Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,133 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of May, 2020, users have reported that the existing trailhead parking is CLOSED for construction. Only a small portion of the northbound shoulder adjacent to the project work area will be blocked off for construction activities and should not significantly affect those that choose to park along Wasatch Blvd. Please consult the park's website before visiting. Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3 climb up 4,000 ft. to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

Their is no relief from the intense climb from the very beginning, but the views along the way and at the summit are worth it.

Tried to beat the heat by starting at 4:15, got hit with rain and thunder. Saddle to summit was a bit of a scramble. On the way up went left at the big fallen trunk, ending up coming down to the right of it. Little bit easier for us. Did this last year with a chihuahua/jack russell mix and she made it fine but can see how older/lower energy dogs might have some difficulties. Great 360° view at the top!

Great hike. The elevation gain is pretty relentless with a scramble at the summit. It is well shaded for the upper half. But the hike is very doable and we summitted in about 2.5 hours. Start early to beat the afternoon heat! Some of the best views of the city and the mountains!

Started around 8am today. Plenty of shade the entire way up because the sun doesn’t crest the summit until around lunchtime. Had a hot and grueling descent on Jello-Elvis legs shortly after noon. Spent about an hour on the summit. Unrelenting elevation gain the entire way. Feels like a never-ending staircase. Beautiful views on the sumsum. 360 of the Wasatch/ Salt Lake Valley. Last scramble requires a bit of route-finding, coordination, and balance. It’s pretty difficult to get lost if you just look up every once in a while.

I just got back in to hiking, I'm out of shape... This trail kicked my booty! I didn't make it all the way, but I got goals! The way the trail starts out was intense(for me). But, I pushed through because the higher I went the better the views and reward!!

Did this hike today and am proud to have completed it. A friend told me this hike is “brutal” and he wasn’t kidding! Full disclosure, I’m a moderate hiker and have never had to scramble before. I’d read the reviews on here, but was not prepared for the last bit. It’s very intense and difficult to figure out where the trail is. After the first really steep scramble, we veered right and stayed on the trail, however closer to the top we got off trail and ended up on a sketchy patch. But we survived and were able to make it to the top! All in all, it was a good experience and am glad we made it to the top. Just make sure you know what to expect and start EARLY to avoid the heat!

6/3/20 This was a trail clearing hike. I remove this to basketball size loose rocks from the trail by putting them on the side of the trail. I found some very brightly painted rocks with messages on them for people to find while they were up in the canyon. A man-made object left in the mountains is litter. A painted rock is a man-made object, just like a tinker toy is a wooden man-made object... neither should be left in the wild. I disposed of said rocks.

Steep hike, especially near the end where you have to scramble up some rocks. Decent amount of people mid-week. Definitely bring plenty of water and start in the morning to avoid sun on the climb. Nice views of nearby mountains and of the valley.

I would recommend leaving in the morning no later than 7, as you will be shaded in until you get to the top scramble. At the summit I met a young family with a boy as young as Nine, if he can do it, you can do it. The scramble is short but intense. The first half on the way down is shaded, until you get to the creek, which is still running. The last half on the down hike offers a superb unabated views of the valley. Easy peak to bag with bragging rights.

The best way to hike is to start at 2:30-3 am and beat the sun! It is amazing and definitely worth it

We thoroughly enjoyed our hike yesterday on 6/1. With my wife and two of our boys ( 11 and 9 years old) we reached the summit in 3.5 hours. The descent took us around two hours. We started at 5:30 AM and had shade all the way up until the last 1/2 mile or so. The way down was shade about 50% of the time. Definitely bring a hat for the last few miles of descent in the sun. The scramble up to the peak was fun and not overly dangerous, although, note that slow and steady wins the race.

This is a great hike. I would not recommend taking dogs. My lab could not summit because it’s just to steep and rocky and he has done many summits with me. The trail has little shade and gets very hot in the day. I started at 7:30 and it was still to hot. I would recommend starting before the sun comes up.

Nice to meet other hikers today. A steep, brutal, but beautiful hike. I liked the views and pine forest near the top, but the steep 6 miles made for a challenge (and I'm in decent hiking shape). The dry dust on the first half of the trail also means you will get covered in fine dirt by the end. I feel like I should've gone earlier in the spring because it became pretty hot in the non-shaded areas around 11:30. I would recommend starting really early in the morning from June on.

Busy Saturday. Hikers are a polite bunch tho. Breathtaking views. Scramble at the top made it a fun adventure

Hard hike, it gets steeper as you get closer to the top. Worth it though. Make sure you have enough water and food!

Did this today with my dog Jada, she made it all the way to the top, had to pick her up and place her on rocks during the scramble. We did it in 3 hours 12 minutes up and down. If you are going to do this hike either start at 7/8 am, as there isn’t much shade on the decent. Loved meeting so many nice folks that were on the trail today!

Katie Cowan, found your left bud - hit me up at ploophiggins@gmail.com

First time doing this trail today and decided to do it by myself. Absolutely loved it. It’s a killer incline practically the whole way up, but the views are so worth it. I’d recommend doing it with a friend if it’s your first time, especially for that last scramble. Ended up meeting some great folks who I went up and down the scramble with in the end. Will be doing again!

I saw the reviews of this hike being steep but I didn’t realize how steep it meant. There were times on this hike where crawling on hands and knees felt easier than walking. As a person who doesn’t often do hard hikes like that it was very difficult. The last part at the end is straight bouldering a few hundred feet in the air. It was really hard but totally worth it! At the top you get 360 degrees of unobstructed views. There is also hardly any shade so go early in the mornin when it’s still pretty cool. We were hiking down at around 1 pm and it was baking- definitely wear sunblock. The other hikers were all super nice and friendly and had good trial manners. For being a hard hike it’s definitely heavily trafficked but there’s no trash at all. I definitely recommend this hike if you’re up for the challenge!