Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

Tough trail. Very steep most of the way including a good amount of scrambling at the top. 3.5 miles to the top. Some road noise until you get about 2 miles up. Great views. No snow or ice on the trail as of 5/13. Tiny bit of snow at the summit.

Awesome trail but pretty much a full incline for 3.5 miles to the top. The very top is basically a rock climb with little or no signs of a trails. But the views make it worth it! I got just under 7 miles on my watch to the top and back. I would suggest bringing some sort of hydrations and maybe some bars, it is not a quick one!

Can hear the highway for a majority of the hike. The hike itself is a nice set of switchbacks but there is very little listening to nature done on this hike

Excellent trail, and difficult. Round-trip to and from the saddle took about 5 hours for me (I am 61 years old). My 9 y.o. Swiss Mountain dog made it too, but she was very hot at the end! Go at sunrise if you are hiking with a doggie! I saw a rattlesnake on the trail too, so be aware. All in all, a great trail for training!

Fantastic hike, I highly recommend. Difficulty gets progressively harder as you ascend. Incredible views up top. Snow is all but gone, no more need for spikes or yak trax. Amazing views of the valley, and Antelope island/ Great Salt Lake in the distance. Bring a minimum of 2 liters of water per person. Dog friendly, the trail crosses a couple of streams canines can drink from mid way up the trail.

Great hike today, definitely a leg burner! Great views at the top!

Very strenuous hike that leads to an amazing view. There is a little bit of ice and mud towards the end. Make sure to wear sunscreen because there is not much shade!

This was such a challenging hike! It was worth it but I am in awe of all the trail runners who zipped up and down this trail so quickly. Bring lots of water and spikes, I did the hike without putting them on but there is still some snow and ice at the top.

Muddy in spots and some ice pack. Good shoes and maybe poles will help a lot. Long and challenging hike for me. Fantastic view from the top! Start early to beat the heat.

Amazing trail! This trail is pretty hard but so beautiful ! The view from the top is just awesome. You need some SPIKES, there is a lot of snow and ice melting right now. The last part to reach the Mount Olympus is bit harder but you can reach it if you are in shape and have good gear. Alson bring enough water.

Great fun. Melting Snow and icy the last 1/2 mile. The scramble at the end was most challenging.

Great hike. The snow has pretty much all melted but there were still some slippery sections toward the top. I brought yaktrax but didn't end up needing them. I ended up losing the trail at the peak but still made my own way up. Amazing views made the steep ascent worth it!

Great spring hike to train for be bigger stuff

Pretty tough going up, a bit icy during the morning but very slushy and muddy coming back down around 3PM. I'd definitely recommend having some good climbing boots or trail runners for this, I did it in the running shoes I use for regular trail running but I slipped a lot.

The scramble towards the top was a lot of fun, I'd definitely recommend this trail - it's a very rewarding one.

This is the first peak I have ever climbed and it was very tough for me. It was icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon. spikes, gloves, and poles made it very manageable.

I'm 13 and just did this hike for the third time. There is snow on the way up to the saddle, but no snow on the scramble. We started at 5:30 and made the top by 7:30, we got down at 9:50. The only gear we had was hiking poles, so it is possible without ice gear. The view from the top is amazing, but the hike is not. The hike is very steep but worth it.

Holy pain in the butt! Doing this hike is no easy task. The trail gets confusing once you start the scramble to the top, so when all else fails, just keep climbing!

This hike is NOT 3 miles. About 6 to the very top. Beautiful but pretty challenging hike. Spikes are a must right now

Gorgeous hike!

my first

Didn’t take the prior reviews seriously about the necessity of ice spikes, but stopped in REI for some YakTrax just to be safe. Glad I did. You won’t reach the summit without some extra traction. Did not bring trekking poles or running gloves, but would recommend both. If you can handle the ice/slush, the views are amazing.

Beautiful hike. Still a bunch of snow and ice on the trail leading up to the saddle, so spikes are a must.

Beautiful day to summit Olympus. The trail got a little icy around 2.5 miles, so spikes helped for sure. I would suggest hitting the trail early while the snow is still icy to avoid the slush. The trail is well broken all the way to the summit. Beautiful sunrise from the top and many friendly and respectful hikers met on my way down. Keep trekking!

Rated hard for a reason. It's a steep climb up over rocks that at times offer few footholds. But the views and experience winding up the mountain is well worth it. My puppy had a blast climbing the rocks like a little goat. There's still slush on the trail (and icy parts where the forest starts), so we didn't complete the trail. You want to wear good shoes and consider ice crampons in you want to reach summit right now. There are plenty of spots right off the trail to stop, catch your breath, drink some water, and rest your legs while you enjoy the views. The trails are a bit confusing around mile 2 with all the switchbacks, so you might want to have your app handy to check you're on route. We'll definitely return once the snow melts a bit more and try for the summit.

The 1st part of the big stairs are kinda fitting considering your hiking up to mount Olympus. We got almost to the 2nd creek. After the 1st it is covered in snow 75% of the trail. Will be coming back to attempt the peak next month or June.

Went up on the 5th and the snow tracks end at the last half mile of the trail. Had to turn around because I didn't know the trail well enough to figure out the right way and the snow was thigh high. Tough but worth it even if you don't make it to the top. One of my favorite trails in SLC! Beautiful year round and almost the whole hike up.

Loved it! Steep in some parts and a bit of a rocky climb at the end but the view is definitely worth it. Definitely recommend going earlier in the day

Love it!!! Ultimate workout and do close to to. I’ll be back

Hiked to summit 2 days ago and it was gorgeous! Wore spikes for much of the ridge line portion between the switchbacks and the scramble.

Hiked to the summit on 1/28/18. Amazing trail with some good challenges once you get up past the switchbacks. I hiked the first mile or so without spikes but once you get past the switchbacks it was snowpacked and the spikes were a huge help, especially coming down to prevent slipping. The scramble at the top was snowy and icy, so just be sure to watch hand and footholds coming up and going down. Beautiful views at the summit and a cool mailbox with notepad to sign. Took about 2.5 hours to the top. Took my time coming down, stopping on a few ledges for photos and to just enjoy the day for about a 5 hour round trip. Easy to find the trailhead with lots of other hikers and trail runners on the bottom half.