Learn more

Mount Timpanogos via Timpooneke Trail is a 12.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 12.8 mi Elevation gain 4,425 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (6)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

There are two main trails to the top of Timpanogos, one of the most popular hiking destinations in Utah. This is the Timpooneke trail to the towering summit of Mt. Timpanogos. This challenging trail boasts of beautiful wildflowers, as well as opportunities to spot wildlife including mountain goats. The trail can be completed as a long, strenuous day trip, though some decide to breakup into a multi-day trip. Some of the switchbacks can be long and arduous. This route can be trail ran, but it requires excellent physical shape. You might see moose and goats along the way. A few good sources for trail conditions are the Pleasant Grove Ranger District, and TERT (Timpanogos Emergency Response Team) Facebook page. The parking lot gets really packed on the weekends, so get there early!

There is a parking area and a vault toilet at the trailhead.

There are no campfires allowed in Timpanogos Wilderness.

Go east on 92 into the canyon from I-15. Turn right (south) onto 056 and you're at the Mt. Timpanogos North Trailhead!

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (919)
Photos (1583)
Recordings (533)
Completed (2484)
Lais Nascimento
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

One of the best experiences I’ve had in UT so far!!! We’ve started 8AM (6 people group) we head back in the parking lot about 10 PM. We’ve taken 6h til the summit and 5h heading back til the parking. I don’t recommend a hiking day trip if you are not in good conditions. It’s not that steep and actually one of the best trails I’ve experienced at least til the base. From the base til the summit there are some snow parts what is not a big deal if you have hiking shoes. Trekking pools helps A LOT since this part of the trail and specially getting down from the summit. An energy gel helped me a lot!!! I recommend plenty water, bar, fruits, sandwiches... Best part of the adventure in my opinion it was the opportunity to see many types of wild animals!!! Impressive, wild and free!!! It was the happiest part!!! Great place to backpacking and enjoy the silence!

Morgan Cameron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020
BackpackingFee

Tough trail steadily up hill. There's still snow on parts of the trail up to the summit 2 or 3 parts that honestly were pretty dang sketchy in the evening without any type of spike. They were starting to harden and get slippery on the way down as it got colder, honestly was pretty scary cause if you slip, you're done. The top is pretty cool though, after your heart attack calms down haha.

Trent C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

From the Pleasant Grove Ranger District: Mount Timpanogos Trails Update July 6, 2020: Scout Falls (1.5 miles) is free of snow and has been very busy. The size(amount of water) of Scout Falls is shrinking as it is spring fed. It can stop flowing as the summer progresses. Intermittent snow begins toward the top of the Giant Staircase (about 10,000 feet/5 miles) and continues (through Timpanogos Basin)toward the Saddle or Emerald Lake. The trail toward the Saddle is still snow covered and can be very steep/icy. The trail from the Saddle to the top is free of snow. Emerald Lake is mostly free of ice/snow along as is the area around it. Rivers can still fun fast beneath remaining snowfields and often are hidden from view. Hikers are strongly advised to hike only to the snowline for safety. Flowers in the upper basins should begin blooming toward the end of the July. Parking is limited on weekends (particularly Saturdays)at trail-head.

Russ Laraway
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

wow. for a quick pictorial review that supports 5 stars, check it. https://twitter.com/ral1/status/1279827562135351297?s=19 for my wife's 47th she said she wanted to hike up Timp and watch the sunrise. so we did! trail was in great shape. within the last mile of the summit there's still quite a bit of snow across the trail. slightly more unsettling it's a long way down if you lose your footing. if you were to stop a bit short of summit and skip those, no one would fault ya. but we brought "mini crampons" - made of silicone and spikes. slide em on and we were gooooood! also saw a bunch of high school kids who looked like they did all of about 4 minutes of prep and they were fine, too. last point. hiking up at night has many advantages, well documented here, especially heat, but the key one is all the glorious surprises that you "never saw" last night because it was dark. my wife and I are in good shape, and this was a slugfest for us. we started the first mile or two too quickly, and by the time we got to the summit we were pretty beat. touch hike. at 7.25 miles and only 4,000 feet of elevation gain, I was pretty surprised at how hard it was. from somewhere between 17% (home 5200 ft) and 38% less (summit) than sea level, use caution. to those billie goats among us, good on ya. if you live in Utah Valley and have not done this hike, I think Septa Unella said it best, "SHAME.".

View Russ's Recording
Jeff Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
RunningNo shadeRockySnow

Got on the trail just after 7, recommend starting earlier, 6am to avoid the heat. There’s shade for the first 2 miles and then you’re pretty exposed the next 5miles to the summit. A few small/short snowfields to cross, with good shows it’s no biggie - with a hiking pole it’s easy. Crampons not needed, leave’em at home. Last 1/2mile is not quite a scramble - but loose and steep, watch for the trail markers Bc it gets hard to stay on the trail.

Peter Tekiela
HikingRocky

Very strenuous, need to be in excellent condition, amazing views. Need to bring plenty of water or filters. Watch our for snow packs, would recommend hiking poles.

View Peter's Recording
Timothy Barry
Hiking

Unbelievable hike. A few snowy patches near the top but very manageable. Pushed the pace a bit, round trip ~5 hours total of hiking plus an extra 45 min or so at the peak to enjoy the views. Highly recommend!

Craig Frank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
IcyMuddyOff trailRockyScrambleSnow

Did this hike over a 2 day period. Went up late on Thursday night and pitched a tent in the Meadow. Got up early in the morning before the trail got busy and reached the saddle just as the horizon was starting to Orange-up. I reached the summit about an hour later. The trail was pretty navigable. There were about 5 or 6 patches of loose melting ice that required some scrambling as I made the ascent to the saddle. It was doable, though. Probably one of my top 3 hikes. Saw plenty of mountain goats on the cliff side. And, 2 moose on my way down just off the trail. Lots of friendly hikers to talk to, which increased the time it took to hike the trail but was totally worth it. The views were AMAZING!

Andrea Erekson
HikingFeeSnow
View Andrea's Recording
Karolynne McHood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingIcyMuddyScrambleSnow

Started the hike yesterday about 11 a.m. The ascent during the first 6ish miles was very doable with the elevation since my boyfriend and I do long distance running. We stopped a few times to talk with fellow hikers about how bad the snow was at the top. Upon talking, we learned the a man and woman had slipped and fallen from some of the snow near the top. The woman had managed to catch herself before gaining significant momentum when her husband was able to climb down carefully and help her back to the trail. The man was not so lucky and hit some rocks and had to be life flighted out. We are not sure of his fate. We actually saw the helicopter lifting him out, so BE CAREFUL! We got to some of these ice/snow fields the last almost mile at 3:00 p.m. where we slowed down significantly. We managed to cross 5 of the 7 snow fields when the two of us with only our hiking boots and some sticks we managed to find got very bad feelings about crossing the final 2 snow fields. We ended up turning around and starting our descent. Even though we didn’t make it to the summit, the hike was absolutely beautiful and definitely anyone living in the area should do if they can do it safely. We plan on coming back next August to try and make it to the summit.

Taylor Moss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingSnow

Finally made it up to the summit. So beautiful and amazing. The part just below the saddle to the summit ridge had several snow fields to cross. Going up I just used a trekking pole. Coming down those I was glad I brought trekking poles and some quick crampons to help with traction. These snowfields get more slippery when the sun gets on them. Overall very doable right now and the snowfields don’t slow the whole trip down too much.

John St. Clair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
Hiking

Great views and mostly a gradual grade increase (6/28/20). Made it to 10,000 feet and had to turn around due to late start and a couple of tricky snow patches. Ready to come back when the snow is melted to go all the way to the summit! On the way down, we came across a huge bull moose just off the trail. At first, no more than 6-10 feet in front of us. We slowly backed away and watched him enjoy numerous Aspen tree branches for 15 minutes. A huge animal and so amazing to watch up close.

Brian Dunseth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

Incredible day. Started at 5.30am and back down at 1pm. Still some snow on the upper ridge before the final climb. Wore Hoka One One’s and used my poles in the snow. Slide down on my butt on the way back down .

Kamryn Rossberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingMuddySnow

This was my first time hiking timp and I wasnt sure I would make it to the top because of the snow but, we made it to the summit (6/26)! The snow is melting quick, but there was still some sketchy sections especially leading up the saddle. We went early enough in the morning that the snow was firm while crossing over but on our way down it was more slushy and seemed like people were having a harder time getting over. Definitely be cautious and use common sense, but it was in better conditions then I expected. By the end we logged about 15 miles. The hike was beautiful, the wildflowers are all starting to bloom, definitely on my list of favorite hikes!

Trent C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingMuddySnow

From the Pleasant Grove Ranger District: Mount Timpanogos Trails Update June 22, 2020: "The trail to Scout Falls (1.5 miles) is free of snow. Snow begins at the bottom of the Giant Staircase (abut 3.5 miles) and continues intermittently until reaching Timpanogos Basin (about 5 miles). Above this, much of the trail is still missing beneath the snow. The trail toward the Saddle is completely covered with possible snow cornices (very dangerous). Emerald Lake is still mostly covered with snow/ice. The trail from Emerald Lake to the Saddle is also completely covered by snow. Rivers are running fast beneath snowfields and often are hidden from view. Hikers are strongly advised to hike only to the snowline for safety. Travel beyond the snowline is very dangerous with the danger growing as strong snow-melt accelerates. Snow often lingers through early/mid July in the Upper Basins."

Brinton Frisby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingIcySnow

This is a lovely hike. My clocked logged it at 14.3 miles and I did it in under six hours. I used micro spikes and one trekking pole for just the last half mile before arriving at the saddle. This trail is in great condition.