For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mount Timpanogos via Timpooneke Trail is a 15 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 15.0 mi Elevation gain 4,425 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (6)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

There are two main trails to the top of Timpanogos, one of the most popular hiking destinations in Utah. This is the Timpooneke trail to the towering summit of Mt. Timpanogos. This challenging trail boasts of beautiful wildflowers, as well as opportunities to spot wildlife including mountain goats. The trail can be completed as a long, strenuous day trip, though some decide to breakup into a multi-day trip. Some of the switchbacks can be long and arduous. This route can be trail ran, but it requires excellent physical shape. You might see moose and goats along the way. A few good sources for trail conditions are the Pleasant Grove Ranger District, and TERT (Timpanogos Emergency Response Team) Facebook page. The parking lot gets really packed on the weekends, so get there early!

There is a parking area and a vault toilet at the trailhead.

There are no campfires allowed in Timpanogos Wilderness.

Go east on 92 into the canyon from I-15. Turn right (south) onto 056 and you're at the Mt. Timpanogos North Trailhead!

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1006)
Photos (1905)
Recordings (570)
Completed (2875)
Andrea Wride
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Great trail! Well maintained. We started at 1am and because I’m slow we made it to the saddle about 3 minutes before sunrise. The views from both sides of the saddle are breathtaking. It’s a long and steep hike up but almost worse on the way down on your toes and once you get below the 1st meadow it almost seems never ending to get back to the car. We started at 1 am and got off the mountain at about noon. So it was an all nighter but the wildflowers views and wild life totally made it worth it. Will make this an annual trip!

Adventure Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

This was an all around experience to be had! We started at midnight (the night sky was breathtaking and we saw a satellite launch!) because I’m a slow hiker. We made it to the saddle as the sunrise started. It took us another hour to get to the top. There were hundreds of people up on top for sunrise! The whole ridge was covered with people. We saw about 5 people almost slip off the sides trying to get round; people were trying to trail run on a cliff with all those people was not the smartest idea. If we were to do it again, we’d stop at the saddle if there are that many people! The view from there was just as amazing. Also, the push to the peak was the most technical and hardest. Anyone can make it to the saddle for the most amazing view to start the day! And the trail was as beautiful as everyone has described.

James Jacob
BackpackingGreat!Rocky

We started hiking on a Friday morning at about 9:30 and got lucky to find a parking space in the parking lot as someone was leaving. We backpacked and camped in the meadow about 4.5 miles up. We summited that evening during the sunset and were some of the only people up there. There were a few other small groups but that was all. We hiked back down to the saddle from the summit while the sun was setting so that we could have enough light and I’m glad we did. The hike down to the saddle from the summit is very rocky and a bit precarious so I’m glad we could see, especially as we had some children with us. Sleeping in the meadow was cold so come prepared. And there were several groups hiking during the night, some that went right by our tents at 3 am talking as loud as could be. So the sleeping wasn’t great but you can’t beat the scenery. I was glad we didn’t try to summit in the morning as there were TONS of people on the trail that morning for the sunrise. We passed lots of groups as we hiked down Saturday morning. The spring that is marked on this trail map was dried up but we found water shortly after that on the way up to the saddle. It might have been melted snow but we filtered it and it tasted great. Otherwise you’d have to hike clear over to Emerald Lake to get water which is a quite a bit out of the way. The weather was perfect. I brought a sweatshirt for the summit but didn’t need to put it on until the sun went down. Hiking up on Friday was warm but the breeze felt nice. I was glad to have a sweatshirt for our hike down on Saturday morning. Wear sunscreen and bring lots of water. We didn’t have any problem with mosquitos. This is one of the most beautiful hikes around. It’s long and rocky but the view at the top is amazing. I definitely recommend not going on a weekend to watch the sunrise. If you’re backpacking, go for the sunset instead! But try to avoid it on Saturdays if at all possible. If you do go and the parking lot is full, make sure you have all 4 wheels completely off the road or you’ll get ticketed $130!

Ryan B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Arrived at 445 am, ended up parking a mile away, so avoid weekend hiking at all costs. Don’t leave even a fraction of your vehicle hanging in the road or you’ll get a $130 ticket. Freezing cold up on the summit so come prepared with gloves, a hat and a wind breaker. Too many people on this trail. Lots of time wasted waiting to pass etc. A shame as it’s probably one of the most beautiful hikes in Utah.

View Ryan's Recording
Amy W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Amy's Recording
Zane Ventimiglia
Hiking

Timp was great, highly recommend getting started at 2am or possibly earlier if possible. The timing worked out just about perfect in terms of reaching summit by sunrise. Trail was packed today.

View Zane's Recording
Andrew Elmer
HikingFee

Such a favorite. Started at 5:30. not a mile in ran into a moose which was on edge and charged us. My brother and I hid in the bushes and it took its calf and left. We took about 6 hours with breaks. bring a light jacket for the exposed wind at the top, I was also glad to have my gloves. Not much water so I packed it all and had my dog carry hers. Super fun trail, and popular so fairly busy on the way down, but the way up that early wasnt too bad. Enjoy!

Chris J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingFeeRockyScramble

Awesome trail, my favorite hike in the A.F. canyon area. Lots of wild flowers at the upper meadow, a little windy and cold at the summit, bring a jacket. It’s not too difficult technically but is long for a day hike and the elevation especially from above the saddle to the summit made it challenging.

View Chris's Recording
Marcy White

Hiked to summit Thursday (8/6/2020) to avoid Saturday and holiday crowds and all of the negative aspects I read in reviews. It was perfect. Parking lot about half full at 4:45 a.m. I have never said, "WOW" so many times in my life. It was absolutely amazing. The last mile to the summit was a scramble (for me, at least) but so worth it to be, literally, on top of the world. As others have said, there is not a drop of water after the first couple miles, so pack plenty up. You'll also want to take sunscreen and reapply several times. Absolutely amazing hike!

Tagg Durrant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Date hiked: 7/28 Start time: 4pm Summit: 7pm 1 hour break at summit Back to car around 10:15 This hike was incredible. Beautiful the whole way up. Saw a moose. Saw a couple herds of mountain goats around the saddle. Wildflowers were gorgeous and in full bloom. I started at 4pm and it was nice temperature the whole time. The start was a little warm but not bad. Top was a little windy but nice. Ended up hiking in the dark the last hour or two on the way down. Had the summit to myself for an hour. I hiked at a fast pace with only one small break on the way up in order to eat a snack by some mountain goats. Highly recommend, even tho the way down can be rough on the legs.

Lili Beirouti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeRockyScramble

Amazing hike! This is a very very well trafficked one, but worth it. It's a pretty popular night/early morning hike, so even if you get an early start, it'll be busy. Also worth noting that there is limited parking, so getting there early will save you having to walk extra to the overflow parking (quite a ways down the road). The first section of the hike is a moderate climb, with partial shade and a few cascade crossings. The mid section meadows are beautiful, and the last part is a steep climb that ends with scrambling to the summit after the saddle. You'll want to have LOTS of water on this one. I'd recommend packing/stashing extra or bringing a filter. Also there is little to no shade, so extra sunscreen is a good idea. If you have bad knees or ankles, I'd recommend using trecking poles or support of some kind and sticking to the out-and-back trail as opposed to crossing the boulder fields to the lake.

Walter Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

This is an awesome hike! Our group (3 teenage boys) started hiking at 1am, and got to the top at 5:10. Not twenty minutes into the hike, we did see 2 moose not 20' off the trail and had to stop for them for a little. There was a little runoff, and nothing to fill a bottle with, so bring lots of water. Up closer to the summit there was a lot of sketchy moments, but nothing too bad. At about 6.0 miles(on the alltrails map) there was a part where you need to turn left and switchback like 6 times up this scary-looking cliff/rock cutout, but if you keep straight then it will get a lot scarier. Up at the top there is not a ton of comfortable rocks to watch the sunrise, so you might have to stand since there are like 60 other people watching it. Bring a jacket for the top, it drops really bad up there. We did see a lot of mountain goats, so be wary of those. Overall, the trail turned out for us to be like 14, so be ready.

Elisa Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

We did this hike yesterday morning. I wore two watches, a Garmin and Apple Watch and both recorded this hike as 15 miles. We had 4 adults and 2, 14 year old boys. Both thought it was hard but good and were a little sore that night and the following day. We started on the trailhead at 445am, summited at 910am, had a half hour lunch break there, and we’re back to our car by 110pm, so we were on the trail for 8 1/2 hours. Beautiful view at the top. loved the flowers and wildlife. Did not like that there were zero bathrooms along this trail. Not so much of an issue for the boys, but for the adult women it was. I heard there’s a bathroom at emerald lake but that adds an additional out and back and this trail is already 15 miles. So this is not one I’d do often. I packed 2 1/2 liters water but only drank one (didn’t want to have to go pee more than once). The boys drank 2- 2 1/2 liters. We used headlamps for the first 30-60 minutes which was helpful. Lots and lots of rocks on this trail so wear good, hard hiking shoes; they tired my ankles after awhile.

Yoshiko Kandori

Loved it!

View Yoshiko's Recording
Jaxon Fullmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
BackpackingRocky

Backpacked up into the first meadow then finished the second day. Most water dried out around beginning of August, little stream you can fill up around 5.5 just above the 2nd meadow. Fun hike tho.

Shantaye Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingRocky

I backpacked this trail in 2017 & 2018 but just did the night hike/sunrise thing on Saturday 8/1/20. We started around 2:15 am & made it to the summit in 3 hours & 43 minutes, enough time to find a spot & watch the spectacular sunrise. Be prepared & bring plenty of water and snacks. This is not an easy trail, gets decently steep & it is long. It was a great experience but I wouldn’t do it again because it was insanely crowded & people were blasting their music. People had horrible trail etiquette & there was a stupid amount of trash (Leave NO trace!) on the trail & in the thickets of trees where everyone seems to pee (pack it in, pack it out people). Took us 3+ hours to get down, there were soo many people on the trail, had to stop & step aside a lot. Be aware of where you park! We had parked on a very small dirt turnout & our tire was barely on the road & we got ticketed, as did everyone else with a tiny bit of their tire on the road. Overall a great experience but I’ll stick with the less traveled trails.

Tammy Anderson
Hiking

First time summiting! The weather was perfect and we saw two mountain goats and a moose up close. The wildflowers are incredible! So beautiful!

View Tammy's Recording
willow bay
BackpackingBugsNo shadeRocky

this is probably my favorite hike i’ve ever done! we went up around 5pm the night before, backpacked about 2.5 maybe 3 miles in and found a gorgeous meadow to camp at. we got up about 7am the next morning jet boiled some oatmeal, packed a day pack, and started our journey to the top! hiking the peak was the hardest part and let me tell you that peak is no joke! it requires a lot of energy but i promise you it is SO worth it in the end!! we didn’t pack much water bc we saw reviews said there was a lot of streams. wrong! PACK LOTS OF WATER!!! almost all the streams/waterfalls/rivers were dried out. there is emerald lake, but adds about a half a mile to the hike. luckily, we found a tiny little stream right before you reach the saddle and used our handy water filter to fill up. eat a good breakfast and pack filling snacks and tonss of water! this hike is a beast but it’s so amazing and worth it. the hike down is steep so i’d suggest bringing poles, we didn’t, but it would’ve been a bit easier with them. my favorite adventure i’ve been on for sure! so unbelievably pretty.