Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wide range of things to see. so much fun and by far one of my favorite hikes I've done. I did the glacier and back down the other side so it was a bit longer but absolutely incredible.

Catching up on some reviews, so note that I did this in early September. I know many people start around 2am to get to the summit at sunrise, but I just wasn't done for that this go around. Started the trail around 7am and got back to the car around 2pm. Lots of people going both directions. The log at the top was already filled with 200 names, just from that day!! Saw a mother moose and her two babies, as well as a mountain goat. Beautifil wildflowers filled the fields. Great time with some good friends--would definitely recommend doing this one.

I loved this trail up to the saddle. I must have done it on the busiest weekend of the year so it was a little treacherous actually summiting due to mostly a lot of boys jostling, and the summit itself was very chaotic with lots of people on it. But the part up to that was pretty mellow and had such spectacular views of the wasatch and was lush with flowers. When I do this again, I’ll just go up the the big meadow on the timpooneke side or the emerald lake, once on the summit was enough for me.

I hike this every summer. Top 10 most scenic trails in Utah.

Did this Trail in October. The views are incredible. Each section offers more and more just insanely gorgeous scenery. This hike is steep and long. Be prepared.

Great hike! Beautiful weather. Did hike 25 October. Some small icy spots lower down but not problematic. 2nd time up, much better experience than the first! Will do again.

Lovely sunny day. Minimally icy. Summited in 3:35 without pushing too hard.
Route finding up on to the saddle a mile before summit a bit tricky.

it was actually pretty darn easy. I summited in under 4 hours while going at a slow pace. The neighbor to the north Box Elder peak is by far a harder hike.

Difficult yet rewarding hike. Best to do this hike in September or October when the temperatures decline. Bring plenty water and your camera!

Beautiful hike! My husband and I did this hike on October 9th and the fall colors were amazing! We didn't summit because of time constraints, but we made it 5 mi in and 3100 ft up in about 2.5 hours. There was snow and ice on parts of the trail, which was a little nerve wracking because we didn't have crampons and if we had slipped, we could have fallen down a steep slope. We heard from other hikers that the trail is very icy where it splits to the summit. I would definitely recommend crampons. We met Ben on the trail. Super cool guy and he helped us through some of the icy bits.

Started at 6:00, summitted by 11:00, back down at 3:00. Easy hike to the saddle. From there it gets cold and windy, also more rocky. Very easy to lose the trail, pay close attention to switchbacks. A few scary spots but nothing serious. Bring warm clothes for the top. Super cold. Views are amazing and whole hike is worth it. Met Ben & hiked with him for a mile or two. Awesome guy.

Love this hike...it's hard but so rewarding

Even in a snow storm: awesome hike!

Even in a snow storm: awesome hike!

Hiked to the top for sunrise, breathtaking view. Difficult but worth it!!!

Incredible hike.. 24km round trip... gorgeous all day

Hiked up to to the lake/pond right below the summit. Beautiful views of Pesci canyon below. 3/4 waterfalls on your way up to the top. You'll see mountain goats at the top. I hiked up with a 3 year old in my back back. It was an exhausting day when I finish. Body was absolutely shot.

awesome hike

Long trail but manageable because of the switch backs. The incline is more gradual the trail going up the mountain. Beautiful wild flowers cover most of the trail. Fortunate enough to see some deer and several mountain goats at the summit. Summit might be confusing. I originally got off the trail and came back down. I then ran into Ben Woolsey (awesome dude) who allowed me to follow him up the mountain. Views from the saddle are amazing but don't stop there. Make sure you go to the summit. It's totally worth it even if you're a little scared like I was. Find someone to follow up. Take plenty of water (at least 3 liters) and food. Go on a weekday when it's not super crowded. I hiked alone and there were plenty of people on the trail.

difficult, but so worth it. i love starting at night and being up top for sunrise.

Made summit after 3 attempts on Saturday. 5.5 hours up. 4.5 hours back. Parking lot full at 10a. Pretty cold from saddle to summit. Gloves would have helped. But fantastic hike!

The first 3 miles were simple, Low-grade nothing too crazy, make sure you have waterproof shoes because you cross a few creeks, there really was no steep grades it was pretty much a gradual incline for the whole hike, I only made it to the saddle because my shoes were slick and I didn't trust them to go any further, and I was already wore out and my muscles are still aching 4 hours later. Make sure you have good shoes and if you plan on making the summit bring some type of a pole, there were a few places on the trail where the mud was slick. I started at 7:20 I summitted around 1140 and I was back in my car by 3. I'm 35 and I don't work out at all.

Started this hike at 1:30 and made it to the summit by sunrise! Me and my boyfriend are in our 20's and exercise regularly, we didn't stop frequently on the way up. It is cold further up! One regret I have is not bringing gloves. We wore ski socks, thermals and hats and felt good. It's cold at the summit so bring a jacket! I had read before not to cross any logs or rock walls in the trail! This is important and saved us several times from getting lost in the dark. If the trail feels wrong, odds are it is! Worth it to summit if you can handle the narrow ridges in the dark. Loved this hike!

The views at the top were terrific!! Being as an 18 year old, and havnt exercised in a couple months, i was almost exhausted by the time i got to the top. I wasn't very sure about hiking across all the boulders to get to the saddle, but i made it work!
A mountain goat came and said hey, and was like 2 feet from me!!
Overall great hike, and bring plenty of water (I brought 2L, and ran about 45 minutes i reach the bottom coming down) because on your way down, you'll be wanting lots of it!

Highly Suggest training before by hiking steeper smaller mountains, or getting your leg stamina up. because it'll make your legs feel like the nasty jellow your grandma makes!

This hike was actually 17.3 miles RT. Good variety (waterfall, lake, summit). Be careful on the final ascent - steep cliffs and loose rocks. Saw several mountain goat. Unbelievable views.

Just did this one for the first time since I was a kid today. Pretty hard but super fun. We started at 1am and got to the saddle by sunrise, which was super cool to watch from the top.

dope af

It is very challenging if your not in reasonable shape. It is worth the hike and challenge though. Plan on climbing stairs like hiking for miles.

Keep your eyes out for the goats. They are all over, way up close to the tops of the peaks.

Hiked this for the second time on August 27th. Weather was perfect! Started at 4 am with a headlamp. Lots of water to cross in the first mile. I used a trekking pole for balance. The summit was gorgeous with blue skies and very little wind. Saw mountain goats in the high meadow.
It's a long hard hike and by the time I got back to the parking lot my feet were very sore. Used my entire 2.5 liters of water. Be prepared for quick change in weather. As we reached the last half mile it started thundering.

Great hike! Gradual incline most of the climb up until right before you summit, then it becomes a little steeper for the last 1/2 mile. 3-4 liters of water, a snack, and a jacket for up top are all you'll need. Pack out your trash!! I picked up so much garbage on the way down. Other than the litter on the trail, this is a beautiful hike.