Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove is a 13.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

Great trail and unique way to view both Utah valley and Heber valley (incredible views!). I’ve always enjoyed breaking up the hike into two parts: hiking up and setting up camp, then summiting early in the morning.

Trail is well marked from base to summit. After reaching the saddle, there is some exposure to both sides of the mountain so be careful with young hikers and keep them near (not as intense as angels landing, but you can get an idea).

Be prepared to see several people as the trail is very popular! Full moon and no moon nights are the most popular amongst other hikers.

pretty difficult hike but well worth the views.

I love this hike. Watch for stinging nettle.

Amazing hike. Starts a little slowly, but you'll be grateful for it on the way back! The first waterfall is maybe a mile in, and is the perfect way to refresh after the first incline. Watch out for stinging nettles though! Great trail for in-shape dogs. I loved letting my tiny herd of canines play in the crystal clear mountain water. Best hike I've done this year!

Very strenuous. We hiked this on a Saturday, busiest day. We arrived at the trailhead parking lot at 5 am and the lot was half full. I started off in pants but changed into shorts about 1 mile up the trail. I suggest shorts on a warm day but bring a hoodie for the summit, it gets windy and chilly. We summited at 11:30 am. We all had 3 liter water bladders in our packs but that wasn't enough for a hot day. We all ran dry on the way down with 6 miles left to go. My GPS said 15.4 miles total. There was a little patch of snow, about 100 yds, on the talus pile between Emerald Lake and the saddle. The last mile from the saddle to the summit is the most strenuous. It is very steep and involves climbing stepped rocks on the steep western face of the slope. We arrived back to the trailhead at 4:30 pm (11.5 hrs total). We saw a moose with 2 calves and 4 mtn goats. The waterfalls helped us keep cool on the way back down.

I started at 6am and finished at 5pm. I made it as far as the ridge or saddle right before the last trek to the peak. I stopped frequently to take photos and enjoy the amazing views. The first 5 miles through lush summer greenery and wildflowers is beautiful. I call it the hanging gardens of Utah. Past Emerald Lake is a technical challenge. Crossing boulder fields and snow fields until a vertical climb up to the ridge is difficult but worth the view. It’s windy and cold up there on the last day of June so bring a jacket. My phone said 7.7 miles to the ridge, and others who made it to the top said it was 9 miles.

beautiful hike never been there first time really nice people up there we started at 3 in the morning make sure you bring something warm it's pretty cold up there still

Magnificent views through partially frozen Emerald lake... the Boulder/Scree field was pretty much a soft snow traverse. We used Crampons and trecking poles intermently until the chimney and some endurance to the summit.
11 hours out and back including much needed rest and spectacular photos.
Switzerland of Utah. Do this with some hiking and fitness preparation!!!

Really spectacular for the sunrise. Definitely a must do hike

This is not just a hard hike, it's a VERY hard hike. My Fitbit read over 16 miles, 444 minute without and over 500 floors to the summit... holy smokes! I'm tired. I had some nausea and light headedness. Bring as much water possible (10 - 11 cups) and drink often by sipping. Plan on hiking all day with frequent stops (9 plus hours). There are still snowy patches near the saddle, but our group didn't need any equipment and we had a 10 year old - 50 year old with us. Keep your eye out for mountain goats they are up there!

Definitely worth the hike, amazing views. Pretty straight forward. Some exposed areas partway up but nothing too bad. Definitely need some form of poles/crampons/ice axe to get to the peak. Made it to Emerald Lake but couldn’t safely go further without snow gear.

So hard and so worth it!! In the summer start early (before 7am) if you can. You’ll be out in the sun about the entire time. Start early, bring tons of water, and wear sunscreen! You’ll love it

It’s a difficult hike but has amazing views the whole time! Depending on the time of year, snow may be covering parts of the trail and be dangerous to cross. Many waterfalls to enjoy along the way. I highly recommend

Possible with crampons and ice axe.

May 7th, 2018

Overall was a very amazing hike. We were only able to get 3.25 miles from trailhead as we ended up running into the snow fields. Took us 1 hour and 40 minutes to hit this point. Gained 1761 in elevation and maxed out at 8685 ft. Snow is very slick and without appropriate gear it ended our run to the summit. It will likely be some time before it is passable without any micro spikes or other appropriate gear. There is a 50 ft waterfall that was quite beautiful to see as the snow continues to melt. The only advice I will throw out there, not being from the area is that it costs $6 dollars to park and hike for a three day pass. Make sure you bring cash. Not sure if this is active so be sure to inquire. Would recommend this hike.

exhausting, but amazing view.

October 28th 2017..
Amazing is the best thing I can say. Every turn was a photo moment and the challenges were significant enough to make them exciting but still entirely doable!
I met some wonderful people along the way including eight year old Kylie who was near the top when I met her and her mother Julie. .. see what I mean very doable ...if I lived here I would probably do this hike at least once or twice a month..
I decided to take the Aspen Trail because I heard there were waterfalls and I am a big fan of waterfalls. Even though they were not running like they would be in the spring or early summer they were still quite beautiful. Even the frozen ice Falls we're enough to have made me want to take the trail. Ran into a family of moose along the way... a bull mom and two calves. They actually impeded my progress twice while hiking up and again while coming down. They like the lower Trail around the aspen trees so if you hike that area just be aware. I did not get confrontational with them and they do seem to be somewhat used to humans but they are still wild animals and you never want to take that chance. Also heard from one of the hikers with her daughter on her 21st birthday that the billy goats up near Emerald Lake we're somewhat aggressive. I imagine being the fall of the Year might have something to do with it especially for the Billy.
Once I was up past the shack and headed towards the peak I had to cross the ice field. I had a couple of options. There is a narrow precarious ice Trail right up against the edge of the cliff which I do not recommend you taking without crampons or katula's. Something to keep footing in the ice. I think what is more dangerous is the fact that ice is on top of the loose Rock and boulders that have fallen from above. If the rocks give away under the ice you are not going to have any options. My solution was simple go up over the boulders furthur back away from the edge. ( to Dave from Visalia thank you for the tip ) It's somewhat of a scramble but I didn't need the crampons. Then come back down on the other side (Northwestern side) far back from the edge of the cliffs walk through the snow to find the trail once it has moved away from the edge. one set of hikers I talk to on the way up said they didn't go past the ice field simply because it looked too dangerous along the edge and they weren't prepared. That was a good call on their part. you should always research the trails thoroughly that you plan to do and make sure you have the equipment you may need. All Trails here has some good reviews even though you may have to read down to find enough information to truly prepare. Have fun and happy trails!.... Gideon

We hiked this on Oct 18 and it was great. Perfect weather and no snow still. Very safe. Mt. Timp hike is the best in Utah County.

Started at 10am and the temperature was perfect. Emerald Lake was covered in ice and snow.

After Emerald Lake the path that goes under the ridge until you get on top of the ridge was covered in snow. I HIGHLY recommend bringing crampons/spikes going through that section. Also bring a light jacket / vest as there's chilling winds all the way to the peak.

This was fantastic. There was one area with enough snow I wished I had waterproof boots, but it was absolutely beautiful out there. This was my first time up and it did not disappoint.

Unforgettable experience. We were camping nearby and decided to venture up Mt Timp the next morning. We weren't very prepared, since we hopped in the trail last minute without any research. The trail isn't well marked in places and there is confusion over some "man made trails". We got lost a few times, hesitated finding a route to scramble at the end to reach the shack. Ultimately, the most amazing hike! We had to run down the last few miles and made it back to the parking lot just after dark.

This trail was really fun. I was expecting it to be a lot steeper. The longest part until you get to the meadow (about 5.5 miles in) is a really gradual incline with a few little bit steeper parts here and there. Once in the meadow you pass emerald lake and the shelter, you can either walk across the snow or follow the cairns across the rocks (we did the rocks, they were in the sun.) The hill up to the ridge is the steepest part of the whole hike and it really is a butt kicker after hiking forever. Don't stop at the ridge. You did not walk this far to not summit. From the ridge to the summit is my favorite part of the hike. You get to climb on the rocks and this is where we got pretty close to a mountain goat.

We started at 5:30 am and finished about 6pm. This was with taking a lot of breaks (my friend was really hungover hahaha) and stopping to filter water.

very breath taking....literally in every way! So glad i made it to the top of Timp! Round trip took 13 hours with breaks and a whole hour just relaxing at the top, enjoying the view and victory of conquering Timp! Wish i had a hiking stick to help control my footing going down slick paths of loose gravel and the long path of snow that never melted. Also a hat and sunblock would have been nice as well as a big group to match the pace with at least one person. Grateful i had the opportunity and would do it again next year but take a different path other than Aspen Grove.

Super hard hike for me but very rewarding!!!!! Adrenaline will kick in after a few miles lol just keep pushin!!! Bring food and water and head lamps if its going to be dark coming down!!

only made it to the shed, but I will conquer this hike this year. I started at 2:40am and the moon lite most of the way.

Great hike! The trail has a very consistent grade until the very top so, although it's longish, it's not a killer on my knees coming down. Love the diversity of views, geology, and wildlife.

Majestic

Tough trail! Made it to Emerald Lake. Legs got pretty tired (I'm old though and came from sea level). Most people we saw were able to summit. Trail not too crowded on this Friday. Didn't get far enough to see the goats but did see a couple of moose about half a mile from trailhead at about 6p. Beautiful wildflowers and views. Packed 4 24 oz bottles of water. Drank two.

So beautiful! Still a little snow on the trail (mid August) so take a hiking stick for stability. We (39 yr old, 10 yr old, 13 yr old, 69 yr old) were 7.5 hours to the top, 4.5 hours down.

my favorite trail. especially in late July when wildflowers and waterfalls abound it