Mount Olympus Trail

HARD 1,005 reviews

Mount Olympus Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Climb 4,000 feet on this great trail to fantastic views over the Wasatch Valley and Salt Lake City. This is a steep, Class 3, climb up 4,000 to the top of a peak with great views over Salt Lake City and the surrounding Wasatch Mountains. You will be surprised at how abruptly you leave the bustling city below and find yourself high in an alpine environment. This is a good peak for budding mountaineers to start with.

4 minutes ago

Steep. Yes. Difficult. Yes. Just keep pushing and the views are totally worth it. There is a log book on top. The scramble scary part is only about 15ft the rest is much easier ish. Lol.

Awesome!

This is a pretty fun trail! It's more exposed than other long hikes (for example, Timp), so it's not as beautiful vegetation-wise, but there are some trees and the leaves have started to change, and there are of course some great views. My favorite part was the rock scramble at the top. The overall hike wasn't as hard as I expected. Although it's steeper than Timp, it's a lot shorter, so that makes it a little bit easier. I drank the last of my 2 liters just as I got to the bottom. It took us 3.5 hours up and 3 down, which I'd say is on the slow side for someone in decent hiking shape.

Great hike for those who want superb valley views while getting a definite workout. The trail is steep and mostly sun exposed so it's best to hike earlier in the morning during late spring to early fall. Take plenty of fluids with you and pace yourself. The last mile is the steepest part of the trail. The views on top are really good if you complete the final rock scramble to the top. Be careful as you ascend this section. The views from the saddle below the summit are still really good so don't feel badly if you stop there. I hike Mt. Olympus a lot so I generally go to the saddle only. This is one of the perfect hikes for a great workout with valley views.

Incredible hike this morning. Plenty of parking on a Friday morning at 6:00 AM. Been wanting to conquer this peak for years now but kept getting intimidated by the scrambling at the top and the elevation gain. Being a person who fears heights I never felt like I was in any real danger today. I recommend coming down the steep boulder sections by doing a “Butt scoot/crab walk.” I got down really quick by doing it this way. Sounds crazy but it worked out well and felt safer. Be sure to read the inspiring and also very funny words of wisdom from the mailbox at the top.

Great hike to challenge yourself if you are looking for something a but harder than most of the hikes around the area. Even if you don't decide to make the scramble to the peak, the saddle just below it is well worth the hike, beautiful. The last part is a bit sketchy but the peak is epic (be careful up there lots of loose rock).

rock climbing

One of the hardest climbs I’ve done. The hike is long. The last half mile is a vertical climb up boulders to the summit. Amazing views and a mailbox with journals so you can add your name and an entry, to the collection of others who conquered the mountain.

Definitely a struggle, but the view is worth it. My group started really early, and it took us about 9 hours to finish. 5 hours up, 4 hours down is usually the time. At the top you can see the whole valley, and can't stress enough how nice the view is.

I didn’t make it all the way up, super intense.

This trail is the real deal. A friend and I hiked it Saturday and it was intense.

I couldn't walk for 2 weeks but the view was great!

Great trail, but if you have bad knees don’t do it. Check it off the list once is enough.

if I could be in a steady relationship with a mountain...I would.

Yes this is a hard hike take at least 2lt water. You will be on the trail for around 5 hours

Hardest run/ hike I ever did. I made it to the top after a very tough hike up. I ran out of water before I made it up and a thunderstorm came In out of no where. I lost day light and went down the wrong side of the mountain. I jump down cliff to cliff in the dark and stepped on a rattle snake I fell several times stumbling down before bunkering down for help. This mountain needs to be respected. It can be dangerous. But ultimately great and beautiful. Would do it again and plan on it. Just make sure you have like 5 hours minimum and plenty of water 2 liters is not enough. Really hard super tough incline.

A great trail until you get passed the small stream, then whoever built the trail after that was probably high on drugs, it just goes straight up until the top, a bit of switchbacks would’ve been nice. Also don’t hike this in the summer during the middle of the day, the sun’ell getcha

Two thumbs up, although the uphill section may cause you to scream at times. I’m sure the views are stupefying but there was too much smoke in the valley so I couldn’t see jack squat. Just pump yourself up with some good tunes before your ascent and you’ll make it to the top.

Do not be intimidated by this mountain. I've been in salt lake for a month from chicago (where it's all flat believe it or not) after reading the reviews I decided to put this trail off day after day. this mountain has been staring at me through my living room window since I got here. i went up in 2:45 and down in 1:50 . the scramble is not that hard just take it step by step and look around for the best route. I have a pretty bad fear of heights but did not feel unstable for a moment on this trail. I didn't run into any rattle snakes most likely due to an early start (5:30), 50 degree weather and rainfall the day before. get out there and hike this mountain, it sure looks good from an apartment window but even better from the peak.

Always a humbling hike.

Took me a lot longer to get up than I thought it would, amazing views, difficult but completely worth doing if you are prepared and bring plenty of water!

Decided to finally hike Mt. Olympus again as it had been over 20 years when I did it as a teenager. I got off to a rough start as I didn't see the trail going up at the rock at the bottom of the trail and followed the Porter Rockwell Trail for a half mile before realizing I wasn't actually on the trail for Mt. Olympus. Going up is a grind with very little breaks in incline till the saddle. Bouldering up was hard, but manageable. The views were amazing. I did run into a rattlesnake on the trail halfway down. I gave it plenty of distance and walked around the rock it was half hiding under. Overall a great, but difficult hike!

Amazing hike! Started around 7:30am and made it to the top around 10:30am, taking about a 20 minute break. It had rained the night before, so the weather on the way up was wonderful. Also starting early in the morning made it so the majority of the hike on the way up was all in the shade. There is also good shade coverage from trees the higher you climb. Definitely steep, especially near the top-you end up doing more bouldering than actual hiking. The view at the top is worth it! Ran most of the way back down, legs were very shaky at the bottom and stepping onto the road asphalt felt like walking on a soft cushion after the trail running. Didn’t drink as much water as I thought -not quite 2L and I still felt very hydrated. Definitely a hike to check off your list!

great hike awesome views

great view from top. so close to reach from town.

They say it's hard. How hard can it be, you think? They're not lying - it's HARD. To the saddle it gets hard-steep but not hard-technical about 2.5 mi in, where for the next 0.6 mi you climb 1,000 ft and it's RELENTLESS. You go up rocks (imagine the rocks in a mountain stream) rather than a dirt trail. It definitely gets your heart rate up and your legs wobbly. It would be ok up to the saddle with a kid but challenging: a lot of times you have to step up higher than adult-knee high so for a kid it would be very tiring.
Once you get to the saddle, the way up to the summit is 500 ft up in 0.4 miles, and very technical. I would think twice about taking a kid there, or even someone who is not very sure-footed or who is scared of heights. Look in the photos for a picture by Christine Cote that looks straight up: that's the way you're going. You really have to look for footholds at every step. Going down is equally challenging.

Once you get to the summit though, you're on top of the world. No picture can do justice to the view there. You just don't want to leave.

Note that mid-August the streams were dry; no point in bringing a filter. Just bring plenty of water; I went through 2 L and ran out with about 1.5 mile to go.

1:56 ascent not stopping and at a solid pace, 1:36 descent jogging at times.

My 2nd Summit! Amazing experience. Took me several attempts, but this Mountain helped prep me for much more to come … ! :-) _/|\_

The hike for me(18 years old) took 5 hours from parking lot to parking lot. absolutely breathtaking view and really feels accomplishing! Easy trail to follow. Make sure you write something and put in the mailbox at the peak!

Did this a little under prepared and on a whim. Don’t recommend that! The first 300 yards is very steep and let’s you know you’re in for a day of it. We hiked to the saddle , roughly 500 feet below the summit. That was probably enough (we started at 4800 ft, and the summit is 9100), but being so close we finished the hike. The hike past the saddle to the summit is a bit more like rock climbing than hiking. Tough but fun.

I’m 52 yo and in decent shape but it was a challenge. My comments? Plenty of water (it was 96 degrees the days we hiked it), leave early (we didn’t start until 0930, too late), and be prepared for an all day event. It took us almost 5.5 hours to do the 7.5+ miles. The view is worth it. And sign the book st the top. Last thing, rattle snakes seen on our trip near the summit.

What a climb! 4.5hrs round trip for my pup and I (saddle and back). Start early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Constant uphill with limited shade.
Heard from multiple hikers that the scramble to the peak is a bit sketchy, so we were satisfied with the saddle views (roughly 3.4miles up to get there)

I wanted to cry so bad at the end. My feet were blistering and you cannot stop on the trail for a long time without the flies being overwhelmed by your presence. The view was totally worth it and the hard work made the apple I had the juiciest, most delicious apple ever!