricky to navigate at times.

Friday, February 17, 2017

there are a few side social trails, and you can follow the canyon up as far as you want.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I definitely want to try again next year in late spring, before the vegetation grows over the trail. To get to the mine trails is definitely longer then .5 miles. I didn't know it was going to be so long, so we didn't take headlamps. I was looking for a quick hike to go on with my daughter for our weekly visit. It was the wrong hike for that but it was fun.

Monday, July 04, 2016

please note: dogs are NOT allowed in this canyon at all, this is Big Cottonwood water shed. we heard the fine is $650 no warnings. I'm not sure why this says dogs on leash?

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Really pretty right now, the views across the canyon are beautiful! We couldn't even find the mine though, maybe we didn't look hard enough...

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Nice short hike. Mostly shaded and climbs steadily, crossing the river bed frequently. There was basically no water, but would be nice to do in the spring when there should be some water flowing.
The end opens up to a decent view at the site of mine. Not one of my favorites, but still nice all the same.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

This hike climbs moderately through shade and trees along a trail that is sometimes very rocky and other times a very smooth dirt or shale. It follows the stream bed at times and other times the trail runs parallel. Today there was no water in the stream bed to worry about. There were many fallen trees that required going over, under around and through which always adds another dimension to a hike. Wish it wasn't so smokey and see where we had hiked up Stairs Gulch a few hours earlier.

Saturday, August 01, 2015

This hike is a nice escape from the valley after work. The trail follows a stream and is mostly shaded with diverse vegetation. The trail crosses the stream several times so depending on the water level and skill at hopping a rock or to, you may get your feet wet. There are some places with a few fallen trees that you must navigate around, over, and/or under. At the end there are some remnants from a small old mining operation. The view as you descend on your return offers some spectacular views across the canyon. The trail was not crowded at all. Well worth it.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Moderately difficult trail. Multiple stream crossings, fallen logs, rocky areas. Was difficult to find trail for last 0.2 miles. Mines were less impressive than I expected. Beautiful view from the small plateau with the cart rails.

Friday, June 05, 2015

Nice after work hike. Spectacular views. The trail is shaded and has lots of vegetation which could lead to overgrowth later in the season. I would rate this hike moderate due to obstacles such as fallen trees, multiple stream crossings and some rocky spots. Fun and worthwhile.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Pretty hike. Was rough terrain; not Easy. You have to hike across the creek over and over again. I slipped and feel while crossing and got pretty wet and banged up.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Definitely a lot harder than I expected. It was overgrown, and hard to keep on the right path. Crossed the stream many times, climbed over fallen trees. Actually went twice, the first time I gave up, then the next weekend when I went I just pushed myself and I was able to make it to all 3 mines. Super beautiful though and amazing to see the mines and imagine their history. I wish I could read somewhere about their history.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Did this hike on February 16th. Not much snow until the first mine. The top of the tailings pile was completely covered and only a small portion of one mine car rail was visible. Will have to come back when the snow is gone. I lost track of how many times I had to cross the stream to stay on the trail. At least 15 for the whole hike. Definitely wear long pants, no matter what time of year it is, since the trail is overgrown in many places. Was a nice hike with gorgeous views of Storm Mountain.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Steeper/harder than I had first imagined. The trail was quite overgrown at times but
there was a lot of pretty scenery along the way.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Trail climbs steeply with only a few breaks. Crosses the water a couple of times but there wasn't much water this time of year. Only made it to the first mine

Saturday, May 17, 2014

This was a bit harder than I expected. short but decent climb and it crosses the creek a ton. Only made it to one mine, the trail after is very over grown, if we had long pants we would have gone further. Great views and fun if you don't mind getting your feet a little wet.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

If you like trails that you can explore, this would be a good one. This is a lightly used trail that is unlike most of other trails in the area. The scenery is different, but still nice. I had to hop over quite a few downed trees to continue following this trail. About a mile into the trail, past the mine car rails, I could only find one mine. I wasn't sure if this is where the trail ended, but this is where I decided to turn around because everything was so overgrown. I might hike this trail again to see if I can find all four of the mines.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Gorgeous hike. This trail is currently very overgrown, so long pants would benefit all. Many places the trail seems to die out, but keep looking and keep moving up the mountain and you will finally get to all the tailings and you're there. Gorgeous views from atop, only able to find one mine filled with water.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Strenuous, pretty short but with a really good elevation gain. This trail is not frequented much, and is good if you're looking for a more "solitude" type experience. The trail disappears often, and routing-searching skills would be a good benefit. I've met many people who've never found the mines, despite multiple efforts. The views of Storm Mountain are incredible. Good shoes and water are a must!