Moab Rim Trail

Moab Rim Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Conveniently located near Moab, this trail offers a hardcore, four-wheeling experience with great views of Moab from various points along rim. Please note this is a dangerous trail. Not for stock vehicles or inexperienced drivers. This trail is shared by hikers and off-roaders, so if you don't have a 4x4, hike it! This route is located on BLM land. For current status call Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office at (435) 259-2100.

Great hike! The first and last mile are definitely a push, but the overlook is well worth it. Well marked trail and great weather. This hike was awesome! Great view of the La Salle’s at the overlook too!

Great workout and great views from the top! Wish I’d encountered fewer Jeeps!

Beautiful hike! Easy for the most part but a few super steep areas. Pretty exposed so bring sunscreen.

Amazing trail. Very hot and exposed but you can find shade easily for most of it and it’s perfect on a windy day. The view of the river is only for the first half mile, if that but you get insane views at the overlook. It’s also just a fun trail, although I’d stay off the sandy hills route (it’s boring). I’d also recommend climbing upwards in the beginning and getting on or around the stairs trail, it all leads to the same place at the end of the first mile so as long as you’re headed in the right direction you can’t get lost. There were barely any people throughout the entire trail, some Jeep enthusiasts in the beginning. Word of caution for that last mile hike up to the overlook. The first mile is also a great workout but WOOSH that last one kills, mostly because you’re tired by that point. But those are really the only two climbs and where you get almost all of your elevation for the trail. Didn’t encounter any mud, quite a bit of sand but nothing intolerable. I’d highly recommend this trail, my pup and I had a blast.

Beautiful trail, pretty sandy with an incredible lookout. Easy to find/stay on the trail.

Love this hike! Is hot so bring lots of water!!!

loved this trail!

I would definitely recommend this trail. Amazing views, lots of flowers, and a little wildlife. I did the trail yesterday, and even on a Saturday, it wasn’t crowded at all. There is some rock art along the trail, so do your research to find out where to get the most of your trip. And bring sunscreen!

Loved this hike. This trail doubles as a hiking trail and a jeeping trail. However, it was not at all crowded. We saw two other hiking groups and one Jeep and two dirt bikes after the first mile. Very serene and isolated. The first mile is very steep and gains over 900 ft in elevation. We took the stair master trail for this portion, but it runs parallel to the Moab Rim Trail (or Jeep trail). The rest is relatively flat with a few hills, a decent one before you get to the end and the overlook. The overlook is well worth the hike as you get a view of Moab, arches, the La Sal Mountains. Our mileage was 8.2 total, but if you took the left fork (sand hill) both ways, you’d be around 7.8. We took it back but took the longer fork on the way out. It was a great trail and May was the perfect time to do it. I wouldn’t do it much later as there was no shade and it was pretty warm with 70 degrees by the afternoon.

An absolute gem and a brilliant find, as automatically you only think of the main national parks around you for hikes. This was spectacular. It is a hard one, in the sense there is a lot of elevation, but mainly at the beginning. There are some other elevations but you’re much more prepared for it after the first stretch. The views are spectacular. You don’t really come across that many people, but it’s ok as the whole thing is along a Jeep off-road track so it’s so easy to follow and feel sure of the route (AllTrails always helps!). You need water, lots of it as the effort you’ve got to put in is a lot. We would definitely recommend this to people who like to hike and who may have thought they’ve done most of what’s around them in the national parks, even if you haven’t finished he parks yet - it’s great!

I loved this hike/trail. It’s about 1.25 miles up a pretty steep climb (think stairmaster) and then at the top of the rim you can explore. The views are beautiful and you can see all directions at the top. I was limited on time so I headed back down. There are white markers on the trail so you can navigate your way. The terrain is rock/slick rock but decent running or hiking shoes will work just fine. There were a few other people on the trail but other than that, pretty quiet. Close to town and worth the climb!

It was kinda hard. Most of it is uphill. But push yourself! You will not regret the view at the end!! And it’s foggy friendly so added bonus! Has views of the Colorado River, then views of the town at the very top.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Short but tough ... the views are definitely worth it though!

Thu Sep 20 2018

This trail is very scenic but not for the faint hearted. You ride along a cliff Edge climbing some boulders. Did this in a Jeep with 6inch lift and 35 tires. Didn’t need to use lockers. I have a little experience and I was slightly challenged by a few obstacles. We did this trail on our second day of the trip so I had a good feel for the Jeep we rented.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Thelma and Louise was filmed here!

Sun Apr 08 2018

Steep trail that’s challenging and gorgeous. We watched some brave Jeeps coming down the trail and heard some more bicyclists from across the highway. Great hike !

Fri Mar 30 2018

This seemed to be a 4x4 trail where hikers are also permitted to use it. Great workout in the beginning, just wish it were only for hiking.

Sat Mar 03 2018

This is more commonly called the Moab Rim 4X4 Trail, and sometimes the Moab Rim Safari Route (on Google Maps). It is not in Dead Horse State Park. It is along the Colorado River close to downtown Moab. For the first mile there is a well-marked hiking trail (named Stairmaster) that runs alongside the route for off-road vehicles. After that, it seems that hikers are walking along the vehicle route, which might be a pain, except it is probably exciting to see how the vehicles make it up the sketchy parts. Or what happens when they don't. (Lots of YouTube videos.) Either way, it the first mile is steep. There were no vehicles, or for that matter, any other people anywhere on this trail during my hike. The second half of the hike/drive can be done as various loops. There are lots of signs, but they are often strangely unhelpful. I took a good guess on how to do a loop and it worked out, including passing by an alcove with the surrealistic sight of a decrepit easy chair in the middle. This trail connects up with Hidden Valley, which is also an awesome hike, and I have gotten to the junction from both directions. It would be fun to do this as a point to point hike with transportation for the 6 miles between the two trailheads.

Sun Feb 04 2018

Awesome views and challenging hiking! Highly recommended.

Thu Dec 28 2017

Icy and snow packed in some areas, but still beautiful!

Fri Sep 22 2017

Hiked this trail in the spring. I continued on through and hiked down out by way of the hidden valley trail. It totaled around 9 miles. Beautiful scenery. Will hike this again. Although I would suggest if you are going to continue and hike the hidden valley trail I would start at the hidden valley trail and go up coming down it is grueling.

Sat Jul 15 2017

Just excellent, from a well experienced driver. All my other moderately experienced jeep buddies stopped and turned around due to off camber at the entrance.

Fri Jun 16 2017

Difficult start. Steep. But glad that it is dog friendly. Have only done the first mile twice. Next time I'd like to go farther. Beautiful views and what a workout. View of Colorado river behind you going up is stunning. View of Moab at top of first mile is lovely. I don't know how those vehicles make it! Was alone on trail both times except 2 other hikers.

Sun Apr 09 2017

This trail was amazing. It's a very steep trail that offers unforgettable views of moab. We started from the bottom and got to the top in about 30 minutes. There were a lot of off-road vehicles during this time due to Jeep Safari week. It was cool to see how these vehicles try to get up and down some pretty sketchy parts. We also saw a mountain biker. When we reached the top there was absolutely no one. We explored around a lot and we found a cave near the top left of the rim. Overall it was a short hard and scenic trail and very worth it.

Fri Mar 24 2017

This hike was our first on this trip to Moab. The first mile is straight uphill. It's hard and grueling. After that it's a pretty moderate trail. It is very well marked and not heavily trafficked. It is a pretty hike with views of Moab and the Canyonlands NP. My kids enjoyed exploring the arched caves and echoes. The only water along the trail are little pools left over from rain-so definitely bring water for your pooch.

Wed Feb 22 2017

This is a really scenic trail and I would suggest you take the "stair master" route. Pretty steep but worth it!

Fri Oct 21 2016

The first mile is extreme. The first 1/2 mile is very extreme! The rest of the trail has some good technical challenges. There are several good viewing spots. Great trail - not for the faint of heart!

Sun Aug 14 2016

Strenuous hike that will lead to a gorgeous view over the town of Moab. The first 30 minutes of the hike will be tough because it is STEEP. I believe you ascend over 1,000 feet in the span of a mile. Well worth it though if you want an astonishing view without the crowds.

Sat Aug 07 2010

This trail is one of my favorites. If Mountain Biking, I strongly suggest doing Moab Rim via Hidden Valley. This review is based on the above. My Experience This is a fantastic ride with stunning Moab scenery. The ride actually starts with a brutal 20 min. climb / portage, but once at the top, it is fantastic ride. This trail does not attract the crowds like other Moab trails, and you will most likely have the place to yourself. However, on weekends you might see numerous Off Road 44 vehicles. Conclussion EXCELLENT fun and scenic ride with a remote feeling even though you are just miles from Moab, once on the Rim you feel like you are the only person on earth. Excellent Moab scenery. The climb and portage to Hidden Valley is brutal, but once that is behind you, its cool runnings. Personally I DO NOT agree with the difficulty rating mentioned in the guide Books. Although the Downhill is absolutely mental, with a 22 grade, it is actually manageable, I have managed it myself with just 2 get offs. However, if anything goes wrong on the downhill it will probably cost you and your bike dearly.