Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove is a 13.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

exhausting, but amazing view.

October 28th 2017..
Amazing is the best thing I can say. Every turn was a photo moment and the challenges were significant enough to make them exciting but still entirely doable!
I met some wonderful people along the way including eight year old Kylie who was near the top when I met her and her mother Julie. .. see what I mean very doable ...if I lived here I would probably do this hike at least once or twice a month..
I decided to take the Aspen Trail because I heard there were waterfalls and I am a big fan of waterfalls. Even though they were not running like they would be in the spring or early summer they were still quite beautiful. Even the frozen ice Falls we're enough to have made me want to take the trail. Ran into a family of moose along the way... a bull mom and two calves. They actually impeded my progress twice while hiking up and again while coming down. They like the lower Trail around the aspen trees so if you hike that area just be aware. I did not get confrontational with them and they do seem to be somewhat used to humans but they are still wild animals and you never want to take that chance. Also heard from one of the hikers with her daughter on her 21st birthday that the billy goats up near Emerald Lake we're somewhat aggressive. I imagine being the fall of the Year might have something to do with it especially for the Billy.
Once I was up past the shack and headed towards the peak I had to cross the ice field. I had a couple of options. There is a narrow precarious ice Trail right up against the edge of the cliff which I do not recommend you taking without crampons or katula's. Something to keep footing in the ice. I think what is more dangerous is the fact that ice is on top of the loose Rock and boulders that have fallen from above. If the rocks give away under the ice you are not going to have any options. My solution was simple go up over the boulders furthur back away from the edge. ( to Dave from Visalia thank you for the tip ) It's somewhat of a scramble but I didn't need the crampons. Then come back down on the other side (Northwestern side) far back from the edge of the cliffs walk through the snow to find the trail once it has moved away from the edge. one set of hikers I talk to on the way up said they didn't go past the ice field simply because it looked too dangerous along the edge and they weren't prepared. That was a good call on their part. you should always research the trails thoroughly that you plan to do and make sure you have the equipment you may need. All Trails here has some good reviews even though you may have to read down to find enough information to truly prepare. Have fun and happy trails!.... Gideon

We hiked this on Oct 18 and it was great. Perfect weather and no snow still. Very safe. Mt. Timp hike is the best in Utah County.

Started at 10am and the temperature was perfect. Emerald Lake was covered in ice and snow.

After Emerald Lake the path that goes under the ridge until you get on top of the ridge was covered in snow. I HIGHLY recommend bringing crampons/spikes going through that section. Also bring a light jacket / vest as there's chilling winds all the way to the peak.

This was fantastic. There was one area with enough snow I wished I had waterproof boots, but it was absolutely beautiful out there. This was my first time up and it did not disappoint.

Unforgettable experience. We were camping nearby and decided to venture up Mt Timp the next morning. We weren't very prepared, since we hopped in the trail last minute without any research. The trail isn't well marked in places and there is confusion over some "man made trails". We got lost a few times, hesitated finding a route to scramble at the end to reach the shack. Ultimately, the most amazing hike! We had to run down the last few miles and made it back to the parking lot just after dark.

This trail was really fun. I was expecting it to be a lot steeper. The longest part until you get to the meadow (about 5.5 miles in) is a really gradual incline with a few little bit steeper parts here and there. Once in the meadow you pass emerald lake and the shelter, you can either walk across the snow or follow the cairns across the rocks (we did the rocks, they were in the sun.) The hill up to the ridge is the steepest part of the whole hike and it really is a butt kicker after hiking forever. Don't stop at the ridge. You did not walk this far to not summit. From the ridge to the summit is my favorite part of the hike. You get to climb on the rocks and this is where we got pretty close to a mountain goat.

We started at 5:30 am and finished about 6pm. This was with taking a lot of breaks (my friend was really hungover hahaha) and stopping to filter water.

very breath taking....literally in every way! So glad i made it to the top of Timp! Round trip took 13 hours with breaks and a whole hour just relaxing at the top, enjoying the view and victory of conquering Timp! Wish i had a hiking stick to help control my footing going down slick paths of loose gravel and the long path of snow that never melted. Also a hat and sunblock would have been nice as well as a big group to match the pace with at least one person. Grateful i had the opportunity and would do it again next year but take a different path other than Aspen Grove.

Super hard hike for me but very rewarding!!!!! Adrenaline will kick in after a few miles lol just keep pushin!!! Bring food and water and head lamps if its going to be dark coming down!!

only made it to the shed, but I will conquer this hike this year. I started at 2:40am and the moon lite most of the way.

Great hike! The trail has a very consistent grade until the very top so, although it's longish, it's not a killer on my knees coming down. Love the diversity of views, geology, and wildlife.

Majestic

Tough trail! Made it to Emerald Lake. Legs got pretty tired (I'm old though and came from sea level). Most people we saw were able to summit. Trail not too crowded on this Friday. Didn't get far enough to see the goats but did see a couple of moose about half a mile from trailhead at about 6p. Beautiful wildflowers and views. Packed 4 24 oz bottles of water. Drank two.

So beautiful! Still a little snow on the trail (mid August) so take a hiking stick for stability. We (39 yr old, 10 yr old, 13 yr old, 69 yr old) were 7.5 hours to the top, 4.5 hours down.

my favorite trail. especially in late July when wildflowers and waterfalls abound it

My husband and I hiked this trail on 8.19.2017. It is rated difficult for good reason! It has a lot of switchbacks, steep terrain, but also offers beautiful views, several waterfalls, and hiking amongst mountain goats. Bring lots of water and sun protection because there is not a lot of shade. It is a very hard trail but very worth it.

excited

The most beautiful mountain I've ever seen. Would recommend a hiking stick.

Started at 5:30am made it to the summit by 10:30. Beautiful waterfalls! Don't try to sled down the glacier my friend had to be lifted out with a broken ankle via chopper. Definitely an intense hike.

Beautiful hike, not for the faint of heart or out of shape. I've done this twice now, first time starting at 2:00 AM and we made it to the saddle by sunrise. Very windy and cold, so bring some jackets!

Second time we started at 12:45 AM and made it to the peak by sunrise, very beautiful. If you're not doing anything the day after, highly recommend starting at midnight. Avoid the heat of the sun, and you can see both the city lights at night and the sunrise.

I did 6 times the two different trails;Super awesome.
I will continue to do so.....

Beautiful hike. Well worth the trek. We slid down the glacier/snowfield but would not recommend it because a young man not in our group slid down right after us and cut open his knee after hitting a rock. We saw around 30 mountain goats all along our trail. Amazing vistas of the mountain west. It was incredible and I recommend it.

A challenging and great trail. You never know what to expect. Prepare for everything! I've done this probably 20 times. This side is more scenic and more enjoyable than the Timpanookee side in my opinion.

July 21st me and a few friends hiked up at 6pm planing to camp below emerald lake then early in the morning hike up to the top there was a lot more snow than I thought up there we ended up not hiking to the top but we saw quite a few people going up.

Went up June 30th had to turn around due to lots of snow great views great hike but timpanooke side is a better hike IMO

Hiked this on 7/20 with 9 boys (14-17) and 4 adults. We only hiked to emerald lake as we were worn out by then, but what an incredible hike! encountered SEVERAL snow fields still covering the trail. Some were easy to navigate, others we had to hike down below and then hike back up to the trail. Incredible waterfalls! All of the snow this year has them running full bore.

At one point we had to create a bridge across a stream with tree limbs we found laying around because the snow was still covering the trail. Had several slips and falls with the boys along the way (parts of the trail are very slick and wet and steep).

We hit the trail at 530 am and were at the lake by 1015 am. Ate lunch at the lake and headed down about 1130. Part of our group made it back to the trailhead by about 230pm. The slower ones trickled in over the next hour with all of us down by 330pm.

We saw a heard of mountain goats at the lake and the boys absolutely loves the hike! We measured it as 6.2 miles to the lake on a gps.

Tips:
Bring lots of water (its hot). Wear really good hiking shoes, bring a hiking stick, and an extra pair of socks to swap into at the top.

Hit the trail after a long day at work. Didn't go very far, but from 1 spot we counted 28 waterfalls! What a beautiful place!

Me And my 13 year old son hiked it on July 8th 2017. We left at 530 am and reached the saddle at 1030. made the summit st 1130 am. very beautiful hike. still alot of snow, but very fun to slide down the glaciers. challenging hike but well worth it . this was my 4th time to the summit. My son's first. I enjoy looking at the massive mountain from the valley

One of my favorite trails from either trailhead. You can plan a day hike of a night hike and summit the peak just in time for the sunrise.

We attempted climbing it 7/8/17. Reviews are correct to this point - there is a lot of snow still right now. There are a few really steep/sketchy parts that you should NOT ATTEMPT without crampons, mountain axe, and mountaineering knowledge.