Mule Hollow Mine

Mule Hollow Mine is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October.

old growth

Four abandoned mines. Mine car rails still protrude from the collapsed shafts, and one still has a partial (not enterable) shaft. No structures remain except for cabin foundation rubble. Steep in places, short but climbs rapidly. Good shoes are a must, and trail finding skills would prove to be a big benefit. The trail is overgrown and a little tricky to navigate at times. Stick to the creek, and you shouldn't have much difficulty finding it when it reappears. Not suggested for small children. One you reach the first mine tailings, to reach the other three are on the other side of the creek, and will require some bush whacking (though they aren't far!) to reach.

We got kinda lost a couple times on the way back, the trail isn't very clearly marked the whole way. Not a big deal but we had to navigate through some thick brush. Has some very nice views.

this trail is missing in multiple sections and very hard to navigate.

The trail is overgrown and a little tricky to navigate at times.

there are a few side social trails, and you can follow the canyon up as far as you want.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I definitely want to try again next year in late spring, before the vegetation grows over the trail. To get to the mine trails is definitely longer then .5 miles. I didn't know it was going to be so long, so we didn't take headlamps. I was looking for a quick hike to go on with my daughter for our weekly visit. It was the wrong hike for that but it was fun.

Monday, July 04, 2016

please note: dogs are NOT allowed in this canyon at all, this is Big Cottonwood water shed. we heard the fine is $650 no warnings. I'm not sure why this says dogs on leash?