Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Moab Rim Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Conveniently located near Moab, this trail offers a hardcore, four-wheeling experience with great views of Moab from various points along rim. Please note this is a dangerous trail. Not for stock vehicles or inexperienced drivers. This trail is shared by hikers and off-roaders, so if you don't have a 4x4, hike it! This route is located on BLM land. For current status call Bureau of Land Management, Moab Field Office at (435) 259-2100.

My Wife and I hiked this trail and were blown away at the views you got of the Colorado River, Stunning rock features, there is a dune you can check out. If you go all the way to the Outlook it’s pretty cool to see the city of Moab from that spot! I like quieter trails that are less crowded and this seemed to be it. We left very early and didn’t start seeing people until we were making our way back. I would highly recommend if your ready for something more challenging. Make sure you have more water than what you think you need if you plan to go to the outlook. It’s about 13 miles round trip.

Awesome hike! Definitely bring water because it does get pretty hot. Be on the lookout for ATVs and UTVs. First and last mile up are definitely rough but once you get to the end it is gorgeous!

All I can say about this hike is...WOW. Utah has been unreal in its offerings, and harbors some of the most visually stunning and noteworthy terrains. Everything about this hike was phenomenal. The terrain was like a giant playground and allowed freedom for exploration off the marked trails. The most enjoyable part of this hike was the climbing because of how easy the rock formation made it. The elevation gain was hardly noticeable because of how fun this landscape was to navigate. I could easily spend a few weeks out here exploring and never tiring of the views. Incredible experience and I will definitely be coming back for more.

First mile up is tough. The view from the top is amazing! No off road vehicles.

Great hike. Didn’t see a off-road vehicle the entire time. Looks gnarly though! Moderate hike. Be sure to veer right to the stair master trail if you prefer single track to the vehicle path.

Difficult first and last miles. We started at 9am and made it back around 1pm. It was a beautiful spring day. Cant imagine doing this hike in heat and sunshine. Trail is very exposed with barely any shade. Gorgeous views of La Sal mountains, Moab and Arches National Park. My Fitbit was convinced that this hike was 8.9 miles. We didnt see any jeeps but it's still the off season there.

Difficult ascent first 1.5 miles on the stair master. Great views of the La Sals, Moab and the horizon. ATV are allowed on trails.

ohv/off road driving

Definitely a hard trail. Drop off - cliff on the passenger side. Steep. Very difficult.

recorded Moab Rim Trail

icy

This trail was so much fun, with an amazing view of Moab! The first and last mile of the hike were a little tough but definitely doable

Great hike! The first and last mile are definitely a push, but the overlook is well worth it. Well marked trail and great weather. This hike was awesome! Great view of the La Salle’s at the overlook too!

Great workout and great views from the top! Wish I’d encountered fewer Jeeps!

Beautiful hike! Easy for the most part but a few super steep areas. Pretty exposed so bring sunscreen.

Amazing trail. Very hot and exposed but you can find shade easily for most of it and it’s perfect on a windy day. The view of the river is only for the first half mile, if that but you get insane views at the overlook. It’s also just a fun trail, although I’d stay off the sandy hills route (it’s boring). I’d also recommend climbing upwards in the beginning and getting on or around the stairs trail, it all leads to the same place at the end of the first mile so as long as you’re headed in the right direction you can’t get lost. There were barely any people throughout the entire trail, some Jeep enthusiasts in the beginning. Word of caution for that last mile hike up to the overlook. The first mile is also a great workout but WOOSH that last one kills, mostly because you’re tired by that point. But those are really the only two climbs and where you get almost all of your elevation for the trail. Didn’t encounter any mud, quite a bit of sand but nothing intolerable. I’d highly recommend this trail, my pup and I had a blast.

Beautiful trail, pretty sandy with an incredible lookout. Easy to find/stay on the trail.

Love this hike! Is hot so bring lots of water!!!

loved this trail!

Sun May 19 2019

I would definitely recommend this trail. Amazing views, lots of flowers, and a little wildlife. I did the trail yesterday, and even on a Saturday, it wasn’t crowded at all. There is some rock art along the trail, so do your research to find out where to get the most of your trip. And bring sunscreen!

Sat May 11 2019

Loved this hike. This trail doubles as a hiking trail and a jeeping trail. However, it was not at all crowded. We saw two other hiking groups and one Jeep and two dirt bikes after the first mile. Very serene and isolated. The first mile is very steep and gains over 900 ft in elevation. We took the stair master trail for this portion, but it runs parallel to the Moab Rim Trail (or Jeep trail). The rest is relatively flat with a few hills, a decent one before you get to the end and the overlook. The overlook is well worth the hike as you get a view of Moab, arches, the La Sal Mountains. Our mileage was 8.2 total, but if you took the left fork (sand hill) both ways, you’d be around 7.8. We took it back but took the longer fork on the way out. It was a great trail and May was the perfect time to do it. I wouldn’t do it much later as there was no shade and it was pretty warm with 70 degrees by the afternoon.

Thu May 09 2019

An absolute gem and a brilliant find, as automatically you only think of the main national parks around you for hikes. This was spectacular. It is a hard one, in the sense there is a lot of elevation, but mainly at the beginning. There are some other elevations but you’re much more prepared for it after the first stretch. The views are spectacular. You don’t really come across that many people, but it’s ok as the whole thing is along a Jeep off-road track so it’s so easy to follow and feel sure of the route (AllTrails always helps!). You need water, lots of it as the effort you’ve got to put in is a lot. We would definitely recommend this to people who like to hike and who may have thought they’ve done most of what’s around them in the national parks, even if you haven’t finished he parks yet - it’s great!

Thu Mar 28 2019

I loved this hike/trail. It’s about 1.25 miles up a pretty steep climb (think stairmaster) and then at the top of the rim you can explore. The views are beautiful and you can see all directions at the top. I was limited on time so I headed back down. There are white markers on the trail so you can navigate your way. The terrain is rock/slick rock but decent running or hiking shoes will work just fine. There were a few other people on the trail but other than that, pretty quiet. Close to town and worth the climb!

Sun Mar 17 2019

It was kinda hard. Most of it is uphill. But push yourself! You will not regret the view at the end!! And it’s foggy friendly so added bonus! Has views of the Colorado River, then views of the town at the very top.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Short but tough ... the views are definitely worth it though!

ohv/off road driving
Thu Sep 20 2018

This trail is very scenic but not for the faint hearted. You ride along a cliff Edge climbing some boulders. Did this in a Jeep with 6inch lift and 35 tires. Didn’t need to use lockers. I have a little experience and I was slightly challenged by a few obstacles. We did this trail on our second day of the trip so I had a good feel for the Jeep we rented.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Thelma and Louise was filmed here!