Monte Cristo via Cardiff Pass Trail

Monte Cristo via Cardiff Pass Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,477 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Long and hard. Steep. Lots of scramble. But so beautiful. Not for the casual hiker. Too much for me, honestly. But I gutted it out and I’m glad I did.

I found it very difficult to follow this trail and had to back-track numerous times (definitely would recommend NOT following my recording). I didn’t make it up quite up to the peak of Monte Cristo as I wasn’t expecting to have to partake in such intense scrambling. I attempted scrambling for a little bit but started to get worried about how I would get back down, so I turned around. The views are very beautiful, but I don’t think I would do this trail again because of the difficulties I described. I have done many other trails with breathtaking views that were much more smooth sailing and, therefore, much more enjoyable.

Nice short hike. Got an early start and nobody was on the trail until I was heading back. The trail is easy to follow compared to other hikes. Stay high and to the right as you start the summit ascent but if you're concerned use gps, it worked great!

This was the monte Cristo via Cardiff pass trail

Amazing views. Trail is great until the ridge and then it is poorly marked and hard to follow. I recommend gloves for holding onto the rocks.

Had to turn back. Lost the trail several times but ultimately the trail had been washed out in several places by rockslides.

I only made it to Mount Superior. This is a pretty steep hike up through Cardiff Pass, then smooths our for a short period before more technical hiking is required as you travel the ridge line. As elevation gains quickly, there is a lot of scrambling necessary to reach the summit. FREAK STORM The day started out pretty hot, But as I made my way up to the Cardiff pass there were a few wispy clouds that cooled everything down pretty nicely. I checked my weather app so I wasn’t concerned that it was going to rain. When I reached the summit, I realized that the clouds were looking pretty ominous. IT HAPPENED QUICKLY In an instant I felt - and heard electricity inside of my ears, so strange, never had anything like that happen. I was petrified that I was going to be struck by lightning- I was the most magnetic thing on top of the summit. I started down quickly and only made it down about 15 feet before it started pouring rain and hailing. There was no place to shelter so I hunkered down and used my backpack to protect my head. Lightening and thunder increased and it was one of the scariest things I have ever experienced. After about 20 minutes the rain slowed down, and I once again began my descent, soaking wet and freezing. Note to self: even at the beginning of August, bring a sweatshirt. When I reached the bottom, there had been a rock slide into a parking area on the street. It’s the only photo I got! I like to take lots of photos and videos on my hikes, especially the summit, but this one is only logged in my head and in this blog.

I love exposure and scrambling but if you don’t, I’d say avoid this trail. Otherwise beautiful flowers and views from the top!

This is a great trail to get out and get some air. Trail is easy to find, at least to start. Gets a little muddled in the rocky scramble toward the top. Just keep your eyes peeled on the summit and you’ll meander there. Don’t be fooled when looking up from the beginning of the trail, the peak is hidden :) trail is VERY loose so be careful. I used poles for the lower half but had to stow them while scrambling. Lots of scrambling with some close edges. I have zero height issues and have done peaks more dangerous but I could see this being one to get the heart pumping in spots if you do. I brought spikes just in case but didn’t need them. There is snow up there but easily avoidable. I had heard this is a busy trail but had the summit of Superior all alone and Monte Cristo had one very nice gentleman. It’s a good one. Happy Trails!

Mon Oct 22 2018

Very difficult hike, the final half mile to the summit is poorly marked so you’re pretty much on your own. Found myself in several spots near the peak where I had to backtrack to find the trail. But if you push on to the summit you will be rewarded with amazing views of the Cottonwood canyons and the Wasatch mountains.

Fri Oct 12 2018

very difficult hike. Be wary the trail goes right and up the side but we ended up scrambling in the shale. if anyone finds a turquoise beaded earring it belonged to my dear friend who has passed away.

Sun Sep 02 2018

I hiked this in August 2 years ago and I am dying to go back again. It was a fairly easy hike, we started early around 5:00 and hiked through the sunrise. The sketchy part was after you get to the pass, then there is a lot of rock scrambling. We had a lot of exposure due to not being able to find the marked trail. The lose rocks made it difficult to navigate which way we needed to go. But we finally scrambled our way to the top and the view was amazing! We saw a couple of mountain goats and deer. Will hopefully make it back next summer to finish Monte Cristo as well.

Thu Aug 16 2018

The view is always great, but this is my least favorite hike/summit in SLC. The loose shale rock sucks, and makes me worried the entire time. The good thing is looking over Alta and Snowbird, and almost always seeing mountain goats.

Sat Aug 11 2018

AMAZING! Very technically challenging with scrambling required especially on the approach to the summit. The wildflowers stretching up the side of the mountain face in July is a sight not to be missed! :-) _/|\_ <3 When you reach the summit, you see great views of the Salt Lake Valley and neighboring peaks. I will have to come back to conquer Monte Cristo another time ...