Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It was a very beautiful time of year to go on this hike! Went with a large group!! The rocky paths are difficult on the feet and knees at times. Our goal was to go to the saddle but because of our group size we stopped at one of the larger patches of glacier/snow. It seemed adventurous but a little on the sketchy side.

Hiked this 2 nights ago. Absolutely beautiful. We started at midnight and it was my first time hiking, so we lost the trail a few times in the dark. There were about 8 snow- fields that we had to cross, but they weren't too bad. I used 2 small sticks to stab into the snow and it helped. During the day, it was very easy to navigate the snow fields. You can slide down one of the glaciers and it was really fun, but I would take one that isn't too bumpy and look out for rocks/sticks poking out of the snow! Be safe, take it slow and you will have a blast!

Hiked part way up, still some snow on the trail (starting about 3.5 miles up). Lots of water this year, so the waterfalls are the best I've seen. Some flowers are out now, but will be better later in the year.

Very Very Beautiful Trail! Forget Me Nots and wild flowers blooming like it is Spring.

Bit of advice. Hike it during the day first time.
As great as it is to hike in the moon light, the trail turns to rivers, and obvious areas are extremely hard to find with all the snow // Melting snow.

Most recently I wore shorts and got 70 new bug bites.. Lost the trail for the last 60% and ended up on a cliff.
As awful as most of it was, the views are incredible. I always want to do it again a few days later. It is addicting.

Overall, the trail is completely different than it is in the fall. Try doing it during the day, so you know the general idea of the trail.

Bug Spray!!

If you are planning on doing this hike, stop planning and get out there! You won't regret it.

Happy Hiking!!

Beautiful hike with meadows, snow, great views and waterfalls. Take plenty of sunscreen, as there plenty of stretches without shade.

Still lots of snow. Not too hard if you have hiking poles. The mountain goats were hiding until around 6pm. Great hike but hard.

Stellar hike. One of the best in Utah for sure!

Hiked 6-27-17. Snow starts at mile 3 and doesn't stop until you get to the saddle. Ice axe and light crampons/ spikes are highly recommended. Also use lots of sunscreen (we hadn't fully intended to summit but ended up being out 9 hours and I'm paying for it today) You will definitely want to have a GPS with the trail loaded onto it. We found it was generally easier to try and stay over top of the trail (because it is covered in snow, you get it). This lets you clear some of the cliff bands other terrain obstacles more easily. The push up the saddle is doable but rough. I would recommend after clearing the first cliff band by staying with the trail that you stay low instead of trying to diagonal your way up to the saddle. Find a straight up hill shot at the saddle and work your way that way. It was a long hard day but doable if you are committed, take you time to pick your route and consult your GPS often to stay on track. Its going to be late July to mid August until you can do this without wanting ice gear. I'll try and load my track so you can see how we approached it. Hard but fulfilling day hike this time of year.

Lots of snow starting at mile 3. I had to turn around at mile 4 because of the amount of snow.

Amazing. The trail starts to get populated at Emerald Lake, as it's a great place to take a break, and continues up the mountain to the peak. If you're lucky you'll get to see mountain goats like I did!