Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Timpooneke trail to the summit of Mt. Timpanogos is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Utah. This is one of two routes commonly used to access the towering 11,749 foot summit. This challenging trail boasts of beautiful wildflowers, as well as opportunities to spot wildlife including mountain goats. The trail can be completed as a long, strenuous day trip, though some decide to breakup into a multi-day trip.

This is a really tough hike in the snow. We went on Sunday 10/28 and from about mile 3 onwards it was all in snow. We'd tried on Thursday and had only got as far as the meadow as the winds were so strong we couldn't even see our own tracks and couldn't find the trail. We managed to summit on Sunday but from the saddle to the hut and back again was very windy and very sketchy. If you've never done this before (which I hadn't), it's definitely not for the faint-hearted. Once over the saddle, the drops are very very steep and, I thought, very very scary. The views, however, are spectacular and the trail was pretty easy to follow. The whole thing took us 10 hours as it was slow going in the snow, so we came out in the dark. Be prepared and stay safe!

We hiked this over Labor day weekend. The views and wildlife we saw were totally worth the hard hike. It was amazing!

This was my first time on the trail. As of yesterday, it will take breaking trail for the final two miles to get to the summit. I wasn't willing to go further than the tracks went. There was a wind slab just before "the meadow" that I wasn't willing to cross, as well as some other evidence of snow instability along the way. I wanted to write this review to let people know that this trail is probably a ski/mountaineering adventure and not a hike at this point (probably from about mile 4) until next season. In addition, I was glad I had microspikes on my shoes after the first mile. It was intermittent ice/snow and mud for a couple miles and then straight snow after that.

love this hike ALOT.

First of all let me say WOW! We are from the Midwest and this was the third hike of our short stay. We wanted to go out with a Bang! And it felt like we did. We chose this hike based on reviews on this site so let me add my .02 (keep in mind we live at 800 ft.). We didn’t get to the lot as early as we had hoped but we started out just before 0900. Gradual climb and to be honest we got a little cocky, took our time and tons of photos. After we hit the first meadow and headed up it got a little steeper and the snow started at 8200 feet, the views were beautiful. We honestly didn’t know what we were in for as we knew (hoped) to crest but we saw the peak here and there through all the weather that came through. When we hit the last meadow before the push to the saddle we started running into what appeared to us were locals who actually knew what they were doing. We even believe that we met the famous “Ben”. We started running into a few people who decided not to go further or had been warned of the conditions at the saddle and had already turned around or stopped their ascent. If we actually met “Ben” he had also decided to not even head to the saddle. We had traveled too far to quit and the altitude clearly clouded our judgement (Ha) so we continued. We followed up who to us must have been an Olympian (she was nicknamed the Olympian) as well as two runners. The trip to the saddle was super sketchy as there was ice under the snow (3”) on the rocks but we had made it. We encountered both runners later who tried to reach the peak but neither did. At the saddle we talked to the “olympian” who was super nice and it sounded like she had made this hike before. Her group backed out due to weather so she came up on her own. After talking to her for a few minutes she also decided not to try and reach the summit. Visibility was about 30 feet and snow was getting deeper. I decided that I loved my wife so we opted out. “The Olympian “ was kind enough to take a few pictures of us and we followed her down. The hike was amazing and was plenty difficult. The people that we encountered were awesome. If you get a chance to try, make sure you do it. Make sure to bring plenty of water and fuel.

It was a crazy adventure up to Mtn. Timpanogos Summit! There was 40 mph wind, rain, snow, clouds, and sunshine all together. It was a fun Utah hiking experience that’s for sure! I definitely learned to come in July- Mid August while the wild flowers are blooming and the sunshine is shining! Don’t go in October. Haha! Also, you’ll see so many mountain goats! They do love to get their photos taken and chill on the trail, but don’t get too close.
It’s a challenging hike and some sections are steep, so plan for 6-8 hours of the day hiking (based off your pace or group size). I highly recommend going with at least one buddy. Bring enough food (like a snack & a lunch), at least 2 liters or more of water, a light-weight windbreaker, and a extra pair of socks or dry shirt to change into for hike back down (it’s definitely worth it).
Have a fun adventure and stay safe out there.

Amazing hike/trail Run! You will likely see wildlife, moose, deer, mountain goats, jackalobes... ok maybe not the last one.
Anyway, if its your first time hiking Timpanogos bring one more layer of clothes than you think will need. It's usually super Humid, windy and much colder at the top than you would guess.
Bring more FOOD than you might think you need and multiple bottles of WATER! Your hike will go so much better if you eat and drink enough. remember to snack/fuel frequently.

I also used strava on this trail and it told me Out and Back is actually 16 ish miles. Just an FYI.
This is a stunningly beautiful hike. You are going to love it.
Have fun!

Hiked on Sept 29, 2018; mostly sunny with daily high around 75 degrees, left from Timpooneke. This is the best weekend for changing leaves, which explains the large crowds. At 4:00 am about 70% of the parking lot was filled. (If you haven’t paid, use the envelopes to avoid a ticket, which we saw on many cars after we returned.) We started at 4:30 am, hiked in dark with headlamps until about 7:30. This means we hiked through the fall colors in total dark, completely missing them on the way up. This is a long hike, but also probably the easiest of the big peaks in the area. Trails are very nice and easy to follow, with relatively uniform ascent the entire way. There is nothing dangerous or technical, it’s just long. A cold, strong wind from the west was blowing on the west side of the mountain, which you hit at the saddle. Light windbreaker was much more valuable than heavier clothes that breathes because the wind goes right through that. Otherwise, the west side was very pleasant. Trail was very busy. We needed about 3 quarts of water. Total trip was a bit over 8 hours, which included a few, but not many, rest periods.

September 30, 2018. Driving to Mt Timp, it was sunny and warm for late September with temps close to 70 in Heber at 7:45. The summit of Timp looks extremely imposing from a distance but the hike is quite gentle for the first 6 miles. The fall foliage was peaking so the entire valley was red and yellow. As we got above the tree line, the wind really started to pick up and the temps started to drop. Once we got on the ridge, the wind was howling at about 30-40 mph but luckily you hike to the summit on the west side of the mountain so the wind was pushing you into the mountain. The final mile to the summit is steep but it doesn’t require any true bouldering. The summit has a cool metal open hut which provides a little reprieve from the wind. The summit offers amazing views of Provo/Utah Lake to the southwest and Heber to the Northeast. We saw some impressive mountain goats on the way down. It took us 4 hours up with about a 20min lunch break and 3 hours down. Round trip was 14.5 miles.

This was 100% hardest trail I’ve ever done. It took us 10.5 hours to hike all the way to the top summit. I am not the most physically fit person and my knee was killing me by the end but it’s worth it! Watch out for high winds at the Top ( an extra windbreaker or sweater) and take enough water! On our way down we did spot a black bear, moose, and deer ( dusk) - of your not fast make sure you pack a headlamp, it was very helpful ( specially if you start you up hike anytime after 9am

Challenging trail climb for any serious trail runner. Compared to other trails the only steep sections are on the Saddle. First 6.5 miles of climbing are gradual ascents with some descents and flat terrains in the meadow to regain your pace. However, the hidden rocks as tree stumps from start to finish and the completely all rock portions make this a difficult and treacherous attempt for any serious trails runners legs from avoiding any injuries. Unless- your well trained the return trip down the mountain will break your knees and sting your quads muscles. Nonetheless- a grand epic experience one must not leave out!

A very difficult hike, but so rewarding!

Hiked this on Sept 7th. Camped at Emerald Lake. Left trailhead at 4 pm. Reached lake by 7. Lots of vertical gain. A few streams near the start give you an opportunity to fill up on water. Highly recommend. From there, the next source is Emerald Lake. Was merely a pond on the 7th; it will dry up. Very few people this late in the day; beautiful. Camped. Next day - traversed to the saddle. Left pack at saddle. Took me two hours to summit from Emerald Lake. Gorgeous views of the Salt Lake Valley and the Wasatch Wilderness. Well worth the mental and physical challenge of the steep vertical, and relentless switchbacks.

Important to realize Emerald Lake is not a part of this trail. Must go well out of the way for water, and as I said, would be surprised if the lake makes it much longer. Bring more water than you need.

Favorite hike! I’ve done it 7 times and it’s a new experience every time.

Left at 3am from Timpanooki parking and made the summit at 8:30am. The sun came up right at the meadows at 7am. The wind at the Sandle wasn’t too bad with the sun up. Great and difficult hike.

Not for the feint of heart once you pass the meadow. The trail hugs the side of the mountain pretty closely in a few places, and there are some scree piles you cross. Once you reach the saddle, the rest of the trail to the top of Timp requires some basic scrambling, and you need hands and feet in a number of places. it's quite steep.

This hike is beautiful, rewarding, and challenging all at the same time. the view from the saddle is beautiful, but the view from Timp is awesome. There is very little water along the trail, and very little shade the last half of the trail up. Bring sunscreen and water (I brought a full gallon).

We also saw some pika, two female moose, and got some great selfies with a mountain goat.

please pick up your trash, too!!

Beautiful views all the way to the top! Definitely worth an early start. Not too difficult, just long, as others mentioned.

Beautiful hike! Went this morning with my friends and we loved it, although we all agreed it was pretty difficult. We started at midnight and got to the summit around 5 am. The trail was very popular this morning because everyone wanted to watch the sunrise from the summit. Also, it is freezing once you reach the saddle, so bring warm clothes!! Watching the sunrise was incredible and the hike back down in the day time was gorgeous. Definitely recommend if you’ve never hiked this trail before. Just be prepared... it’s tough.

Hiked 7/4/18. Beautiful, gradual hike that never gets too steep. There are a few different stages of the hike, each with pretty different surroundings, which keeps things interesting. Beware the “point of despair.” They’ll be a moment when you think you’ve made it, only to realize how much further you’ve got to go!

Found the altitude was only really a problem during the final mile, and the trade off for the gradual ascent is a prolong descent (knees = dead).

Hiked this with my husband yesterday. We started at 4:00 in the morning and hiked a couple of hours and then through the sunrise. This hike was so beautiful. It didn’t seem too hard for me but it was quite long. You pass through meadows and a few different landscapes before coming to a giant meadow where you can then see the saddle and the peak. The view from the summit was breathtaking. It was quite crowded yesterday, but we figured it would be with it being a Saturday and Labor Day weekend. We got one of the few parking spaces left. But we enjoyed meeting new like minded people. We did get stopped on the trail for over 30 min in the dark when a bull moose and 2 babies wouldn’t move. They just kept eating. It was a cool experience though. We also saw a few mountain goats and a whole family of deer in the meadow. Will definitely do this hike again and maybe even try a sunrise summit.

My favorite hike! So pretty up there! Definitely worth the view going all the way to the shack at the top

This trail is really long not sure about 7 miles is accurate but the views and wild life is awesome. we started around 6:30 on Wednesday parking lot was having around 10 cars. we saw moose , mountain goats and deer. it surprise you with multiple meadow and multiple layers of vegetation. the final 1 mile is little strenuous and need careful stepping and resting. The trail is long and beautiful. best to carry lot of water food, jacket , gloves and hiking poles.

Did this hike on a Friday morning in late August. Arrived at parking lot at 7:30am and still plenty of parking. Trail was not very busy. There were a few trail runners, but mostly hikers. Don't be intimidated if you are a casual hiker. It is doable - just take your time, eat snacks, and pack plenty of water in a camelbak. There is plenty to see and hear. A bull moose hangs out in the meadow at the 2 mile mark. I've been told you can make it to the summit in 4 hours, but I stopped for photos and time to breath and talk and took 6.5 hours to the saddle. I was too tired and afraid of heights to do the summit, but I'm going to try it next time. It took 4 hours to come down going at a steady pace. Recommend trekking poles for descent.

Bloody fantastic hike. Beautiful from every view.

Started Friday after work, hiked to meadow with full backpacking gear. Setup camp, got water at lake, and slept the night. Headed towards the peak at 7am, after summit came back for gear, and hiked out. This pattern is way better than the all night hikes. People on the trail tend to not have good trail etiquette, play radios, don't stop if you are hiking up, often cram you on the trail. Even had some kids shortcut the trail, sending rocks down on us, during the steep portion before the summit. My point being, be careful, help educate the new folks, and be cautious of others. Beautiful day, no mud, and only light rain both days.

We started out early 5:15 am on a Saturday but had to park along the road. The parking lot was full. Weather was comfortable with a jacket at the top but wind is chilly. Amazing views and trail is gradual until the last mile. Be ready for some rock scrambling. We saw two hikers turn around because they were too scared. My group got to the top.

I did this trail yesterday (a Thursday), and at 6:30 there were no problems with parking. The lot was less than a third full, maybe less than a quarter full. The best part of the hike is through the forests/meadows before reaching the Upper Basin. I saw four moose and an elk in the first meadow within minutes of starting the hike. I also saw four mountain goats. The first was at the upper end of the Lower Basin (close view), and the other three were on the mountain side to the right of Timp (one close). What none of the reviews I read here or elsewhere mention is what the trail is like for those who don't like heights. The last 100 yards or so before reaching the saddle is narrow, has a large drop-off, and parts with loose dirt that are angled down toward he drop off. For that section, I was hanging onto the wall with my right hand, testing the dirt and rocks with the hiking pole in my left hand, and stepping about 6 inches at a time. In parts it was no more than about 18 -20 inches wide. The saddle was as far as I went, as going to the summit looked about the same (without a wall on one side). I don't care if your 3 year old carrying a Barbie did it. For those who don't like heights, just be aware that you will probably only want to go **part way** up to the saddle, where you might see mountain goats up close (as I did). The views from the saddle weren't that spectacular. The rest of the hike up to the Upper Basin, and through it is GREAT. The trail to that point (and even to the saddle) is physically less strenuous than many other hikes I have done. Lots of level parts, and it is never very steep.

Love this one! Not too hard, and great views!!

Did this hike couple weeks ago. Great hike, long but very rewarding (coming back down we asked ourselves a couple times if this is really how far we had to travel up) there's a point past the saddle where you have to cut left with bigger steps up the rock, the trail seems to go straight. me and my girlfriend plus 4 other people we ran into ended up going straight. we ended up on some questionable terrain which was pretty steep with loose rock. on the way back down we stacked some rocks across the area that seems like the trail hopefully that helps some others out. the view from the top is amazing we will definitely be back!

Awesome hike! Be wary of the final mile!