Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

tuve la oportunidad de llegar hasta la punta, fue una gran experiencia, me gusto mucho, volveria a subir...

Amazing hike, crazy steep and unrelenting climb with few flatter areas but the views at the top were so worth it!

Hiked this with a group of 12 20-somethings on a Saturday from 7:30am-12:30pm round trip. The key for us: weather. The hike is difficult no doubt, but manageable for all of us across a range of athleticism. The boulder scramble at the top weeded out a few, but the view from the summit was WELL worth it. Crucially, though, the day we went was overcast and temps stayed between 75-85 with even a little drizzle on the way down; this felt perfect to us. If you want to make the hike a little easier, search for a day that’s gonna be overcast but not very rainy (rain makes the rocks at the top dangerous). Hard to find in UT summers, but makes a big difference.

I started at 9:30 AM and finished the round trip at around 2:00. It is definitely a good workout... I would recommend bringing a lot of water and leaving earlier in the day.

6 am start and had shade pretty much the whole way up. A lot of high-stepping on this hike, definitely works the quads and calves! For comparison, it’s MUCH more difficult than Lake Blanche.

With that being said, it’s definitely worth the summit! Spectacular views at the top.

4 start for the lack of shade, but if your hiking this trail, you know what it’s about before you start. It’s well worth the work.

I was aching to try this hike alone and see what kind of time I could get. I felt really good about my 2 hours and 12 minutes to the top. It took a good 3 days to recover but now I am itching to go back. So Amazing! Hard on the knees.

Intermediate to advanced hiker.

Started at just before 8am, got to the top in ~2.5 hours. Drank 40 fl oz of water. Mostly all shade at this time. Pretty intense hike given how short it is and how much elevation gained. The scramble isn't bad, short with lots of good footing and edges to leverage with hands.

Descending down was mostly not in the shade. It got hot fast. I missed how long it took me to get down but only had 25 fl oz left, wish I had more. I also wish I had started earlier to avoid more of the heat.

Lots of lose rocks coming down the scramble. From the saddle on, the path is narrow with lots of big enough rocks that you can't rush it much. Ran into a few rattle snakes. Some sections towards the last half of the hike descending that you can rush by running.

The views are great.

Mount Olympus was a great hike. Awesome views, good shade, and the top is amazing. I will say though that you should start very early and also don’t do this hike if you haven’t done a hike in a while. It is challenging and quite a work out, but still worth it.

I attempted Olympus a few years back with a friend of mine and stopped about halfway up the mountain due to joints acting up. I always wanted to try again but the opportunity didn't come until this week. My sister and I both had the 4th off, and we'd talked about hiking Olympus for awhile, so we finally went after it. We started on the trail just before 6 am and that allowed us to stay in relative shade for the vast majority of the hike. We did the first three miles in just under three hours. The last mile to the saddle took another two hours because the grade just becomes so incredibly steep and rocky at that point. The saddle is almost enough of a reward, but the summit is so close that it'd be a waste of your effort to not go up the scramble to the top. I'm no rock climber, but I have some pretty powerful legs, so the scramble wasn't physically challenging. But I have a terrible fear of heights, so that entire part of the ascent was a constant mental grind to keep going higher. We finally summited just after noon and felt accomplished. Then the descent began, and that's where my fear of heights really went bad. But we made it back to the saddle fine and headed down the trail. It was slow going due to the steepness. And I felt it pretty good in my knees. We were extremely conservative on our water use the whole time, but with temperatures hitting 98, we ran out with about two miles left on the most exposed portion of the trail, so those last two miles were perhaps more painful than the whole rest of the hike combined.

I'm glad I did it, but I will never be hiking this particular trail again. The steepness and the mental challenge against the heights on the scramble were rewarding, but a little too much for my taste. I recommend it to anyone with the stamina and the insanity to take this mountain on, but if you do it midsummer like we did, learn from our mistake and take way more water than you think you're going to need.

Happy trails.

I have neglected logging new hikes as I go. I hiked Mt. Olympus on Friday the 13th in Oct. All went well, but at times I felt like I was going to die. There are very few breaks on this trail. It was wonderful to hit the saddle and take in the views and catch my breath before finishing this one out. Hard but worth while hike.

Hoy tuve la oportunidad de subir hasta el final del camino, que muestra el app. Fué de mucha ayuda. El primer tramo fue algo difícil para mi. Pero el último tramo era más empinado, pero valió la pena.

Not going to lie, It was challenging. I would do it again, but I would time myself.

This trail kicked my butt. It's a steep hike with lots of elevation gain. It's been a while since I've had such a good work out. Definitely worth it to scramble up the rocks all the way to the top. I enjoyed it!

There are many less strenuous hikes with better views that are more rewarding. Glad to have done it for the bucket list, but can’t say I want to repeat that one any time soon.

Very challenging but super fun

We did this with our 7 and 9 year old boys who hike a lot. Took us about 6 hours total. The last 1.5 miles are definitely a quad workout (even more so than the first couple miles). The rock scramble at the top was a little unnerving with young kids but they did great.

I have lived in Utah for a little over 2 months now and have been itching to hit this trail since the beginning. Last Sunday a friend and I last minute decided to go for it. I will say 100% honestly that I hike multiple days of the week and this hike was easily one of the most difficult ones I've been on probably ever. we completed it round trip in about 6.5 hours. I clocked in well over 7.3 miles but what does technology know right. The scramble up on the last section was a ton of fun. Do yourself a favor and push through, no matter how many breaks you need to take you can totally do it. It's hard but its beyond worth it when you reach the top! A lot of the reviews say it's boring coming back down, but really your body is just kind of over it by then which is why I think that's why they feel that way, but the views along the entire trail are beautiful. 5 stars, put on your grippy hiking shoes, grab lots of water and some snacks and happy trails!!

Started at 1130 AM made it to the top and signed the mailbox notebooks by 217PM. It is mostly straight up with some leveling off at times. A few different terrains will be encountered, so wear hiking shoes with grip. The rocks on some points of the scramble after the saddle are slick but it was a lot of fun! The views were priceless. My roomate and I ran the majority of the way on our descent and it was very boring and painful on my knee which was operated on twice (ACL) bring snacks and lots of water. Today was the perfect day the temperatures weren’t bad and we had a nice breeze. PS. I’ve only lived in SLC Utah for 2 weeks, moved from Pennsylvania.

I’m a fly by the seat of my pants hiker that typically does trails that are above my expertise. This is no different. I went because my daughter was going to go on her own and I didn’t want her to be alone. However, this is a well traveled, yet narrow trail. Excellent cell reception for a majority of the trail. Had she been alone she would have been fine as long as you have basic self defense skills. The trail had several older gentlemen with walking poles that looked like they do this trail every darn day. Amazing as it’s not exactly smooth.
There are about three or four different types of terrain you will encounter and they’re all steep. Think skipping a step type steep. Which isn’t bad until you’ve been doing it repeatedly. Hiking shoes are highly recommended. Going up we went Mrs Butterworth slow because we knew this was an advanced trail. We were passed by folks that started 2.5 hours AFTER us. No shame in our game, we felt great. It was just very annoying that we couldn’t really see an end in sight and our phones were clocking longer mileage than is listed. We got 5 miles up and the same on the way back.
With no worries about time, no chip on your shoulder in terms of time, ample water and food to reward you at the top, this is doable. However you will need to bring a good attitude and sense of humor. Just read the reviews and know what your getting into. I am in decent shape/weight, with zero injuries and my feet and one knee was hurting me but only on the way down.
It prob took us about 5 hours up and three down. My daughters say they’ll do it again, I may take more convincing but it’s a good feather to have in your hiking hat :)

Let me put it this way: when I was a kid, I grew up in California, but would spend my summers in Utah with my grandparents. I loved every second of it.
However, one summer, my grandparents offered to drive me and my sister back to California, and we jumped at the chance. What could be better than spending an extra 10 hours with Grandma and Grandpa???
Short answer? Anything. Anything would have been better. It was the most painfully boring and excruciating drive of my life. I found myself pleading to God that our tires would blow and and we’d be spared a moment’s more torture by the sweet kiss of fiery, fiery death.
That’s how I describe hiking Mount Olympus: it seems like a lot of fun, but the way down is completely terrible. It’s boring. It’s steep. It’s really not fun in the slightest.

The views at the top are incredible, but honestly, not worth the monotony in my opinion. I’ve never disliked a hike as much as this one, which sucks, because the ascent is actually a lot of fun.

Bring lots of water. Enjoy the scramble at the top. Watch out for rattlesnakes (I nearly stepped on one), but be prepared for a ridiculously boring descent.

Long shot, but I left my trekking poles at the saddle before the scramble on 6/29. They are telescoping Black Diamond with metal and red trim. A crisp $20 reward if you happened to grab them. E-mail quiet451(at)gmail.com. Thanks!! I love those poles!!

Nice steep hike. We got down to the parking lot at 4am started at 7pm made it to the top in 3:30 and 4:00 (my friend burned up the last push to the saddle and top, I took a steadier pace) we had some difficulty in the descent in the dark. We were equipped with lights but in the forested area took a few ventures off the actual trail. Saw some snakes and a scorpion but they weren’t too interested in us.

Commit! It’s so Beautiful! I’ve been looking at these peaks for months and today 6/23/18, the wife & I made it all the way up to the “mailbox”. It was worth every step of the way.. also look out for rattle snakes, we spotted a couple on east-side of the peak.

Those views though. Wow. Worth the climb for sure. Hardest hike I’ve done to date but definitely a beautiful one. Steady climbs the whole way and some scrambling at the end. The last two miles were the kicker for me, my feet were done and it was hot. Start early. I’ll do it again but not until fall once the colors show up. Super proud of this one.

We hit the trail just after six and finished around 11:30, we did stay at the saddle and summit for a bit. It’s a steep and challenging hike and some fun rock climbing at the end. The view is wonderful. Don’t miss the mailbox at the peak where you can sign the notebook. I would do this again, in a year or so

First time hiking this trail—a bucket list item for me! It was definitely one of the hardest hikes I have ever done but I am so glad I did it. The view from the top is spectacular—worth every second of the hard work!

First off DO NOT GO NORTH aka left when you get up the initial wood steps. You'll waste a frustrating hour plus of your time on a 1 foot wide trail that only goes to some houses and a private property sign following the noisy freeway the whole time, so much for a nature walk. Now if you continue up Eastish up the rocks you'll be on the main trail.

There's a great view waiting for you there. At the initial point there's another trail heading South that must be the other moderate Mt Olympus trail on this app. Idk.