Mount Timpanogos via Timpooneke Trail

Mount Timpanogos via Timpooneke Trail is a 14.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,566 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Timpooneke trail to the summit of Mt. Timpanogos is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Utah. This is one of two routes commonly used to access the towering 11,749 foot summit. This challenging trail boasts of beautiful wildflowers, as well as opportunities to spot wildlife including mountain goats. The trail can be completed as a long, strenuous day trip, though some decide to breakup into a multi-day trip.

It’s a great trail, but way hard for what to me was not a worthwhile payout. 15 miles of cold weather and steep incline lead to a long day that being said the view is gorgeous and it was a fun, but it also sucked, so take it as you will.

Trail head at 6. Started on the trail by 6:20. Summit around 12:30. Back to TH around 4:30-4:45. Had a few small mishaps that added a chunk of time on the way up. We kept a steady pace but took a ton of breaks!! The first 5.3 miles we cruised up and made really great time, slowed way down once we got to the saddle. I really underestimated the amount of scrambling that had to be done, GOOD SHOES/BOOTS are a MUST on this trail. Pack what you absolutely need but not a bunch of extra. Plenty of people on the trail today too. Weather was perfect!! Sunrise was gorgeous, and my dog enjoyed the trail a ton!!! HIGHLY recommend but keep in mind, this is a hard hike. Worth it! But definitely a work out.

Obnoxiously long switch backs and quite a few people. Less water access then the aspen grove side but gorgeous nonetheless. Saw 11mountain goat, 3deer, 1fox, & life flight flew right up the canyon and circled above that hut by emerald pond. Took my Aussie Shepard whole way without issue. I felt strong hiking and made it up in 3hours and 10min and back down in 2.5hours! :)

Got a late start, parking lot was getting full by the time we made it at 7:30am. Even with all the people on the trail it was nice and quite with an occasional group of people in passing. The trail was in great shape, couple icy patches by the spring crossings, but nothing serious. Took our time and enjoyed the hike up, still made the Peak by noon and spent a little time enjoying the beautiful day. No wind and full sun made for a great picnic on top.

This trail was incredible! Lots of beautiful things to see/experience. Difficult however very worth it. Made it a 2 day trip and loved having a piece of the mountain to ourselves for a night. Must do!

Beautiful trail from beginning to end.

This hike is awesome. One of the best big mountain trail hikes I’ve done! And you can DEFINITELY bring dogs. I saw several and they were happy as can be. I brought my pup on Mt. Nebo and this was WAY better. She would have loved it.

Started at 5:00a No one immediately around us on the trail, but plenty of headlamps up and down the trail as we progressed. Time to summit: 4h25m Summit to parking lot: 2h45m From the summit we traversed over to the glacier field with intent to slide down. No chance. It was a sheet of ice at this point, mingled with exposed rock. Hiked back to the summit (can we count that as summiting twice this season?) and then back down the trail. Total elapsed time: about 9h Wear layers! Between the shade, wind, sun, elevation gain, blocked wind, etc, we stopped to undress or redress at least 5 different times; maybe unnecessary, but we stayed comfortable the whole time which can make or break a hike. 3L of water was sufficient. My buddy brought 2 and was fine.

Amazing hike and views. My wife and I had been planning to do this all summer but ended up pushing to October. Definitely wear layers - I run warm so I had a long sleeve and shorts and was just fine in the 25 deg weather but my wife was frozen even with three layers on. All in all we started at 3:30am so we could summit at sunrise. 15.28 miles and 7:45 hours later we were back at the car. Once you get to the saddle the final accent gets a bit sketch with no clear trail and you have little room to pass others - people had they dogs up there and were struggling a bit. I wouldn’t recommend going all the way to the top with a dog but that’s just me. Didn’t get a chance to see a moose but saw plenty of mountain goats and some deer. Planning on doing the other trail to the top in the spring.

spectacular trail. didnt run into snow but it was 13 degrees and super windy from the saddle to the top. recommend layers. beautiful views and not as many peopl as I'd expected.

great hike not a lot of sbow yet. I would definitely recommend wearing layers and a hat. Amazing view and will probably do again.

Absolutely gorgeous views! Totally worth the blisters and swollen knees. We used MapMyRun and clocked it at 15.1 miles round trip. Started at 7:30, reached the summit at 12:30 and then back to the parking lot by 5:00. We needed a jacket and gloves in the saddle and summit. Highly recommend!

this trail is just as trafficked as the other side but id say the better of the two. this has a steady incline whereas aspen grove is steep incline that seens to never end. this has beautiful views all around and some water falls near the bottom. look for goats at the top of the basin near the summit!

What a hike!!! All other recent reviews are spot on about little sections being slick from mud and little bit of snow, but nothing to fret about, especially if you have poles. Views...amazing! On the trip down I didn’t recognize a few parts, because I think my head was up the whole time on the way up looking at the views. Only difference I saw was the timing. It took us longer than most. We stopped to take pictures along the way, smell the proverbial roses, and have a mini picnic on the way up. We “walked”, whereas most people we came across were jogging down. All in all it was a little over 9 hours for us. Would absolutely do again!

Awesome hike with breathtaking views! We did this hike a little over a week ago and hit snow. Some slippery parts but nothing crazy. Wildflowers, mountain goats and serene waterfalls grace this trail. Don’t stop until you get to the top. That last little push at the top with the steeper switch backs is worth the view! Keep going! The descend down brings new views and new pain in the legs. One foot in front of the next! You got this! This will become a yearly tradition!

If you're in marathon shape, consider a training run to the summit. Most of the trail is on a gradual enough grade to make it "runnable" at a 10-12 minute/mile pace. For a sub 4 hour marathoner, the round-trip can be done in 4 hours. September weather is perfect for adding this to your St. George Marathon training plan. There are plenty of rocks, so if you aren't sure footed maybe don't take the chance of a sprained ankle, but for me it was one of the greatest runs ever.

Trail was awesome. A little bit of snow. We started around 3:00pm and it took us about 6:30 hours. One of the best views in the Wasatch. Honestly not too bad of a hike, long but not steep at all until the very end.

Being your microspikes for sections of mud and light snow/ice. I’m sure you could get by without them, particularly if you have poles, but why take a risk on a slip. Beautiful day, nice people on the trail. No complaints.

Amazing hike, highly recommend crampons/spikes and trekking poles because of the recent snowfall. If you’re getting to the summit in the early afternoon however, the sun should thaw a bit of the ice on Timp.

9.22.2019 started at 5:00 am, and found plenty of parking. Shot up the trail at cold-ish 28-degrees. Had lights that led us to “bonehead” falls, which we named because we accidentally took the wrong trail turn from the main trail and ended up at the waterfall. Slight 15 min delay and we were on our way. Peaked at 8:30 am over packed and slippery ice. Top was a little sketchy due to snow this week, but we made it with some care. The trip down was muddy as the sun started to warm the dirt, and another hour after us probably saw pretty mushy trail conditions. Unbelievable that this scenery exists. Great adventure! Finished at 11:45.

icy

Couldn't see Utah Valley because of the fog/weather and the climb up was crazy slippery. But it was still an awesome climb. The fog made you feel like you were on a different mountain. I think without the snow it would've been much easier, but either way, I'll be doing it again!