Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3 climb up 4,000 ft. to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

It's a steep hike that offers really cool views of the Salt Lake Valley. Not one of my favourites as there's no waterfalls, rivers or lakes to look at. It is doable in winter and I enjoyed myself over all, but it is exhausting fighting all that snow and it delays you. Make sure you have more time than you think you need before sunset. It's dangerous with light-hearted sliding down the steep, slick trail.

This is absolutely one my All Time favorite summits in Utah. I love it because it’s steep and relatively a short 3.3 mile to the top. My personal record to the summit stands at 1 hour 37 min and little under 41 mins to run back down to the trailhead. As of December 8th, I have summited Mt. Olympus 16 times in 2018.

I did this hike as a prep hike the weekend before I did Mt. Whitney. It was my first time doing it even though I have hiked all over the Wasatch Front. I was amazed at how majestic this hike is from beginning to end. It's a great hike to do in the late fall and early winter because it starts at a relatively low elevation compared to most other hikes near Salt Lake City/Sandy, Utah. As such there was little to no snow on the trail. I did it in about 5.5 hours (around 3 hours up, 2.5 hours down).

On the last quarterish mile scramble to the summit, I got misdirected and started ascending the wrong way. Luckily, a dude set me in the right direction (thanks Stu!) and I got to the summit to take in the preposterous views of Salt Lake Valley. Early on in the hike, it also forks and one prong of that fork goes down the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. I walked down that trail for a few hundred meters before I realized my error (thanks to the AllTrails app).

I highly recommend this hike.

Loved every second, on the way up at least

Found a sport dog field trainer thing on the trail. find me on Instagram @savethenegs to retrieve it.

Spectacular view of the SLC valley! A great Halloween hike!
Dress warm ❄️

Holy crap what a trail!!! Very rewarding and yet hard , not for the fainted heart! Did this hike on Halloween day, you may see snow towards mile 3 once you get to first summit it’s all dried! Lot of people on the trail. Made it to top in 3 hours plus about half hour for breaks and picture takes, coming down was also a little challenging because of the snow that melted and now it was slushy, def hiking poles . Coming down took me 2 hrs.
Layer up as it’s very cold on the scramble area if sun is not out. Happy hiking!

Snow is all gone as of yesterday. Incredibly steep but rewarding trail! The scramble wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Have shoes with good grip!

Well worth it! The views are outstanding! We consider ourselves pretty fast hikers, but this is a continuous incline that feels like you're on a stair-master at the gym. Roughly 7 miles round trip took us 5.5 hours total (4.5 hours moving 1 hour of breaks and pictures). We're not "climbers" and we had no problem with the "scramble" after the saddle. October 27, 2018 no snow on the trail.

A word of warning: 3.5 hours into my hike all my credit card companies sent fraud alert texts to me. My car was broken into and the bad guys took all my cash and credit cards. I have been told by a friend that this is unfortunately common when you park in the parking lot. The advice is to park on Wasatch Blvd. where there is plenty of traffic passing by, and not in the parking lot. Went on October 26, and we wore shorts, it was so nice. Brisk but not too cold, and it is quite steep so we were plenty warm.

As of today the snow has 99% melted leaving nothing but suffering for that last mile as you go. straight. up. forever. It's

Been working up to this hike for weeks and it’s been the most rewarding Wasatch trail yet. Wouldn’t recommend it for beginners, this is a long and steep hike. Almost at the peak there’s a fantastic viewpoint, which is a worthy stopping point but it gets a bit more technical to the summit. Went in early October, there was some ice and snow on the second half of the trail so be prepared for that.

Steep but totally worth the stellar view!

Really good view, really steep. Good warm up for upper bells reservoir in my opinion. West slabs scramble is a lot more adventurous, but couldn’t find anywhere to rate.

Suuuper steep but 100% worth the view. One of my favorite hikes of all time.

Great time of year to go. Wild temp change from sweating hot to super cold towards summit. Definitely exhausted at the end but totally worth it. Didn’t actually need that much water. 1 liter this time of year was good for me. Friend took the wrong path near top so be sure to stick to the trail. You reached the top when you find the black mailbox.

真的很棒,最后一段的攀爬那简直就是精华。很累,费腿。
值得一去,但是强度不小。

Did this hike yesterday and it was so worth it to see the view at the top! It’s defiently a harder hike with a steady incline. On Sunday not many were using the trail and it was cloudy so it was a great day to go. Only thing was you start getting into some steepness and straight rock climbing the last little bit. It was also crazy windy so just prepare for it. I’m sore now but I will do it again!

Real steep but doable. There is some scrambling near the end on some pretty exposed rock. Take your time on this one, the views are worth the hike.

Really fun scrambling up after the saddle, to the Peak. Not as hard as I was lead to believe. Totally worth the effort for the view!

Steep. Yes. Difficult. Yes. Just keep pushing and the views are totally worth it. There is a log book on top. The scramble scary part is only about 15ft the rest is much easier ish. Lol.

Awesome!

This is a pretty fun trail! It's more exposed than other long hikes (for example, Timp), so it's not as beautiful vegetation-wise, but there are some trees and the leaves have started to change, and there are of course some great views. My favorite part was the rock scramble at the top. The overall hike wasn't as hard as I expected. Although it's steeper than Timp, it's a lot shorter, so that makes it a little bit easier. I drank the last of my 2 liters just as I got to the bottom. It took us 3.5 hours up and 3 down, which I'd say is on the slow side for someone in decent hiking shape.

Great hike for those who want superb valley views while getting a definite workout. The trail is steep and mostly sun exposed so it's best to hike earlier in the morning during late spring to early fall. Take plenty of fluids with you and pace yourself. The last mile is the steepest part of the trail. The views on top are really good if you complete the final rock scramble to the top. Be careful as you ascend this section. The views from the saddle below the summit are still really good so don't feel badly if you stop there. I hike Mt. Olympus a lot so I generally go to the saddle only. This is one of the perfect hikes for a great workout with valley views.

Incredible hike this morning. Plenty of parking on a Friday morning at 6:00 AM. Been wanting to conquer this peak for years now but kept getting intimidated by the scrambling at the top and the elevation gain. Being a person who fears heights I never felt like I was in any real danger today. I recommend coming down the steep boulder sections by doing a “Butt scoot/crab walk.” I got down really quick by doing it this way. Sounds crazy but it worked out well and felt safer. Be sure to read the inspiring and also very funny words of wisdom from the mailbox at the top.

Great hike to challenge yourself if you are looking for something a but harder than most of the hikes around the area. Even if you don't decide to make the scramble to the peak, the saddle just below it is well worth the hike, beautiful. The last part is a bit sketchy but the peak is epic (be careful up there lots of loose rock).

rock climbing

One of the hardest climbs I’ve done. The hike is long. The last half mile is a vertical climb up boulders to the summit. Amazing views and a mailbox with journals so you can add your name and an entry, to the collection of others who conquered the mountain.

Definitely a struggle, but the view is worth it. My group started really early, and it took us about 9 hours to finish. 5 hours up, 4 hours down is usually the time. At the top you can see the whole valley, and can't stress enough how nice the view is.

I didn’t make it all the way up, super intense.

This trail is the real deal. A friend and I hiked it Saturday and it was intense.