EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3 climb up 4,000 ft. to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

Bucket list item for me! Got decent snowfall at the top and the last mile or so was snow packed. Crampons and hiking sticks a must!

Snow and mud on the top mile or so. Slushy but not icy. Didn’t need crampons/micro-spikes but they would make the decent easier. Great time to hike, had the peak to myself for 20 minutes.

Great trail. My Garmin told me a distance closer to 7 miles. Took me 2 hours to the top, 1.5 back down. Got to the top at 8PM, the sunset was pretty amazing. Gloves for a moderate scramble at the top would be useful. It snowed a bit recently so the trail was pretty wet with water, slush, and snow. The trail is also pretty rocky in sections. Really good though, I’ll be doing that again soon. Garmin says I burned 2,700 calories so be prepared for a workout.

a bucket list type of hike for the wasatch front. the view at the summit was phenomenal.

Did this hike 2 days ago with a group of friends. We started early (5:45am). The first few miles were great. We set a fast pace, so we really felt tired once we reached the last mile and half or so where there is snow. The snow had iced over, so it was very slick. Had to move fast. None of us had crampons, but we wish we did! The scramble to the top was a little scary with the slick rocks, but not too bad. The view made it all worth it! On the way down the snow had started melting making everything very muddy and slick. Go slow and you should be fine. Took a group of 10 college kids 8 hours with a 45 min stop for a meal. Gorgeous hike.

Very hard to hike. Didn't make to the top because of the snow. Glad didn't bring my dog because she will crash. I've seen other dogs were panting so hard.

Hiked 5/11/19 and temperature wise it was perfect - started at 10ish and 60 degrees, tank top and shorts was perfect entire way. Definitely bring spikes (chain type worked better than my micro spikes), poles would have been great but I was just booty scooting down in the snow which was SLICK.

Great workout if you’re out of shape like me. Trail to the stream is easier but a little more boring, in my opinion. Trail becomes visually stunning, and much steeper past the stream, with the last bit pretty much straight up the hill. I used spikes and poles on the snowy bit, which was about the last .75 of a mile or so. Beautiful views from the top. Great hike if you’re looking for big elevation gain and a peak you can point to from the valley. Every Wasatch hiker should do this at least once.

Great time of year for the hike as the temperature is comfortable. I used poles on the way up where snow covered the trail and microspikes on my hiking boots on the decent where snow was present. The views from the top of Mount Olympus are gorgeous with snow at the top and buds and blossoms developing below.

Fun and hard with snow. Bring microspikes and poles.

We didn’t complete trail because top is snowing. We don’t have right equipment.

Really fun trail. The beginning is pretty steep then it’s get a little mellow zig zagging on a nice path. Then it’s gets a little more rocky and choppy as you get close to the stream. After the first stream it was a mix of nice trail and rocky. After the second stream it was all snow. The last 1.5 miles was slushy slippery snow which made it hard to get to the summit but still doable. Didn’t have any spikes or poles. Bottom to top in 1 hour and 28 minutes. Then I got down in about 45 minutes (I ran most of the way...and slid in the slush)

I feel like I need to try this hike again in the fall or once more snow has melted and it would get a better review. I couldn’t make it all the way to the summit because of the amount of snow and my severe under preparation for that much snow. I didn’t have spikes or anything so I feel way too many times. The view from the saddleback was amazing though!

Hard, not as hard as I expected. Very exposed to the sun so sunscreen is a must. Bring spikes if you have them. Very slippery when you hit the snow. I recommend an extra pair of socks. You hike up a creek right before you hit the snow. Not my kind of trail but I am glad I did it.

Did this hike on 4-25-19. Recorded around 800' of elevation gain for the first 2 miles. The first 2 miles are just climbing a well defined trail. The last 1.5 mile is around 2400' of elevation gain and is currently pretty snowy about 4-8' to the top. My feet were frozen on the way down with just waterproof boots. I'd highly recommend some type of waterproofing for your feet. This made the decent pretty miserable this time of year. There is a nice coniferous forest staring at about 6000' or so. The last part of the hike is climbing and there are some slick parts "Snowmelt" right now, but the foot holds and angle of the rock are ok for moderately athletic people. I'd recommend getting an early start if you can to avoid slushy snow. All and all beautiful hike towards to top and rocky exposure below about 6000' feet.

very challenging, but worth effort!

Great weather for a summit! Snow was really deep a mile from the top. Beautiful waterfall from snow runoff.

Great trail, in the middle of the hike now and I can say it’s beautiful out today, perfect hiking weather!

Hiked Sat Apr 6 2019. First two miles (just past the creek crossing) were muddy, but not too bad. After that snow quickly takes over the trail and soon snow is everywhere. Harder than normal, but still doable to the summit. I’d suggest leaving early before the snow becomes too slushy. Was a good hike and worth the time. I was grateful to have had microspikes, gators, hiking poles, and thin gloves. I used them all for a good part of the hike.

I hiked up here some 50 yrs ago when I was 12 yrs old. My buddy bailed on me so I hiked it alone. Almost put my hand right on a small rattler abt 3/4 of the way up. I remember it was so clear you could make out the curvature of the earth from the north end of Great Salt Lake all the way down to Utah Lake! (Or maybe it was from looking out at the salt flats...?) When I came back down my parents had called the cops and they were just getting ready to come ‘rescue’ me. At least I didn’t have to ride my bike back home! Thanks to my training in my scout troop I was well prepared for the hike.....

Went before when I was not in shape/prepared. This is a sleep and long day hike! Need to pack enough water. Glove would be ideal at certain spots. Start the day early. The view was worth it! Box at the peak with all sorts of nice wishes to read.

Did a night hike and was definitely blown away by the view of the city, the best view in my opinion. It’s a hard hike constant uphill hike but well worth it.

Mostly dry leading up to the creek. Needed microspikes and poles after that.

Gear: snowshoes, ski poles, micro spikes, winter hiking gear, gators, gloves. I didn’t wear/use any gear till I got to the stream/waterfall. Then I put on spikes, and used ski poles. At the saddle I put on calf-covering gators. The snow above the stream was still firm for a few hundred feet then deteriorated to shifting and sloshy. Still manageable with spikes. The snowfield from saddle to summit was different. Numerous “snow boulders” had fallen and the whole snowpack was loose and appeared to be ready to slide. I stuck to the trail, ascending at about 130pm. I summited, and the trail down immediately presented challenges. The sun had melted some of it and weakened the trail. I had a fall just above a section of rock and snow and slid across all of it. The trail was giving way in the heat, but off trail would cause me to sink up to my hips. I called a friend before and after traversing the last of the summit to saddle down climb. The trail the rest of the way down featured worsening conditions of loose/melted snow. So much fun.

Couldn't make it to the top due to snow past my knees haha. but I probably made it 3/4 of the way! Really pretty hike though and challenging!

Beautiful day to summit mt Olympus.