Mount Van Cott Trail

Mount Van Cott Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Really hot - great views of the valley. Didn't take very long. Trail is pretty good and there aren't any really really steep parts, but there's a good steady incline all the way to the top. Great quick afternoon/morning hike.

I actually accessed the Mount Van Cott trail from one of the several Red Butte trails- there is a trail that goes up the south/SW side of the big hill just north of the Red Butte Gardens. This hill was the steepest part of the hike and I had to be careful in my descent- the trail was a bit "gravelly" at this point and I used some vegetation for my foot stops. All in all a nice quick trail for a good morning workout or a good way to de-stress after school/work. Great views of the U and the rest of SLC on the way up. Once on the summit, the view to the south is especially beautiful with Lone Peak off in the distance.
I finished the trail round trip in about an hour.

This was steep, but really nice. I was the only one up there, which I loved. Just note that there is no parking at the trailhead (unless you are sneaky) and also that if it rains before you go it will be muddy. The rain water just runs right down the trail, so I had to walk next to the trail the higher up I got. Bring water if it's a hot day because there is NO shade. Today was cold, so I brought a coat. Love being up high enough to see the whole valley and beyond.

No parking at the trailhead. It's very steep but worth it for the view.

This is a great trail to begin with and train for harder and more difficult trails. It is a fun trail and has many points to stop and view The Valley of Salt Lake. It has gradual inclines and parts where the trail flattens out for a nice break, and fun to race down the mountain when finished! Highly recommend it!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016