Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove is a 13.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

My husband and I hiked this trail for the first time two days ago--excellent hike! On the way up it's a slow burn through the trees, with lots of gorgeous flowers. We started at 5 am and were able to enjoy seeing the sun slowly fill Primrose Cirque while ascending. After getting through the trees, the views are spectacular. We also saw many waterfalls, and wound up crossing one at least three times on the way up. We decided to turn back before going up into the trees leading to Emerald Lake, because we'd heard from others coming down that the ice field was too dicey to go through. Again, it being our first time going up, we decided to call it a day and headed back down. We will definitely try this again later in the season when the snow is melted more!

Great hike. We camped at Emerald Lake and it was a beast with camping gear. In the morning we threw on day packs and hit the summit. Amazing views.

Entire summit was about 17.3 miles. We hiked it from 10am until 7pm. Very difficult but definitely worth it (especially seeing the mountain goats near emerald lake on the way up and way back down)! The air quality is really bad right now so the views are pretty hazy. But you should still make it to the shack for that overall sense of accomplishment! We saw a lot of people backpacking in around 6-7pm with hopes of camping. There didn't seem to be a ton of places to camp so that was interesting. A fellow hiker told us the chipmunks are so bad up there, they'll eat through anything you have. Anyways, do this one. You may hurt the next day but it's worth it!

This hike is so AMAZING. The shack! The goats! The mountain meadows! The 3 waterfalls! Loved it!

It's a burner. But it's beautiful.

Ran out of water just after the saddle - after that, the riverbeds are dry-washes and the next time you'll see water is just before Emerald Lake. There's a small spring trickling out of the rocks on the south end of the saddle. If you're not looking/listening, you'll miss it.

It was a beautiful hike. Hard, but rewarding.

First timers for my brother in law and I. That mess was hard lol. Ran out of water at the saddle. Luckily the park ranger had a water purification system and helped us out. Definitely take something like Powerade or an electrolyte drink. Not just water. That rock path sucks. Seeing the goats made it worth it all

Emerald Lake to the Summit was extremely difficult (I’m not used to high altitudes, and there’s a lot of steep and/or loose rock to climb). But the views and feeling of accomplishment are so worth it. Just make sure you pace yourself for what your body needs, and look up often enough to know where the trail is. It’s discouraging to get off track when you’re tired. The trail is much easier to find coming down.

Really liked this trail. Only reason I’m giving it 4 is due to how heavily trafficked it is. Camped a bit below emerald lake for a bit more seclusion.

We started around 2:30 am to make it up for sunrise. I was skeptical but it was well worth it. We are pretty fast hikers and it took us about 6 1/2 hours of actual hiking time. Views are unreal

Very mellow hike if you are advanced. Wear good shoes there is a rock pile for about a mile of the hike near the saddle that is very difficult to maneuver on and if you don’t have a rock plate you feel every bit of it. Beautiful 360 views, great salt lake views, emerald lake was stunning and very cold. 3 hours to the top for advanced fast pace hikers. Expect to take 5 hours up if you are not.

Beautiful. From ~9500 feet on its a rock scramble but worth it. Look out for rattlesnakes at 10,500 feet.

Very mellow hike if you are advanced. Wear good shoes there is a rock pile for about a mile of the hike near the saddle that is very difficult to maneuver on and if you don’t have a rock plate you feel every bit of it. Beautiful 360 views, great salt lake views, emerald lake was stunning and very cold. 3 hours 25 minutes to the top.

This is my favorite hike ever. I’m hiking it for my 16th time tomorrow.

Beautiful hike! So many wild flowers, water falls, lakes and goats. Expect it to take around 9 hours if you are like us and like to stop to smell the flowers and gawk at the mountain goats. The hike felt longer than 14 miles and the ranger at the bottom confirmed that it is probably more like 16 or 17. Especially with exploration beyond the trail. Still doable in the day if you are experienced but definitely an long one. The aspen grove trail had significantly less traffic than the timpanoki side.

Beautiful and challenging hike. Start at aspen side and cross over to timpanooki. You will not regret it

Difficult but very rewarding. Hiked up Aspen grove and down Timpanogos trail. Staged a car at the finish the evening prior. Be ready for hiking over the scree fields (which I wasn’t prepared for). Not many people on Monday. The meadows in the cirque at the top make this a must do for wildflower viewing.

Beautiful trail. And not heavily used trail. Saw some goats at the lake, cooled off in a waterfall headed up. Great hike.

Great trail and unique way to view both Utah valley and Heber valley (incredible views!). I’ve always enjoyed breaking up the hike into two parts: hiking up and setting up camp, then summiting early in the morning.

Trail is well marked from base to summit. After reaching the saddle, there is some exposure to both sides of the mountain so be careful with young hikers and keep them near (not as intense as angels landing, but you can get an idea).

Be prepared to see several people as the trail is very popular! Full moon and no moon nights are the most popular amongst other hikers.

pretty difficult hike but well worth the views.

I love this hike. Watch for stinging nettle.

Amazing hike. Starts a little slowly, but you'll be grateful for it on the way back! The first waterfall is maybe a mile in, and is the perfect way to refresh after the first incline. Watch out for stinging nettles though! Great trail for in-shape dogs. I loved letting my tiny herd of canines play in the crystal clear mountain water. Best hike I've done this year!

Very strenuous. We hiked this on a Saturday, busiest day. We arrived at the trailhead parking lot at 5 am and the lot was half full. I started off in pants but changed into shorts about 1 mile up the trail. I suggest shorts on a warm day but bring a hoodie for the summit, it gets windy and chilly. We summited at 11:30 am. We all had 3 liter water bladders in our packs but that wasn't enough for a hot day. We all ran dry on the way down with 6 miles left to go. My GPS said 15.4 miles total. There was a little patch of snow, about 100 yds, on the talus pile between Emerald Lake and the saddle. The last mile from the saddle to the summit is the most strenuous. It is very steep and involves climbing stepped rocks on the steep western face of the slope. We arrived back to the trailhead at 4:30 pm (11.5 hrs total). We saw a moose with 2 calves and 4 mtn goats. The waterfalls helped us keep cool on the way back down.

I started at 6am and finished at 5pm. I made it as far as the ridge or saddle right before the last trek to the peak. I stopped frequently to take photos and enjoy the amazing views. The first 5 miles through lush summer greenery and wildflowers is beautiful. I call it the hanging gardens of Utah. Past Emerald Lake is a technical challenge. Crossing boulder fields and snow fields until a vertical climb up to the ridge is difficult but worth the view. It’s windy and cold up there on the last day of June so bring a jacket. My phone said 7.7 miles to the ridge, and others who made it to the top said it was 9 miles.

beautiful hike never been there first time really nice people up there we started at 3 in the morning make sure you bring something warm it's pretty cold up there still

Magnificent views through partially frozen Emerald lake... the Boulder/Scree field was pretty much a soft snow traverse. We used Crampons and trecking poles intermently until the chimney and some endurance to the summit.
11 hours out and back including much needed rest and spectacular photos.
Switzerland of Utah. Do this with some hiking and fitness preparation!!!

Really spectacular for the sunrise. Definitely a must do hike

This is not just a hard hike, it's a VERY hard hike. My Fitbit read over 16 miles, 444 minute without and over 500 floors to the summit... holy smokes! I'm tired. I had some nausea and light headedness. Bring as much water possible (10 - 11 cups) and drink often by sipping. Plan on hiking all day with frequent stops (9 plus hours). There are still snowy patches near the saddle, but our group didn't need any equipment and we had a 10 year old - 50 year old with us. Keep your eye out for mountain goats they are up there!

Definitely worth the hike, amazing views. Pretty straight forward. Some exposed areas partway up but nothing too bad. Definitely need some form of poles/crampons/ice axe to get to the peak. Made it to Emerald Lake but couldn’t safely go further without snow gear.

So hard and so worth it!! In the summer start early (before 7am) if you can. You’ll be out in the sun about the entire time. Start early, bring tons of water, and wear sunscreen! You’ll love it

It’s a difficult hike but has amazing views the whole time! Depending on the time of year, snow may be covering parts of the trail and be dangerous to cross. Many waterfalls to enjoy along the way. I highly recommend