Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

They say it's hard. How hard can it be, you think? They're not lying - it's HARD. To the saddle it gets hard-steep but not hard-technical about 2.5 mi in, where for the next 0.6 mi you climb 1,000 ft and it's RELENTLESS. You go up rocks (imagine the rocks in a mountain stream) rather than a dirt trail. It definitely gets your heart rate up and your legs wobbly. It would be ok up to the saddle with a kid but challenging: a lot of times you have to step up higher than adult-knee high so for a kid it would be very tiring.
Once you get to the saddle, the way up to the summit is 500 ft up in 0.4 miles, and very technical. I would think twice about taking a kid there, or even someone who is not very sure-footed or who is scared of heights. Look in the photos for a picture by Christine Cote that looks straight up: that's the way you're going. You really have to look for footholds at every step. Going down is equally challenging.

Once you get to the summit though, you're on top of the world. No picture can do justice to the view there. You just don't want to leave.

Note that mid-August the streams were dry; no point in bringing a filter. Just bring plenty of water; I went through 2 L and ran out with about 1.5 mile to go.

1:56 ascent not stopping and at a solid pace, 1:36 descent jogging at times.

My 2nd Summit! Amazing experience. Took me several attempts, but this Mountain helped prep me for much more to come … ! :-) _/|\_

The hike for me(18 years old) took 5 hours from parking lot to parking lot. absolutely breathtaking view and really feels accomplishing! Easy trail to follow. Make sure you write something and put in the mailbox at the peak!

Did this a little under prepared and on a whim. Don’t recommend that! The first 300 yards is very steep and let’s you know you’re in for a day of it. We hiked to the saddle , roughly 500 feet below the summit. That was probably enough (we started at 4800 ft, and the summit is 9100), but being so close we finished the hike. The hike past the saddle to the summit is a bit more like rock climbing than hiking. Tough but fun.

I’m 52 yo and in decent shape but it was a challenge. My comments? Plenty of water (it was 96 degrees the days we hiked it), leave early (we didn’t start until 0930, too late), and be prepared for an all day event. It took us almost 5.5 hours to do the 7.5+ miles. The view is worth it. And sign the book st the top. Last thing, rattle snakes seen on our trip near the summit.

What a climb! 4.5hrs round trip for my pup and I (saddle and back). Start early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Constant uphill with limited shade.
Heard from multiple hikers that the scramble to the peak is a bit sketchy, so we were satisfied with the saddle views (roughly 3.4miles up to get there)

I wanted to cry so bad at the end. My feet were blistering and you cannot stop on the trail for a long time without the flies being overwhelmed by your presence. The view was totally worth it and the hard work made the apple I had the juiciest, most delicious apple ever!

Did it yesterday. Agree totally with write up above. Tough but worth it.

This is definitely a hike to cross off your bucket list. This was my 3rd time and I forgot how steep the last mile is up to the saddle. My 10 year old daughter did it with me this time and she was a rockstar!! Start way early to beat the heat! We started at 330am - with headlamps. On the way back down we could feel the heat once we came onto the face of the mountain for the switchbacks. And sadly you get to smell all the exhaust from the freeway below for your last 2 miles of the descent. My gps said it was 4 Miles up to the saddle from the trailhead. We went up to the summit - making the hike 9.8 Miles round trip.

Really steep, great view and super fun once you get to the saddle. rough on the knees on the decent tho

Mount Olympus is one of the less scenic peaks along the Wasatch Front. It's easy to get to so time required to knock it out is less than some of the others. The trail is steep from top to bottom and exposed to sun in the late morning to afternoon. I recommend climbing early to avoid the heat.

Gorgeous views and probably one of the most difficult hikes I've done. Best time to go up is early-- around 5, if possible. You'll beat the crowds and you'll get cooler weather. I went up at 5:30 am and got back at 9:40 am. Pace is key with this hike. I recommend about 60 oz of water..

Start early in the morning, to beat the heat. First mile is easy, middle mile not too bad, but that last mile is tough as nails. Bring lots of water, and food. Hike takes the better part of a day.

I've done this hike a couple of times, and it's strenuous and challenging every time. It's fun, though, with great views at the top. The only downside is there aren't many trees and little shade. And it gets quite busy. I would avoid it on hot days, go early in the a.m., and take lots of water. After the melt but before the serious summer heat is nice.

Wow, 3.5 miles of ascent and the last half mile is a challenge for sure. Found the peak (mailbox and US flags)! Super view from on top!

tuve la oportunidad de llegar hasta la punta, fue una gran experiencia, me gusto mucho, volveria a subir...

Amazing hike, crazy steep and unrelenting climb with few flatter areas but the views at the top were so worth it!

Hiked this with a group of 12 20-somethings on a Saturday from 7:30am-12:30pm round trip. The key for us: weather. The hike is difficult no doubt, but manageable for all of us across a range of athleticism. The boulder scramble at the top weeded out a few, but the view from the summit was WELL worth it. Crucially, though, the day we went was overcast and temps stayed between 75-85 with even a little drizzle on the way down; this felt perfect to us. If you want to make the hike a little easier, search for a day that’s gonna be overcast but not very rainy (rain makes the rocks at the top dangerous). Hard to find in UT summers, but makes a big difference.

I started at 9:30 AM and finished the round trip at around 2:00. It is definitely a good workout... I would recommend bringing a lot of water and leaving earlier in the day.

6 am start and had shade pretty much the whole way up. A lot of high-stepping on this hike, definitely works the quads and calves! For comparison, it’s MUCH more difficult than Lake Blanche.

With that being said, it’s definitely worth the summit! Spectacular views at the top.

4 start for the lack of shade, but if your hiking this trail, you know what it’s about before you start. It’s well worth the work.

I was aching to try this hike alone and see what kind of time I could get. I felt really good about my 2 hours and 12 minutes to the top. It took a good 3 days to recover but now I am itching to go back. So Amazing! Hard on the knees.

Intermediate to advanced hiker.

Started at just before 8am, got to the top in ~2.5 hours. Drank 40 fl oz of water. Mostly all shade at this time. Pretty intense hike given how short it is and how much elevation gained. The scramble isn't bad, short with lots of good footing and edges to leverage with hands.

Descending down was mostly not in the shade. It got hot fast. I missed how long it took me to get down but only had 25 fl oz left, wish I had more. I also wish I had started earlier to avoid more of the heat.

Lots of lose rocks coming down the scramble. From the saddle on, the path is narrow with lots of big enough rocks that you can't rush it much. Ran into a few rattle snakes. Some sections towards the last half of the hike descending that you can rush by running.

The views are great.

Mount Olympus was a great hike. Awesome views, good shade, and the top is amazing. I will say though that you should start very early and also don’t do this hike if you haven’t done a hike in a while. It is challenging and quite a work out, but still worth it.

I attempted Olympus a few years back with a friend of mine and stopped about halfway up the mountain due to joints acting up. I always wanted to try again but the opportunity didn't come until this week. My sister and I both had the 4th off, and we'd talked about hiking Olympus for awhile, so we finally went after it. We started on the trail just before 6 am and that allowed us to stay in relative shade for the vast majority of the hike. We did the first three miles in just under three hours. The last mile to the saddle took another two hours because the grade just becomes so incredibly steep and rocky at that point. The saddle is almost enough of a reward, but the summit is so close that it'd be a waste of your effort to not go up the scramble to the top. I'm no rock climber, but I have some pretty powerful legs, so the scramble wasn't physically challenging. But I have a terrible fear of heights, so that entire part of the ascent was a constant mental grind to keep going higher. We finally summited just after noon and felt accomplished. Then the descent began, and that's where my fear of heights really went bad. But we made it back to the saddle fine and headed down the trail. It was slow going due to the steepness. And I felt it pretty good in my knees. We were extremely conservative on our water use the whole time, but with temperatures hitting 98, we ran out with about two miles left on the most exposed portion of the trail, so those last two miles were perhaps more painful than the whole rest of the hike combined.

I'm glad I did it, but I will never be hiking this particular trail again. The steepness and the mental challenge against the heights on the scramble were rewarding, but a little too much for my taste. I recommend it to anyone with the stamina and the insanity to take this mountain on, but if you do it midsummer like we did, learn from our mistake and take way more water than you think you're going to need.

Happy trails.

I have neglected logging new hikes as I go. I hiked Mt. Olympus on Friday the 13th in Oct. All went well, but at times I felt like I was going to die. There are very few breaks on this trail. It was wonderful to hit the saddle and take in the views and catch my breath before finishing this one out. Hard but worth while hike.

Hoy tuve la oportunidad de subir hasta el final del camino, que muestra el app. Fué de mucha ayuda. El primer tramo fue algo difícil para mi. Pero el último tramo era más empinado, pero valió la pena.

Not going to lie, It was challenging. I would do it again, but I would time myself.

This trail kicked my butt. It's a steep hike with lots of elevation gain. It's been a while since I've had such a good work out. Definitely worth it to scramble up the rocks all the way to the top. I enjoyed it!

There are many less strenuous hikes with better views that are more rewarding. Glad to have done it for the bucket list, but can’t say I want to repeat that one any time soon.

Very challenging but super fun