Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(530)
Mount Timpanogos Wilderness

Mount Timpanogos Trail from Aspen Grove is a 15.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.9 miles Elevation Gain: 5,492 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There are two trails to the top of Timpanogos. This is the Aspen Grove trail. The other trail is the Timpooneke Trail. The Aspen Grove trail initially contains many switchbacks featuring many waterfalls and amazing views. The trail reaches a beautiful meadow area with some small lakes and the well-known Emerald Lake. The trail then stretches towards the saddle across a boulder field where it joins with the Timpooneke trail offering great views of Utah Valley. The trail then travels up the ridge towards the summit.

icy

5/11/20 Spectacular. The waterfalls were beautiful. The trail to the waterfalls was paved intermittently. After the second waterfall, the trail was well-established and easy to follow right up to the snow pack. After the snow pack, the trail was difficult to follow at times. This approach to Timpanogos is full of majestic views. The snow that covers the trail for most of the way to the peak is fairly steep and can alternate from hard to slushy to post hole (hip depth). Observed a pretty large rock and snow avalanche. Ran out of time after the cabin and turned back.

icy

Hiked on Sat. 5/2- Paved roads all the way up to the falls (easy). Past that point, you should expect muddy and snowy conditions. There were areas that are covered in 2 ft of soft snow, I do not recommend crossing unless you have snowshoes/spikes and proper equipment. Be very careful going down passing the avalanches/ deep snow areas.

Hiked up to meadow (Timp Shelter) with just hiking shoes! After passing upper waterfall you have a lot of snow and at some point you will have really fluffy snow or air pockets beneath it! Sometimes you might just stuck in it! Technically you could make, your way up (meadow or peak) with just hiking shoes but I would recommend snowshoes, you will save yourself energy and time! Through almost whole snowy part down you can slide on your butt ! This advice is for advanced hikers if you are beginner or this is your first Timp hike, wait when slow will melts!

Great trail all the way up to the waterfall with paved floor , I decided after the waterfall to continue going and came to a point where the snow does cover the trail and you will be unsure where to go , I wouldn’t recommend going passed this point . But other than that great hike to the waterfall !

icy

The hike to the fall was easy with pavement most of the way. However, parts to the path has snow. I continued on past the fall and hiked for a total in one direction for 2.5 miles until the snow was too deep. Some parts I had to use GPS to locate the trail. Once all foot tracks disappeared, that is when I stopped.

icy

Wear appropriate shoes. The trail was pretty wet.

Made it to Emerald lake today. It’s still really snowy, waist deep in some parts

icy

Need snow shoes and spikes. Unable to make it much farther past the waterfall.

I personally love this hike so much! Went with my boyfriend and two other friends about 2 1/2 years ago, and all I have to say about going with friends, is make sure everyone packs enough snacks to last them. One of the friends didn’t pack very much food and kept taking my snacks and I didn’t know it until we were almost at the top, it was sorta scary simply because I started blacking out and felt way dizzy. Other than that just wear good hiking boots/shoes and suitable hiking attire! So far my favorite hike!

icy

Attempted a summit hike on 11/23/19, made it to the boulder field before the ridge line, there was no boot pack for half the hike and the snow slopes covering the bolder field were weak and loose. There was no solid ice for the cramps or ice axe to dig into under the snow at the bolder field making them a moot point, I doubt getting their earlier would have changed conditions as I got to the boulder field before sun touched it. I turned around at this point and it didnt seem like anyone made it to the summit this weekend. Also a solid cornice has been developing at the top of the glacier. I will likely make a 2 day attempt later this winter and ski the glacier, given conditions line up. If anyone is interested in joining get in contact with me on all trails.

icy

I solo hiked to the summit on 11/17/19. I thought this would be the last weekend before more snow comes. It was a beautiful hike with gorgeous views. I saw a few moose. One of the encounters was at night, on my way back where I saw two shiny eyes very close to me—a bit scary! Parts of the trail were icy and my spikes and poles helped.