Learn more

Mount Raymond via Alexander Basin Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(51)
Salt Lake City, Utah

Mount Raymond via Alexander Basin Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 9.6 mi Elevation gain 4,425 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Hiking Nature trips Snowshoeing Running Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Over grown Rocky Scramble Snow Fee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips
Getting There

Strenuous uphill trek through beautiful basin meadows where moose and small wildlife are common. Conquer the peak in a difficult final scramble. Come prepared with proper hiking attire, plenty of water and insect repellent. Follow the same trail back or add a mile and circle the loop. Dog friendly but remember...Leave No Trace!

Trekking poles recommended. Unlike other trails, there isn't a garbage can at the trailhead. Plan on transporting garbage and pet waste out with you. In November the access gate to Upper Mill Creek Canyon is closed. You must hike up the road to access any upper trails which adds significant mileage to your trip. Another trailhead to Mount Raymond (not dog friendly) is through Big Cottonwood Canyon. See the trail 'Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond' for details.

The trailhead is about 8 miles above the fee station. Look for signage and gravel parking on the right side after passing Clover Springs Picnic Area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (52)
Photos (705)
Recordings (41)
Completed (144)
Ethan Rowe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
HikingBlowdownNo shadeRockyScramble

This hike kicked my ass and I am a long distance thru-hiker. Due to the recent windstorm the first couple miles there is some serious blowdown. Lots of trees on the trail. Alexander Basin was beautiful and the perfect amount of steep, if you stay to the left you can skip the scree and scramble. Gobblers Knob was awesome, got to make a lot of jokes because I have the humor of a 12 year old. We could see Raymond from there. The trail drops to a saddle that connects Bowman fork. Some words of advice we got from fellow hikers was when you hit the wall climb up. I thought an emotional wall (spoilers: it is an actual wall). 65 to 70 degree wall so no need for rope or gear, dont try to go around it will get sketchy. Took Bowman Fork down, and made it through in just under 8 hours. Gnarly blisters and bruised toes? Put feet in river at the bottom. Have Fun! Did hike with commenter below

Elise Carpenter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!No shadeScramble
View Elise's Recording
Dawn Lords
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2020
Hiking

Steep climb. I used my hiking poles for bush whacking more often than hiking. There are lots of wild flowers and shubbery encroaching on the trail. The flowers are nearly spent. The views would have been amazing if the sky wasn't so hazy from fires.

View Dawn's Recording
Richard Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020

steep

View Richard's Recording
Shauna Eccles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2020
View Shauna 's Recording
Cameron George
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
View Cameron's Recording
Valeria Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRockyScramble

This is an extremely strenuous hike. Not for beginners, need lots of experience and water. First mile is a straight climb. Very beautiful flowers with tons of bugs but nothing bug spray couldn’t help. The peak is gorgeous though.

View Valeria's Recording
Harrison Lind
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Strenuous, but tremendously rewarding. The scramble up the ridge line crest to the peak of Mount Raymond is totally worth it. Wildflowers the whole way were beautiful! I went counter-clockwise, from Bowman Fork to Mount Raymond through Baker Pass and descended from Gobblers Knob into Alexander Basin, and was rewarded by the steep descent all the way back to the beginning.

View Harrison's Recording
Jon Goodwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2020
HikingIcyOff trailScrambleSnow

My buddy and I did this hike via Alexander Basin, went up to Gobblers Knob then hit Mount Raymond afterwards, I strongly suggest doing this now because we were the only ones dumb enough to be on it at this time. We walked 3 miles to the trailhead because the road was still closed, then it was quite fun trying to find the trail and making our own. We tried to do the loop but the sun beat us down the mountain. We eventually hit terrace trail and cut through the camps to finally hit the vehicles at 1am. We didn't expect hiking for 19 hours but not a ton of people get to say "2 peaks 1 day" and we had a blast doing it.

Tanya Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
HikingMuddy

This trail seemed a lot longer than what AllTrails says it is. We did the loop not including Mt Raymond and clocked in more around 9.2mi. It was exhausting but incredibly beautiful. The leaves were really colorful right now. The mud was also pretty bad but not a dealbreaker - just be prepared for an exhausting hike.

Alex Frost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2019
HikingMuddyScrambleSnow

beautiful hike! quite a bit of snow and mud, but nothing unmanageable- maybe bring trekking poles if you’re as clumsy as me. the two of us and a dog made it to the top just fine. also, its worth stopping at gobblers knob on the way.

Christina Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2019
Hiking

9/14: This hike was beautiful! I started up Alexander Basin first which was a decent climb up but doable for sure! Once I got to Gobbler Knob I headed over to Mt Raymond. There is some scrambling required but nothing too serious. After enjoying the view from there, I headed back down and took the Bowman Fork trail to White Fur Pass trail. There were some small elevation gains on that trail that surprised me but again, beautiful views the whole way. I love that you can see both Big Cottonwood and Millcreek Canyon from both peaks. My watch clocked me at 9.5 miles. I think taking the loop this direction is best.

Ryan Nichisti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2019
HikingScramble
View Ryan's Recording
James Donohue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2019
HikingBugsRockyScramble

8/17. This hike was a lot harder than anticipated. The grade of the incline going up is fairly steep. It's decently hard, but not strenuous. This time of the year there were lots of wild flowers in the meadows along the way, makes for beautiful views along the trail. I brought my dog and she had a blast running through these areas. I did get stung by a hornet though, so be aware as there are lots of bees/hornets/wasps. Once at the top, the views are pretty spectacular and makes the hard climb up all worth it. you can continue back down the way you came and then go back up to Gobblers Knob for more of the same view. I DO NOT recommend doing it as a loop as shown on the map. The downhill climb from gobblers knob is incredibly steep and is somewhat of a scramble 1/3 of the way down. It took me a ton of time and was pretty rough on my knees (I'm 28 and pretty active/in shape and had trekking poles as well.) I would say to turn around and go back down the way you came. There really isn't anything you will miss not doing the loop. I probably would have given this a 4 star if I went back the way I came, but the decent down from gobblers knob was pretty miserable.