Mormon Pioneer Trail is a 18.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

I did the entire 18+ mile round-trip today from the trailhead close to the reservoir to Mormon Flats. The weather was great, a little cool early but that's better than too hot. I saw several deer and three of them bounded across the trail about 20 feet in front of me. If one of those animals hits you you're in trouble. The trail is very rocky but well marked and well traveled, there is no way you'll get lost. As for Alltrail's directions to the trailhead, you're on your own. It costs to park at the reservoir trailhead at the day-use area, but Alltrail doesn't mention that or where the day-use area for the reservoir is located or how to get to it. If all else fails just drive Highway 65 and look for the parking lot and fee booth above the reservoir. If you want a slightly shorter hike, drive on and look for trailhead markers along the highway. Eventually you'll see one for the Mormon Pioneer trail. The elevation gain of 3000 feet is well distributed over the length of the trail so it's manageable. I went all the way to Mormon Flats and tried to imagine what it was like to have been camped there in 1847. Why are there no markers for Fort Wells? As for bikers, several passed me in either direction and only one yielded to me. The rest slowed but made it plain by their actions that I was going to get hit if I didn't get out of the way. If you're a biker, please obey the rules.

We started at the trail head up top by cell towers and hiked down to Mormon Flats. It was about 4 1/2 miles, nice gentle downhill hike. We left a car at the bottom. Beautiful hike with fall colors starting to come out. Fun that this was a Pony Express route, trail of the Donner Party, and the first Mormon Pioneers. It was a lovely hike!

For the love of all that is holy, follow the TRAIL markers, NOT the map that All Trails gives you! This was my first time using the app as my map and guide. When I came to the first fork in the road starting from Dell Reservoir, the All Trails map tells you to go right on the larger road while there is a small trail marker indicating the left trail. I’ll give you a hint - don’t go right. If the trail starts to get really narrow and somewhat overgrown, if you’ve crossed a bridge right at the beginning, you’re on the wrong trail. I met a lost hiker up there, too.
Anyways, once I finally figured it out and biked back to the beginning, it was much better! It’s a steady climb up from the reservoir, but the ride down is super fun! I didn’t see any hikers, just bikers. I went up past the road and bathroom, continued on the other side up until a little ways past the campground. The road is close and you can always hear cars, but still fun.

Beautiful trail...lots of wildflowers but apparently there are some who don't care it's a watershed area. Crossed paths with a couple with TWO dogs.
Will be back to this trail. Awesome!

This is an amazing fall hike. Beware of bikers, they will run you over... Personally, I wouldn't rate this trail as moderate because it's not that difficult. It's not a flat walk, but it's also not a hard hike at all.

Lots of bikers. Easily 15+ bikes on a 2 mile round trip trail. Not awesome with a 6 and 8 year old in tow.

We started the trail where it crosses over the road from the west side to the east side (there is a small bathroom and sign saying “Mormon Pioneer Trail”). Gorgeous trail! How is it possible that being a descendant of Mormon pioneers I have never been on this trail? Loved the beauty and history in every step. We hiked to Little Dell Reservoir which was the most gorgeous teal blue today. Great for the whole family. Maybe 3.5 miles round trip.

Not super hard. It’s a good trail for hiking alone, lots of wildlife, and peace and quiet. I ended up walking the road until it intersects with the trail, and then took the trail back, so I made it a loop. I loved this trail! I’m sure it will be less dead and more green in a few months.

Gradual hike and deep green foliage along creek. I can’t imagine Mormons not flocking here to experience this historic hike.

Challenging hike today, needing several types of footware; boots, spikes, and snowshoes. Ice at the trailhead transitioning to deeper snow. Great trail for a great winter workout.

easy, but gorgeous hike, especially in fall!

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Beautiful hike in fall the colors are so vibrant esp when the sun shines... Apparently no dogs allowed as it's watershed, I wasn't aware of it -
Will definitely do it again in winter snow shoeing...

Saturday, August 12, 2017

We started at the Resevor, which is level, As you continue up the trail it becomes a steady incline. We stopped at the road before the switchbacks, which is a difficult climb. The ride down is fun, we had some riders come up the Hwy and turn in to go down the trail. We passed 2 riders on the trail, which is good, because coming down at speed on a narrow path with vegetation blocking much of a view means not running into hikers or riders coming up the trail.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Walked from Affleck Park down to Little Dell Reservoir. This is roughly 2.4 miles on a gradual downhill slope. It had rained this morning and our evening hike was cool and fresh. The trails winds through oak and maple forests along Dell Creek with occasional stands of tall cottonwoods. This is a very good quick getaway from the city. Several put-in points allows you to tailor the length of your hike along this trail.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Started at the top of the road and road down with my family and picked up at the bottom. Fun ride

Tuesday, October 31, 2017