Moonshine Arch is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Vernal, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Moonshine Arch is a short walk into a sandstone ridge just north of Vernal. Look out for mile marker #359. There will be a dirt road to your left. If you drive about 3/4 of a mile, there will be signs directing you to the hiking area. Look out for green gates. That is where you can park and the trail begins.

Great beginning trail with lots of beauty.

This was a great trail to do with my kids. My only complaint is the lack of direction signs to get there. We got lost finding the trailhead but had a blast once we found it

Great hike that’s easy with children (we had 12, 9, 7 year olds hike with us). It was rather difficult to find the trailhead. Google maps lets us to private property that obviously we weren’t able to go through. Did not try and use the All Trails GPS and maybe that would have helped. Chuck Sun’s post helped immensely here is that info reposted that helped us so much in finding the trail head: https://www.dinoland.com/wp-content/themes/dinoland/pdf/day-trip-12.pdf Sometimes it seemed we might be going the wrong way bc it’s poorly marked but just keep going and follow that pdf info!

To find this trail from the north, drive south of Red Fleet state park (which has good picnic area) toward Steinecker SP, and when you see sign “State Park ahead,” immediately turn right, which is at a distinct curve in road. Coming from south, it is slightly less than one mile from Steinecker. On the dirt/gravel road, cross wash and ignore first dirt road to left but take second wider clay road to left. If you go straight, it ends in private OHV property. There is no sign to Moonshine Arch until a bit down this road. Parking area is clearly marked. Walk to the right through the fence/gate; there is a path through sagebrush to right that connects with road/trail, but the directions indicate following trail and then turning right, which is signed. There is significant steepness on the trail. Hiking poles and good shoes warranted. Definitely water as shade is limited. It would be super helpful to have cairns marking trail as there are less steep options along the way. OHV were on the trail and could park at the arch itself. It is well worth it to see the arch, which is only visible when right there. Vernal’s Field Museum and visitor center has excellent brochures and maps for this and other hikes. The Dinosaur trackway associated with Red Fleet SP is nearby; for it, avoid the main entrance and instead turn east at the Simplot sign north of main entrance.

Good trail. Some steep areas, and lots of sand. If you play Pokémon go there is one stop and most spawns are near the stop.

Loved this trial! I went with my dog and it was beautiful! Not too hard and the trail was clear once you find the Moonshine Arch Sign.

Did this with the family. Great little hike. it's sad to see so much graffiti. Had a great time. There are no signs so it's easy to get lost and take a long way around. Wouldn't take a low clearance car in.

Did this today with my husband and 7 year old son. I am 6 months pregnant! Very easy some steep spots had to stop to catch my breathe definitely wear good shoes the ground on the trail goes from soft and sandy to straight rock then some with lose sand over rock making it kinda slick from the dirt!! Beautiful can’t wait to do it again after I’m done giving birth!

This was incredible! It is for sure hard to find - never would have found it without the pdf referenced by someone else. It is easy, but there are just hardly any signs so you think you’re always going the wrong way.

There are absolutely no signs indicating the trailhead to Moonshine Arch (even though a brochure I had said there are signs pointing the way). You must use the GSP on AllTrails otherwise you will not find you way.

Tengo una pregunta, hay 2 caminos para llegar a Moonshine Arch? 1- llegar a la milla 359 de la ruta 191 y tomar un sendero a la izquierda. Hasta donde es posible llegar por el sendero en un auto común? 2- ruta 191-ruta 301-Moonshine Arch rd Cual es el recomendable?

Thank you, Chuck Sun, for posting the pdf brochure of how to find this trail. It wasn't my favorite hike. I'm not a fan of hiking trails that double as roads. I'm also not a fan of hiking on sand. Both features earned this trail a 1 or 2 star. However, the arch was pretty cool and my kids explored for quite some time. Overall, it's worth a visit but I certainly wouldn't frequent this trail.

This was a difficult place to find. Short trail. Not very well marked. Beautiful views once you get there. Definitely recommend it.

Awesome little arch in a beautiful area. The local tourism office has created a brochure with detailed info on getting there: https://www.dinoland.com/wp-content/themes/dinoland/pdf/day-trip-12.pdf The hike is relatively easy, though there are a few steep / loose / rocky sections. Driving to the arch would require some skills and a slightly modified 4x4. I drove about halfway without much trouble, and I could have gone farther, but I didn't want to freak out the other hikers. Toward the end, I did come across one obstacle that might've been a problem. It's a huge rock dead center of the track that would be a rear diff killer, and there's no way to avoid it. It was kinda' hard to tell, but you might clear it with ~35" tires. Or you could always park on the slab of rock, and the remaining walk to the arch wasn't far.

Trail is hard to follow but somehow we got to the arch (I hope it's the same one). The arch is really cool and some rocks and caves to explore too. Very easy hike and can be short but not much shade though.

Route d'accès pas indiquée et attention le sentier est un petit labyrinthe. On découvre l'arche au dernier moment. Et surtout personne. Malheureusement la météo était plutôt sombre. A faire pour cette découverte.

Extremely hard to find since there are no signs. Hike isn't bad at all. It is rocky and sandy, both for driving and hiking. Wasn't a very long hike, but for those who don't hike a lot, a great workout. I don't feel like you need a truck to get there, I drove my little metro and it was just fine. Posting Pics so maybe it will help others find it better.

Follow previous reviews to get there. Easy trail and no one was on it so we had it to ourselves. Definitely worth the hike!!

Short hike to really cool arch! Follow directions and map as trail is tough to locate.

The reviews have excellent directions ! Especially the details from Sarah Crawford. All Trails showed the out and back at 2.9 miles. I tracked it on Strava at 1.6 total miles. A bit disappointing that it was shorter. The trail is full sun, light traffic and only walkers/hikers only. This trail is mostly soft sand. We loved the turnaround it was better then expected. Leashed dogs are ok.

definately worth the hike, i found it easily from following google sat maps, and alltrails map was simple for me. theres not much shade and its sandy and alot of uphill on the way. but its worth seeing for sure. use common sense, take water and dont over do it!!

One of our families favorites! Short hike. Can be hot so morning, evening, or cloudy day is advised. Becoming a busy trail.

Hard to find but very worth it. Lots of green gates so just be careful you don’t end up on private property on accident looking for the trailhead.

Difficult to find from the road! I uploaded a photo of a trail map for reference. Google maps takes you the wrong way. Look for mile post #359 and the correct turn off is nearby. You’ll know if it’s the correct turn if you go down the road a few feet and see a black “land for sale” sign. It’s a narrow dirt/gravel road that turns into a sandy road and eventually you hit a greenish gate and park your car off to the side. The trail itself is sandy as well and forks a few times. When starting, the trail goes right and left from the gate, go left down and up the little valley. Keep on the sand and take rights at both forks in the trail. Also, there was a rattlesnake in the brush by the trail near the beginning today so make sure to be aware of your surroundings. The views were beautiful and worth the short trek in the sun!

After my third attempt to find this hike since there are not signs to arrive here (do not believe in the route your GPS gives you), it is worth