Mount Olympus Trail

Mount Olympus Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

Tough hike, bring at least 3 liters of water and start as early as possible. The views at the top are hard to beat.

I loved this hike! It's a butt burner for sure, after the stream it gets EVEN STEEPER so be aware there isn't a lot of relief from relentless climbing. That said, if you have good baseline fitness, this will be a good challenge but totally doable. We wished we had poles for the descent, and both me at 40 and my sister-in-law who is 30 could feel it in our knees by halfway down. The scramble at the top is no joke, you need to be comfortable on rocks, but again, if you have much experience hiking, it will not seem crazy hard. We got on the trail at 5:30 am and avoided the intense heat, it's pretty exposed for the first half so I would recommend getting there early. Like everyone says, bring plenty of water and snacks!

I won't lie! TOUGH!!! But worth it. Start as early as possible - NOT AT NOON!!!!! Lots of water, hat, sunscreen, GLOVES (as suggested by another hiker below) & maybe poles (take just in case for descent) PLEASE don't take your dog. I left mine at home & found coming down, the trail was emmitting such immense heat that I was glad about the decision.

When you do the scramble, near the top you will come to a dead tree/log, go to the right. Then, at the next fork you really need to go left. The right takes you to the west side which, I was told, does not get you to the top. At least, ask people as you go up for the detail.

Absolutely one of my top 3 hikes in the valley! With about 4200' elevation gain, it's a very steep hike. Although, it is totally worth it because the views along the way are great and the view from the peak is unmatched! I would highly recommend doing this for sunrise. We started at 5:15am which kept the sun off us for the whole hike and we finished it at 9, before it got too hot.

The scramble to the peak is worth the view! A great climb.

Challenging, so expect a workout.
The view is an amazing 360 you can't capture with a camera.
Left at 8:30 am but sooner would have been better to avoid some heat.
Bring lots of water

awesome hike with a great view

Excellent hike. Summit Mr Olympus by mid-late May will setup the rest of the Spring-Summer months

Easily the hardest, most grueling trail I've ever hiked! It's pretty much straight up through large rocks, loose gravel and thick brush from the very start. And just when you think you have reached the top and can go no further, yep, a vertical rock face to reach the summit. Saying the hiking part SUCKED would be an understatement. The only redeeming part of this trek is the view from the top. Amazing!! But then there's the downhill part of the program. It's just as painful as the climb. Bring tons of water!! I ran dry at the summit (carried 2 liters) and was thoroughly dehydrated by the time I reached my car.

This hike is tough!!! But it is easily one of my favorite hikes. The view from the top and the feeling of accomplishment are well worth the effort it takes to get there. Don't be afraid to take a lot of breaks. Drink a lot of water. Bring snacks. The downhill is almost as grueling as the uphill! But make sure to give hope and encouragement to all those coming up as you go down :)

Hated this hike! It is very difficult, but it is not even beautiful until you reach the top! Bring a TON of water and be prepared for basically a straight uphill climb the entire. I love hiking Mt. Timp, I hated this hike, harder than Timp in my opinion and much less beautiful. Plenty of other challenging hikes with much more beautiful surroundings...don't waste your time unless you just want an extreme workout!!

This is a great, tough hike. It's important that people understand that the scramble is not for the faint of heart. I never felt in danger but it is one of the more difficult scrambles I have ever done. It takes longer than what most people think. We saw people heading up at like 3:30pm and due to the steepness of the hike it takes longer than you think.

It rained on the day we went and if it rains coming down is very slippery. My buddy went down three times and I went down like 6 times. It slowed us down a lot.

Loved it, will do it again, now I just know better what to expect.

Being from PA, this was quite a hike. Take your time, especially with the scramble at the top, and there shouldn't be too many problems. The view is absolutely amazing

Definitely difficult and kills the legs but the view is immaculate. Best if you start this early morning as you will be exposed to the hot sun later in the day. Make sure to bring LOTS of hydration and get ready to do some fun scrambling at the end!