Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Absolutely beautiful! Saw a whole herd of mountain goats! We were surrounded by them! We started the hike at 6am. The trail wasn't that busy until we passed emerald lake. It's a must do in Utah!

loved every minute of it!

This is my favorite hike, It's so beautiful! if you've never hiked it before and like a good all day hike you have to do it! I like to start at sunrise because the afternoons get hot since you're in the sun for most of it. There was still a little snow in a couple places but nothing you can't pass through. The meadow is in full bloom and absolutely break taking right now. I feel the best time to hike it is late July - early September. It's definitely a must!

No hike like it! Every Utahn that is able should do this hike at least once. This was my first time doing the Timpooneke side and I found it highly preferable to the Aspen Grove side. We started a little after 4 am and it was hard to find parking. All of the parking spots were taken by the sunrise hike crowd, so we had to find a spot on the side of the road outside of the campground. Once we got started it was an awesome time.

Toward the beginning of the trail you have to cross some streams (which was really fun) so waterproof shoes won't hurt. The hike was beautiful the whole way but once you get to the upper basin where the two trails meet the wildflowers were just absolutely amazing. Even though the trail was very busy this time of year, it was totally worth it to see the wildflowers in their peak. Everything was so lush and green. We only had to cross two very small snow patches, and neither of them were terribly long or worrisome. There was still a lot of snow in the basin on the Aspen grove trail, and I was grateful that I did not have to cross the boulder field in the snow.

We summited in about 5 hours and completed the entire hike in about 10. We really took our time on the way down because we hiked with someone with knee problems, but we probably could have finished in 9 hours had we hustled. It's very cold on the summit so even though we packed layers to wear, I wish I had gloves for the stretch between the saddle and the summit. We saw about 10 mountain goats coming down the mountain for the morning just above the saddle as we were headed back. It looked like the goats were watching us, one even peaked over a cliff edge to watch us walk down and it was adorable.

This year we used trekking poles (I don't usually hike with poles) and they made all of the difference, especially on the stretch between the saddle and the summit, they added a lot of stability. The way back was in the sun and had very little shade until the last couple of miles. We tried to start early to avoid hiking in the heat of the day, but in the future I'd want to start even earlier like 2 am. That being said, we brought plenty of water. I'd recommend bringing about 3 liters for this hike.

This is one of my all-time favorite trails. Very well graded so that doing 14 miles did not seem that difficult. Incredible views and the hills were thick with wildflowers. Even though there are more waterfalls on the other trail I like this one better. Had no trouble getting parking at 9:30 AM on a Thursday but on Friday the lot was filled at 7 AM.campground next to trailhead is very nice as well. Recommend reservations.

Beautiful Hike! Well worth it!

Amazing view up top. A little bit of snow left in small sections, but you don't need any gear for the snow.

Backpacked to Emerald Lake & camped there for the night then summated Mt Timpanogos in the morning. Great hike with beautiful views! Saw lots of mountain goats and a gorgeous sunrise. Definitely for more experienced hikers. Tons of mosquitos so take bug spray!

Hiked to the lake on the first day. Made dinner, camped, got chased out by some mountain goats. Summitted on day 2, slid down the glacier rather than hike down. Really fun but also pretty difficult

After doing some research I informed my wife that this is one of the busiest, most hiked trails in the state. She asked why; to which I replied, I have no idea. Now I know. It is amazing, challenging, close, beautiful, and full of all sorts of wildlife, flowers, and neat people. It is like one big sweaty party.

I packed up to the final basin Friday evening where I set up camp in a hammock. The hike up was amazing. However the wind in the basin raged all night and I did not sleep a wink. I suspect that is common for that basin. I was surprised at how many hikers passed my camp all night long to be at the summit by sunrise. If I had to guess I would say 200 hikers passed in the dark. I saw pika in the rock slides, deer, and mountain goats very near the trail, hummingbirds, waterfalls, and fields of amazing flowers. I recommend it to anyone looking for a great hike.