Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,133 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3 climb up 4,000 ft. to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

I am glad I got up early and do this trail, it took me slightly over 4 hours to go and back, it’s quite slippery at the top and quite a bit of climbing, but once you see the mail box and the view, everything is worth it!

Super steep hike (over 5k elevation gain) to the mailbox (very top). Nice panoramic 360 view. Trail was muddy and snowy near the top. Took a little under 3 hours to get to the top with a brisk pace. Recommended to bring at least 2 liters of water and some Gatorade. Thankfully, it wasn't windy at all, although at the top temperature was a good 20 degrees cooler. Didnt see any wild life during this time (October).

recorded Mount Olympus Trail

This is an awesome trail, worth every step. Hiking poles recommended for most of the trail as it is very steep, but they become useless once the scramble begins. As novice scramblers, that was the most time consuming part of the hike, but other than that, the incline was manageable even if difficult. It does generally get steeper as it goes along. I had AllTrails track me the whole way, and it clocked in at 7 miles on the nose. This hike is not for the faint of heart, but I would recommend it for any adventurer up for a challenge!

This could be the top three trails I love most in SLC. Very close to my house and great sightseeing, especially at this fall season. I supposed this trail could be more than 7 miles. Pay attention to the last one mile, could be a challenge to new birds. And last but not least, be polite to those mountain goats! These creatures could be mad at you!

This was a beautiful hike! But much farther than 3.1 miles. I recorded 7.1 miles up and back. The view from the top is just incredible. Scrambling and bouldering the last .25 mile to get to the peak was a real rush. I’ll never forget it! I recommend this hike but get in shape first.

Awesome hike. Loved doing it in the cooler weather. Some ridiculous views to the south. Only took 4 hours round trip. The final 1.5 miles were tough, but doable. Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Highly recommend.

Amazing day! Beautiful fall foliage, wasn’t as treacherous as I thought! Challenging but a good workout

I’m no avid hiker and my cardio sucks. Hardest hike I’ve ever done. Used to be Observation Point at Zion’s but this takes the cake. Sooooo long, stepping over rocks is never ending. I wish I had the hiking sticks. The trail is beautiful especially with the fall leaves. The weather was perfect! I just wish I didn’t hear the freeway and all the cars. The view at the saddle is beautiful, and you can see the whole city and the great salt lake in full at the very tippy top. Scrambling to the top was wayyy fun. Dangerous but fun. Snacks are definitely a must, lots of water. Take your time and this hike is achievable without dying. Invest in those hiking sticks for this trail for sure!

My GPS had us at 7 miles to peak and back. My son and I are in good shape and this is one of the tougher hikes we've done. Last part was challenging with a couple of spots hugging the wall and looking for hand/foot holds. For those that clocked this in three hours, they are mountain goats. Took us five. As hard as some of the 14ers in Colorado

Super accessible from SLC, it's a tough challenge but not impossible for most. Last part is a scramble and can be a bit technical at times but it's worth it.

This trail was pretty steep and the last scramble to the top involved some rock climbing. We hiked it on the afternoon of 10/4 and the weather was great. Running back down we made the round trip in 4 hours 10 minutes. Two-thirds of the trail felt like step ups and by the end my legs were jello. Beautiful views, though.

I consider myself a pretty good hiker and this trail really put me in my place. Lol. It’s a fun hike but it’s pretty rough. Would totally recommend doing at least once!

First off...I recorded the hike in AllTrails and this is an 8.3 mile hike to the top not a 6.3 or whatever AllTrails said on 10/1/2019. This is a great, “hard” rated hike. It is rated hard for a reason. When we went temps were in the low 50s which was ideal. Leaves were in the middle of changing to red and orange. I would not hike this in the summer. There is very little shade and it would be hot. Take sunscreen. We went with a few people that are in the middle of their weight loss journey so we were a bit slower than everyone else. We had about 40 in our group. Fastest ones (walking speed and able to hike a conversation) finished the round trip in about 6.5-7 hours. I was in the very back supporting the stragglers and made it up and down in 10 hours. Sunset was amazing. Most of the group stopped at the saddle and some scrambled up the boulders to the very top. Top is a true bouldering climb and crab walk or climbing backwards to get down. I recommend gloves for the bouldering. Hiking poles are helpful for those becoming accustomed to long hikes. Saw a few trail runners on the lower to mid sections of the hike. Saw a few dogs. Did not see wildlife other than birds. Trails are well worn so it is easy to stay on the path. Could be tough to find the correct path on the bouldering section. Had to check AllTrails app to make sure I was going back the right path. I would do it again just for the challenge and the view from the top.

Excellent hike today When ascending the Summit, stay on Trail! Is is not so hard if you follow the trail up the gulch

The Mount Olympus trail connects with the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, it’s about half an hour from trail head. Watch for rattlesnakes AND always wear appropriate shoes. I say this after breaking toe nails due to the steep trail hiking down.

This hike just gets steeper and harder due mainly to the increasingly uneven surface. The final 500’ is almost a rock climb. Recommend sturdy walking boots rather than trainers. Walking down you suddenly realize how steep the climb was and the knees will feel it! Great hike non the less!

As of the 23rd there is no snow on the mountain. Be aware, the hike is extremely steep throughout its entire length and only has shade near the top.Overall an exciting but rigorous hike. I would recommend going early in the morning to avoid the heat.

Challenge but well worth the view

A fantastic hike if you want a challenge. The last half mile or so of getting to the peak is a steeper climb, less of a hike. I highly recommend this trail for the more enthusiastic hiker. It was also fairly busy today. Saw at least 20 - 30 people on the trail, though probably only about half went all the way up the peak.