Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail

Mt. Timpanogos - Timpooneke Trail is a 14.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

44 minutes ago

Started at the base of Timpooneke at 1:45 PM and finished at 10:38 PM. Stayed at the top of the summit for about 40 minutes and slid down the snow field. Very fun and exciting! Beautiful hike at the beginning of August with all of the wild flowers and mountain goats. Be sure to bring the following: Bug spray, flash lights/head lamps, snacks/meal, water, water filter, external charger for phone, and good quality hiking shoes (may get wet in about eight streams that cross the path). 8/12/2017

Gorgeous, but crowded.

Once i came up into the basin i was amazed to see how much further i had to go, lol. I am not ashamed to say that the last mile to the peak kicked my ass! By far the most rewarding hike i have done in a long time. Deer, goats, landscape, were breathtaking and the people i came into contact were wonderful because we all shared some commonality of getting up to that damn peak. This is a must do thing, especially if you live in Utah! I took 3 Liters of water and had to use my filter on the way down to get more water, so I would recommend either a water filter or packing more water.

Beautiful scenery and wild flowers! Great hike

Awesome hike starting early to be up at top by sunrise. Beautiful way to start the day. 14.5 miles roundtrip.

thought we didn't reach the top because of health problems it was really fun and prity.

Absolutely beautiful! Saw a whole herd of mountain goats! We were surrounded by them! We started the hike at 6am. The trail wasn't that busy until we passed emerald lake. It's a must do in Utah!

loved every minute of it!

This is my favorite hike, It's so beautiful! if you've never hiked it before and like a good all day hike you have to do it! I like to start at sunrise because the afternoons get hot since you're in the sun for most of it. There was still a little snow in a couple places but nothing you can't pass through. The meadow is in full bloom and absolutely break taking right now. I feel the best time to hike it is late July - early September. It's definitely a must!

No hike like it! Every Utahn that is able should do this hike at least once. This was my first time doing the Timpooneke side and I found it highly preferable to the Aspen Grove side. We started a little after 4 am and it was hard to find parking. All of the parking spots were taken by the sunrise hike crowd, so we had to find a spot on the side of the road outside of the campground. Once we got started it was an awesome time.

Toward the beginning of the trail you have to cross some streams (which was really fun) so waterproof shoes won't hurt. The hike was beautiful the whole way but once you get to the upper basin where the two trails meet the wildflowers were just absolutely amazing. Even though the trail was very busy this time of year, it was totally worth it to see the wildflowers in their peak. Everything was so lush and green. We only had to cross two very small snow patches, and neither of them were terribly long or worrisome. There was still a lot of snow in the basin on the Aspen grove trail, and I was grateful that I did not have to cross the boulder field in the snow.

We summited in about 5 hours and completed the entire hike in about 10. We really took our time on the way down because we hiked with someone with knee problems, but we probably could have finished in 9 hours had we hustled. It's very cold on the summit so even though we packed layers to wear, I wish I had gloves for the stretch between the saddle and the summit. We saw about 10 mountain goats coming down the mountain for the morning just above the saddle as we were headed back. It looked like the goats were watching us, one even peaked over a cliff edge to watch us walk down and it was adorable.

This year we used trekking poles (I don't usually hike with poles) and they made all of the difference, especially on the stretch between the saddle and the summit, they added a lot of stability. The way back was in the sun and had very little shade until the last couple of miles. We tried to start early to avoid hiking in the heat of the day, but in the future I'd want to start even earlier like 2 am. That being said, we brought plenty of water. I'd recommend bringing about 3 liters for this hike.