Mount Aire Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,945 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: If you want to hike this trail prior to July 1st you have to either walk up the road (adding 3 miles roundtrip) or take the pipeline trail - gate at Maple Grove closes in the winter. The trail climbs steeply the entire way. The summit is really a long ridge and have view of parts of Salt Lake city, Parley's Canyon, Lambs Canyon and of course Mill Creek Canyon where the trail starts.

So beautiful, including the walk up and down the road to the trailhead. The incline definitely made this a hard hike for me, but I took my time and took breaks and the views were so worth it! As of 5/16/20, there were only two small wet patches. The rest of the hike was completely dry. I brought hiking poles for mud and didn’t need them

This was a beautiful uphill hike. I recommend getting to the parking gate early! I got there mid morning and the parking was full so I had to park a bit of a ways down. That added a 1 1/2 miles of hiking up the road to the trail head. Round trip was 7.50 miles. The hike up the road is easy, lots of dogs. Once you actually get on the trail it’s a slow steady incline. There are some steep parts so just take your time. This hike is not hard, it’s a moderate hike that requires endurance. You could take a small child but I wouldn’t. The views from the top are spectacular. There are a ton of wildflowers blooming currently. I was greeted by a hornedtoad lizard at the top. Enjoy your trek! I’ll definitely be doing this hike again!

A little muddy right below the saddle, but otherwise nice dry trail. Still have to walk up the road to the trailhead - gate will open June 1st.

Grade is sustained, bring water! Please go through the center of the trail even if it's muddy - help prevent erosion and the creation of social trails.

Gate to road that leads to trailhead is still closed. Trail itself has great views and the stream is pretty relaxing. There is a lot of mud and some patches of snow/ice. Will have to climb over some downed trees. Otherwise it’s very peaceful.

flooded

We hiked it yesterday and the trail was sloppy and muddy most of the way. Once you get to the saddle it is dry the rest of the way up.

Some snow/mud in middle section of trail but didn’t need spikes. Not too much mud on the way up at about 10 am. Very muddy later in the afternoon. No snow and completely dry last half mile or so of trail. Road adds 3 miles round trip but road was almost entirely clear of snow. Beautiful hike!!

icy

Snow still covers 99% of the trail. The snow was very firm in the morning before 10:00am.

Plenty of snow but I made it to the top with just microspikes. There are a few spots with trees or tree branches on the trail, but they're easy enough to get around.

Today was my first time on this beautiful trail! Knee deep snow in some parts. We had spikes on our snow boots, I don’t think you can hike this in the snow without spikes. Also, add an extra 1.25 (mile) each way to hike in from the gate to the trail head. Views were incredible!

Great hike! 10/2019 We started at about 9am there was a little snow from a previous storm earlier in the week which made the first half of the hike muddy on the way down. But the earlier you start the trail was a little frozen so it's definitely better to get an early start. Great views at the top and it is uphill pretty much the entire way. Fewer people earlier and more showed up as we took in the view from the top. Overall an awesome hike and I could see myself doing it again in the future.

The leaves were beautiful. Perfect out and back with my dog. We even saw a moose just off the trail. A little steep at times but so worth it. Started at 9am and only saw two others on the trail.

Nice uphill climb, quiet and serene, lot of people. Wear pants, bring jacket, water and snacks.

Steep but pretty. ALSO: I GOT MY CAR BROKEN INTO AT THIS TRAILHEAD. BEWARE. Lock busted, 3 credit cards stolen. If anyone else was here 9/15 from 12-4pm, check and make sure you didn’t have anything stolen.

Someone tried to break into my car. Busted lock, but door remained locked. Kind of wish I left it unlocked because $350 to replace lock vs an old sleeping bag the person could have had! Trail is ok. Probably nicer now with aspen on the opposite mountainside. Somewhat steep. Most people use it for training. Recent pics: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/09/29/hikes-in-mill-creek-canyon/