Mount Aire Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,945 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail climbs steeply the entire way. The summit is really a long ridge and have view of parts of Salt Lake city, Parley's Canyon, Lambs Canyon and of course Mill Creek Canyon where the trail starts. Note: If you want to hike this trail prior to July 1st you have to either walk up the road (adding 3 miles roundtrip) or take the pipeline trail - gate at Maple Grove closes in the winter.

Still some wildflowers on the trail. It took me around 2 hours top to bottom. I would guess it’s more like 4 miles instead of 3. A good, steep, hike

I was nervous about how steep this is per the stats, but I think the trail is maybe just a tad little longer than advertised, so it's closer to the 1000ft/mile grade. If you can do Mount Wire on one of the trailheads coming up from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, you can do this. The trail actually gets easier from the saddle, because the switchbacks don't have any crazy steep parts. An early start means some peaceful solitude on the expansive peak, with nice cool breezes.

Super steep the entire way. I was happy to call it good when I reached saddle, not knowing if that was the end or not. Apparently it wasn’t! Still spectacular views from the saddle.

Steeper than I was expecting. Somewhat overgrown and very little shade at the switchbacks above the saddle. That said, it’s a nice view from the top. Decent short hike if you’re in the area.

Little overgrown. Wish I wore pants instead of shorts but the scratches on my legs were worth it for the views. My dog and I had a wonderful time.

Hiked this in the late afternoon August 2. Elevation gain was a little under 1900’ in under 2 miles. It’s a pretty good bit of climbing the entire time. I completed it in around 1hr 45min. Great hike to do on a whim or the late afternoon in the summer. Took about a little over an hour to reach the top at an ok pace. Very little exposure with forest most of the way! Sunscreen not really required. Some slippery parts on the way down. Bring good soles. A little over grown but I didn’t get any ticks on me.

Hiked this with my 10 year old 22 pound terrier, today. We got a late start so left around 11:30 from the trailhead and arrived back at the car by 3:30. It was very shaded in the beginning and sufficiently throughout such that the Sun wasn't terrible at mid day. Temperatures in The Valley were up to a 100 but not on mount aire :). The meadows and patches of forest are numerous and wonderous. It's like hiking through a series of frames, one scene at a time, the changing flora and fauna was delightful. The trail followed a small Creek, and up to about 2/3 of the way up the mountain it was still flowing, but then abruptly stopped, much to my dog's dismay. The ascent is rather steep for long stretches so be respectful of that "difficult" rating. The trail went dry and rocky after the Ridge below the peak (mount aire is to your right when you're cresting the ridge where you can finally see into the salt lake valley). Also the trail is quite narrow in many sections. Recommend hiking shoes/padding for your dogs as my Goldie Was a little worse for wear after that section and up to the peak. Rewarding views all the way to the top and around/ along the upper ridge. (I mean, it's not really a peak if more a high point on a high ridge). 3 bucks at the canyon gate on the way out seems a pittance to pay ;). Would do again, 100%.

Gorgeous wildflowers! Amazing views into Lamb’s canyon, Parley’s, and Salt Lake Valley.

Difficult, but view from top is worth it. hard switch hacks at the very end.

recorded Mount Aire Trail

My new favorite trail! It’s uphill the whole way so it’s definitely a challenge. Super green and lush with a mix of shade and sunny parts. The wildflowers are gorgeous and make for some very picturesque scenery. The view is incredible at the end! Highly recommend.

I loved this hike. Good workout & beautiful views. Trail has beautiful wildflowers almost the whole way, lots of shade as well. Was not crowded at all. Didn’t see people until I was at the top & they were coming down. Saw a total of maybe 15 people the whole hike. Started at 7:20 am & reached the top at 8:30. Left the summit at 8:45 & got down about 9:20.

Beautiful hike! Lots of different types of wildflowers blooming the entire way. There’s a lot of elevation gain and this is a shorter hike, meaning it is Steep. We took our time, stopping to take photos and enjoy the view from the top, and it took 2 1/2 hours round trip. We saw a huge rattlesnake, but it had already crossed the path and was heading up into the trees. This is an excellent hike!

We headed up the trail at 6am with some long sleeve, light jackets on, hiking up and up, mostly in shade. At around 7am we were ready to take the jackets off! Amazing views at the top, Parleys Canyon, Dell Reservoir, Emigration Canyon, SL Valley, Kennecott Copper Mine, Great Salt Lake, many peaks and everything in between. 2+ miles up, 2,000ft elevation. Great intermediate hike, take lots of water, bear spray, sturdy shoes, hat and plan on 3 hours minimum. Parking and pit toilet at the trailhead.

great steep trail with solid views the last mile after some wildflowers and Creek hiking to start

Fantastic climb to the peak with spectacular views the entire last 3rd. There is a progressive pallet of wildflowers popping the entire trail. Some patches of mud but nothing to contend with. Tracked 4.3 miles RT. Great workout!

Hiked this trail today. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and it was pretty shady throughout which was awesome. Steep but short. Got there at about 11am and finished by 1pm with a stop at the top to enjoy the views. Kinda muddy so I'm glad I brought a towel to put over the back seat of my car for my dog. Overall great hike.

Great trail for a good workout. Steep and a leg burner for sure but not too long. Took about 45 min on the way down and about 1 hr 15 min up. Great views along the way and good amount of wildflowers.

Short but steep. Great views.

Fun hike. Steep in some parts but not too long. Hiked it with my pooch on the first day the gate opened. Decently buggy at the top so use some bug spray.

A good workout. Mill creek gate is still closed, so count on either hiking the Pipeline trail to the Mt. Aire TH or just walking up the road—which is what I did. Started at 9:00 am on the 6/10, was back at the car by noon. Definitely muddy, so count on getting dirty, but follows water most of the way, and if pretty shaded until you get to the saddle. From the saddle on, things were pretty toasty. Views are pretty good, but the noise from I-80 is a bit annoying.

Road closed until July (per sign), so as others have said, expect to walk 1.5 miles past the gate on the road before you get to the trailhead. The first half or more of the trail winds through forest and steady incline. The trail is washed out and muddy with a little creek as the snow is still melting, but only a few small patches of snow on the entire trail right now. Near the top the views are really nice. Lots of horned toads out scurrying around, so watch your step. Had a snack on the summit before a storm from the west chased me down. Great hike if you want to do it all in a few hours.

The trail is in pretty rough condition to the saddle. Be prepared for snow, mud, and running water. Once to the saddle you will find the trail dry and easy until you hit a small patch of leftover peak snowpack.