Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Challenging but well worth it!

Beware, there was a lone aggressive mountain goat tonight about half way down the trail, that followed us about 3 miles down, making aggressive gestures. I highly suggest you Google what to do if confronted by a mountain goat before heading up.
other than that, it was fantastic! We saw a bunch of other mountain goats by the summit and toward the top of the trail that were in groups & paid little attention to us. Incredible views & not terribly steep but you notice the lower oxygen high up, more frequent small breaks did the trick though.

we made the summit last night at about 9pm for the sunset...not a lot of people on the trail...other than crossing over a couple small snow fields that were already tracked out, the trail is clear to the top, no problems..i had trekking poles, buddy did not, and we did just fine...lots of mountain goats along the way and at the top..great hike

This is a really cool trail and the view from the top was amazing.

Beautiful hike — we saw a mountain goat and a moose!! Gorgeous wildflowers!!

Great hike today, a little snow still left on the trail but no gear was needed didn’t even put on my micro spikes. The spot where the snow was still on the trail, we took advantage and slide down for a quick and fun decent. The trail is a long one, bring lots of water. I would recommend a light jacket for the summit it can be cold and windy.

First timer, and it was everything I had hoped it would be. Ended up getting lost at the 3.6 mile ice field. We hiked in the dark and missed the WATERFALL that the trail goes right past. For other first timers, don’t follow the boot prints and slide marks up the mountain. The first ice field is only 100 feet wide. When you get to it, go straight across it and look for a waterfall. If you go up the ice field more than 100 feet, you will be too high. The upper basin still has plenty of snow, but if you have yaktraks and/or hiking poles you will be okay. I will be doing this again in July when the snow melts. For an added bonus, we ran into Ben Woolsey. Today was his 955 time up Timp. He is looking for #1000 sometime in September.

Always a lovely jaunt, especially thanks to the wildflowers. Still a bit dicey up high thanks to slick snow. I rather liked having my mountain gear (helmet, yak-trax, ax), but it seems like most people are content to roll the dice with running shoes and little else.

Beautiful! You hit snow (June 6th) at about 3 miles, but it wasn’t too hard to get over and it was only about every half mile or so. Probably will be gone in a few weeks.

Started at 4:30am and encountered lots of sketchy icy parts with big snow fields still. First encounter of snow was at 3.5 miles up. Two other groups ahead of us, but they turned around without summiting. We dug out foot holes all the way up to the saddle. No hiking poles and no spikes either. Just some Hoka Speedgoats on. Once to the saddle and can overlook the valley, you have it made. We made it to the top then slid down all the snow. Cut so much time off the decent. With higher temperatures later in the day, the snow fields were softer and melting and no ice. Saw a coyote, marmots, and lots of birds.

Went up today - lots of snow still. Made it to the meadow below Emerald Lake with my trekking poles and yak trax. A few with more serious gear were going up to at least the saddle, but be prepared for lots of deep snow, some goats down low, and some really slick spots on the way up.

Awesome view, definitely worth the hike!

Hi Alyssa. Did you hike Timpooneke to the glacier this year (2018)? I'm looking for a snow report on the Aspen Grove side (your descent).

wide range of things to see. so much fun and by far one of my favorite hikes I've done. I did the glacier and back down the other side so it was a bit longer but absolutely incredible.

Catching up on some reviews, so note that I did this in early September. I know many people start around 2am to get to the summit at sunrise, but I just wasn't done for that this go around. Started the trail around 7am and got back to the car around 2pm. Lots of people going both directions. The log at the top was already filled with 200 names, just from that day!! Saw a mother moose and her two babies, as well as a mountain goat. Beautifil wildflowers filled the fields. Great time with some good friends--would definitely recommend doing this one.

I loved this trail up to the saddle. I must have done it on the busiest weekend of the year so it was a little treacherous actually summiting due to mostly a lot of boys jostling, and the summit itself was very chaotic with lots of people on it. But the part up to that was pretty mellow and had such spectacular views of the wasatch and was lush with flowers. When I do this again, I’ll just go up the the big meadow on the timpooneke side or the emerald lake, once on the summit was enough for me.

I hike this every summer. Top 10 most scenic trails in Utah.

Did this Trail in October. The views are incredible. Each section offers more and more just insanely gorgeous scenery. This hike is steep and long. Be prepared.

Great hike! Beautiful weather. Did hike 25 October. Some small icy spots lower down but not problematic. 2nd time up, much better experience than the first! Will do again.

Lovely sunny day. Minimally icy. Summited in 3:35 without pushing too hard.
Route finding up on to the saddle a mile before summit a bit tricky.

it was actually pretty darn easy. I summited in under 4 hours while going at a slow pace. The neighbor to the north Box Elder peak is by far a harder hike.

Difficult yet rewarding hike. Best to do this hike in September or October when the temperatures decline. Bring plenty water and your camera!

Beautiful hike! My husband and I did this hike on October 9th and the fall colors were amazing! We didn't summit because of time constraints, but we made it 5 mi in and 3100 ft up in about 2.5 hours. There was snow and ice on parts of the trail, which was a little nerve wracking because we didn't have crampons and if we had slipped, we could have fallen down a steep slope. We heard from other hikers that the trail is very icy where it splits to the summit. I would definitely recommend crampons. We met Ben on the trail. Super cool guy and he helped us through some of the icy bits.

Started at 6:00, summitted by 11:00, back down at 3:00. Easy hike to the saddle. From there it gets cold and windy, also more rocky. Very easy to lose the trail, pay close attention to switchbacks. A few scary spots but nothing serious. Bring warm clothes for the top. Super cold. Views are amazing and whole hike is worth it. Met Ben & hiked with him for a mile or two. Awesome guy.

Love this hike...it's hard but so rewarding

Even in a snow storm: awesome hike!

Even in a snow storm: awesome hike!

Hiked to the top for sunrise, breathtaking view. Difficult but worth it!!!

Incredible hike.. 24km round trip... gorgeous all day

Hiked up to to the lake/pond right below the summit. Beautiful views of Pesci canyon below. 3/4 waterfalls on your way up to the top. You'll see mountain goats at the top. I hiked up with a 3 year old in my back back. It was an exhausting day when I finish. Body was absolutely shot.