Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,133 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of May, 2020, users have reported that the existing trailhead parking is CLOSED for construction. Only a small portion of the northbound shoulder adjacent to the project work area will be blocked off for construction activities and should not significantly affect those that choose to park along Wasatch Blvd. Please consult the park's website before visiting. Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3 climb up 4,000 ft. to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

I’ve bagged some beefy peaks and I will say this one is not for the faint of heart if you’re trying to make the true summit. I wouldn’t recommend taking dogs or small children passed the saddle... you are hiking to 9,000 feet from the valley floor... be prepared, and LEAVE NO TRACE

The best way to hike is to start at 2:30-3 am and beat the sun! It is amazing and definitely worth it

We thoroughly enjoyed our hike yesterday on 6/1. With my wife and two of our boys ( 11 and 9 years old) we reached the summit in 3.5 hours. The descent took us around two hours. We started at 5:30 AM and had shade all the way up until the last 1/2 mile or so. The way down was shade about 50% of the time. Definitely bring a hat for the last few miles of descent in the sun. The scramble up to the peak was fun and not overly dangerous, although, note that slow and steady wins the race.

This is a great hike. I would not recommend taking dogs. My lab could not summit because it’s just to steep and rocky and he has done many summits with me. The trail has little shade and gets very hot in the day. I started at 7:30 and it was still to hot. I would recommend starting before the sun comes up.

Nice to meet other hikers today. A steep, brutal, but beautiful hike. I liked the views and pine forest near the top, but the steep 6 miles made for a challenge (and I'm in decent hiking shape). The dry dust on the first half of the trail also means you will get covered in fine dirt by the end. I feel like I should've gone earlier in the spring because it became pretty hot in the non-shaded areas around 11:30. I would recommend starting really early in the morning from June on.

Busy Saturday. Hikers are a polite bunch tho. Breathtaking views. Scramble at the top made it a fun adventure

Hard hike, it gets steeper as you get closer to the top. Worth it though. Make sure you have enough water and food!

Did this today with my dog Jada, she made it all the way to the top, had to pick her up and place her on rocks during the scramble. We did it in 3 hours 12 minutes up and down. If you are going to do this hike either start at 7/8 am, as there isn’t much shade on the decent. Loved meeting so many nice folks that were on the trail today!

Katie Cowan, found your left bud - hit me up at ploophiggins@gmail.com

First time doing this trail today and decided to do it by myself. Absolutely loved it. It’s a killer incline practically the whole way up, but the views are so worth it. I’d recommend doing it with a friend if it’s your first time, especially for that last scramble. Ended up meeting some great folks who I went up and down the scramble with in the end. Will be doing again!

I saw the reviews of this hike being steep but I didn’t realize how steep it meant. There were times on this hike where crawling on hands and knees felt easier than walking. As a person who doesn’t often do hard hikes like that it was very difficult. The last part at the end is straight bouldering a few hundred feet in the air. It was really hard but totally worth it! At the top you get 360 degrees of unobstructed views. There is also hardly any shade so go early in the mornin when it’s still pretty cool. We were hiking down at around 1 pm and it was baking- definitely wear sunblock. The other hikers were all super nice and friendly and had good trial manners. For being a hard hike it’s definitely heavily trafficked but there’s no trash at all. I definitely recommend this hike if you’re up for the challenge!

Hiked it May 11. Perfect weather. There's a spot on the rock scramble last 500' that had me a bit nervous on the way up about how I'd remember how to get back down, but it turned out fine. There were a lot of younger people on the route who seemed to know what they were doing, which was reassuring.

Intense and hard, but it felt triumphant to complete it finally. The rock scramble at the end wasn’t as hard as the mile just before that where it just went up steep for days. Took 6+ hours and the hikers around me were at a similar pace. A group that started at the same time as me ended up over an hour behind so this really is a Long hike! Got hot in the afternoon on the way down, but still a great season to do this hike. No rattlers, no snow, saw kids and quite aged people doing it, which amazed me! People kept telling me the view is so worth it, but it’s a similar view with Grandeur or Sunset Peak via Catherine Pass (that’s an incredible view!) just a lot steeper and longer getting there with this one. The view wasn’t really worth it for me in the end. But I did the hike just to finally do Mt. Olympus.

I lost a jlab ear bud on the trail today ic anyone finds it please contact me! Thank you! Ploophiggins I sent you an email

Trail is amazing right now. Little muddy toward the top but nothing too crazy. Arguably one of the best training mountains nearby to prep for the harder ones like Lone / King / etc. Can’t ask for a better view at the top. Park on the Wasatch Front near all the other cars and it’s hard to miss the trailhead. Hike itself is pretty much straight incline which is to be expected. You’ll pass a couple streams and some other fun spots. The trail has a good mix of openness, wilderness, flowers, and forest. You won’t be bored. There is a bit of a scramble at the very end but don’t let other reviewers scare you, it’s not that bad. Maybe 2 spots that are very slightly technical, the rest is just climbing up boulders. If you’ve done some other mountains like Lone or Neb this will be a breeze. I saw a dude sliding down it like he was in a sled for a solid 3 mins while there was another group that watched their every footstep heading up and probably took a full hour for a 10 min scramble. Hopefully you’ll be somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. For Intermediate/Advanced hikers: this trail will only take you like 4 hours. I put it off because so many reviews say it takes a long time, 6+ hours, all day, etc but I finished it in at near exactly 4 (3:54) including a 30 min chill session at the top. I didn’t even jog up it so if you’re intending to jog it and limit your time at the top I could realistically see 3 hours ish. I walked at a (probably) 3.0 pace the entire way without breaks then gentle jogged (3.5-4) down. If you stop to take breaks or stay up top it’d take longer, obviously. But don’t put it off like I did if you have 4 hours, very reasonable timeframe for the more advanced hiker.

Easy access from the city, just pull off the side of the road and head up the trail. Great views from the get go. They keep getting better. The landscape changes are nice; Mountain desert, flowers and shrubs, spruce forests, and finally the push for the summit.. after the Saddle you go up, and find some steep scrambling. Just take it step by step. The views are quite rewarding.

Very intense workout! Make sure you plan enough time for this one. It can be pretty long. We ended up not doing the scramble (thank goodness, my legs were dead enough.) There is barely any shade on a sunny day so plan accordingly. Saw a couple rattlesnakes, so keep an eye out. Probably too intense for young kids