Mount Raymond via Alexander Basin Trail

Mount Raymond via Alexander Basin Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,425 feet Route Type: Loop

Strenuous uphill trek through beautiful basin meadows where moose and small wildlife are common. Conquer the peak in a difficult final scramble. Come prepared with proper hiking attire, plenty of water and insect repellent. Follow the same trail back or add a mile and circle the loop. Dog friendly but remember...Leave No Trace!

This trail seemed a lot longer than what AllTrails says it is. We did the loop not including Mt Raymond and clocked in more around 9.2mi. It was exhausting but incredibly beautiful. The leaves were really colorful right now. The mud was also pretty bad but not a dealbreaker - just be prepared for an exhausting hike.

beautiful hike! quite a bit of snow and mud, but nothing unmanageable- maybe bring trekking poles if you’re as clumsy as me. the two of us and a dog made it to the top just fine. also, its worth stopping at gobblers knob on the way.

9/14: This hike was beautiful! I started up Alexander Basin first which was a decent climb up but doable for sure! Once I got to Gobbler Knob I headed over to Mt Raymond. There is some scrambling required but nothing too serious. After enjoying the view from there, I headed back down and took the Bowman Fork trail to White Fur Pass trail. There were some small elevation gains on that trail that surprised me but again, beautiful views the whole way. I love that you can see both Big Cottonwood and Millcreek Canyon from both peaks. My watch clocked me at 9.5 miles. I think taking the loop this direction is best.

8/17. This hike was a lot harder than anticipated. The grade of the incline going up is fairly steep. It's decently hard, but not strenuous. This time of the year there were lots of wild flowers in the meadows along the way, makes for beautiful views along the trail. I brought my dog and she had a blast running through these areas. I did get stung by a hornet though, so be aware as there are lots of bees/hornets/wasps. Once at the top, the views are pretty spectacular and makes the hard climb up all worth it. you can continue back down the way you came and then go back up to Gobblers Knob for more of the same view. I DO NOT recommend doing it as a loop as shown on the map. The downhill climb from gobblers knob is incredibly steep and is somewhat of a scramble 1/3 of the way down. It took me a ton of time and was pretty rough on my knees (I'm 28 and pretty active/in shape and had trekking poles as well.) I would say to turn around and go back down the way you came. There really isn't anything you will miss not doing the loop. I probably would have given this a 4 star if I went back the way I came, but the decent down from gobblers knob was pretty miserable.

This trail was beautiful! The wildflowers are in full bloom along the entire route. The trail was a little overgrown in some sections but not too bad. With the two peaks, you feel like you’re always climbing! The top of mt. Raymond does require scrambling. I was hiking with a dog and didn’t feel safe so I didn’t make it to the very top. The trail doesn’t have much shade and there isn’t any water so plan for that. I clocked the miles at 10.8 round trip from the Alexander Basin trailhead. Definitely recommend for a longer hike!

cool morning with lots of wet vegetation that totally soaked boots and socks. the last 1/2 mile before the baker pass saddle had amazing fields of wildflowers. the peaks are spectacular with very serious 360 views. the descent in Alexander basin is very steep. had a moose encounter just above the bowman fork trail junction. big ole bullwinkle just grazed and then laid down about 10 meters off trail, kept a big eye on me as i slowly passed by. 5 stars for sure!

Sunday, September 09, 2018

I completed this hike via Bowman Fork Trail, adding an extra .5 mile, but I felt it was important to give advice on the final accent to the peak. Trail was amazing! When you are at the intersection (turn left for Gobblers Knob or right for Mt. Raymond), you will turn right. After going up roughly .3 miles, it will seem as though the trail ends. There will be a steep drop off/cliff to your right and a large left-sloping rock face in front of you. You need to scramble up the ridge of this rock face (30 yards or so) and then you will find the trail. Took me a while to figure it out so I hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

I had fond memories of this trail from hiking it a couple of times about 12-14 years ago when I was a semi-frequent hiker. Unfortunately my memories did not serve me well enough, or rather, they gave me false confidence; I probably shouldn't have undertaken this hike as an extremely out-of-shape non-hiker as one of my first attempts at getting back into things. Coming down from Gobbler's Knob to the saddle my knees and legs were already quite angry at what I was doing to them, so I skipped the leg that goes up to Mount Raymond. I did however take the Bowman Fork trail and Baker's Pass loop, shuffling along zombie-style for the last 2-3 miles. But enough about me, you're here to learn about this hike. What can you expect? • Unrelenting steepness from the Alexander Basin trailhead to the top of Goblin's Knob, save for about a 1/2 mile stretch of more moderate trail in the middle of the Alexander Basin trial. • Lush forests and wildflower meadows all along the way. In July, even the summit and exposed mountainsides of Gobbler's Knob were covered in flowers. • A decent amount of solitude, especially if you choose the loop through Bowman Fork > Baker Springs > Baker Pass (a.k.a. White Fur Pass.) The Baker Pass trail in particular is quite overgrown and does not seem to get a lot of traffic, although portions had been recently cleared (July 2018.) My memory served me well on this point and I was happy I chose to wear pants. • There is an actual spring along the Baker Springs trail with water piped right to side of the trail a little ways South of the junction with Baker Pass. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to mark it as a waypoint in my recording. I was just happy to grab some extra water and then sit in the shade off trail for a few minutes. If you want a lot of bang-for-your-buck in terms of sheer elevation gain and accompanying views for a short distance traveled, all while climbing/descending through lush basins, this is the hike for you. Don't be like me and forget you have to make it back down somehow, nor ignore that the loop actually adds several miles to your hike even if you don't actually go up to Mount Raymond.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Pretty gnarly hike, did it 10/20/17 and walked in snow most the way. Definitely recommend pack do snack or protein for this one. If your going to do it before more snow falls make sure you pack gloves and warm clothes for the peak.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Definitely a more difficult hike! we ended up doing an out and back on the Alexander Basin Trail which made it roughly 5 miles. The views at the top are worth the elevation climb!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

This is a difficult, lengthy, but highly rewarding and spectacular hike! The wildflowers are incredible right now! I highly recommend taking the highlighted route, at least 4L of water (I used 4 out of 5.5L, but benefited from a couple hours of cloud cover), bug spray (I regret not bringing it), and gaitors (or zip up pants) for the first half of White Fur Pass. Alexander Basin is grueling and unrelenting, but you are immediately rewarded with breathtaking views of Big Cottonwood Canyon once you reach the ridge. The summit of Gobbler's Knob is a very short distance away with more incredible views. The Basin is by far the most difficult section of the entire hike. It is completely exposed for the majority. When you get to the loose rock section, watch out for the trail near the bottom of it on the left side. It is easy to miss. Don't stay on the rocks for very long. The path down the saddle and up to Mt. Raymond (looks like a giant chisel on top) is clearly defined. The upper section near the summit has some decent scrambling, so use caution. More awesome views. The wildflowers on the saddle are amazing, but are nothing compared to what you see on Baker Pass. So many shades of white, red, purple, and yellow. Baker Pass is beautiful, lush, and vibrant. You will eventually come to (the backside of) a sign indicating the path back to Alexander Basin. Starting immediately, this section is quite overgrown with shrub oak, but not enough to lose the trail. Strap on your gaitors or zip up your convertible pants here (it is completely do-able without, but much more enjoyable with). There are some short climbing sections here as well. Enjoy the drive down gorgeous Millcreek Canyon ($3 exit fee) and take the rest of the day off, you've earned it!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I hiked this loop this morning and enjoyed nearly every moment of it. There is a fair amount of overgrowth on the northern section of the loop that requires some bush whacking, but that doesn't detract from the spectacular views and abundance of wild flowers. I stayed south at the first fork to travel up Gobblers Knob before continuing along the ridge to Mount Raymond. The final scramble to the peak of Mount Raymond was a ton of fun and the view that greets you at the peak is very impressive. This trail was just enough of a challenge to make the hike that much more satisfying.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

9.10.2016 | 20lb Backpack This trail is HARD but beautiful. It can be broken into two sections--hike to Gobbler's Knob and then continuing to Mt Raymond. The trail to Gobbler's Knob is steep and passes through meadows which are gorgeous in summer. After reaching Gobbler's you continue South, dropping down into a saddle and back up to scramble/summit Mt Raymond. Note that the reason this hike is strenuous is due to the steepness and the fact that you hike up to Gobbler's, down/up to Mt Raymond, down/back up to Gobbler's and steep down to trail head. It's an exhausting trek but the views are so rewarding! My GSD and I drank every last drop of the 6L water packed and rested for lunch after Gobbler's. There's a variety of shade/exposure along the entire trail so be sure to wear sun protection and trekking poles would be amazing for the way down! Prepare to fight your way to the end but if I can do it, anyone can!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Only hiked to the upper basin but I'm been on top of Gobblers Know and Mount Raymond on other hikes.

Sunday, September 16, 2018