Mirror Lake Scenic Byway: Kamas to the Wyoming Line

Mirror Lake Scenic Byway: Kamas to the Wyoming Line is a 77.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kamas, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 77.6 miles Elevation Gain: 5,337 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

paved

The views from Bald Mountain Pass are breathtaking, across endless miles of forest and ridge-lines. These mountains support a variety of wildlife, frequently seen along the highway. From Kamas, the road follows the picturesque Provo River as it drops over boulders and falls from its headwaters. Heading east from Kamas through the national forest, Mirror Lake Highway is one of the most popular mountain routes in the state. The road winds through farm and ranch lands and rises to heavily forested, mountain terrain, accented by meadows and rugged peaks. The road is the highest paved road in Utah when it crosses Bald Mountain Pass at an altitude of 10,715 ft. There are numerous access points into the High Uinta Wilderness along this byway. Check for road closures online as snow is common and stretches of the road will be closed when it is too deep to plow.

Beautiful drive. We stopped and explored the Provo River falls and then walked around Mirror Lake. Definitely will return!

scenic driving

Road finally opened last week. Still quite a bit of snow at Bald Mountain Pass. Too much snow for a 4th of July backpack

Thu Nov 22 2018

This is always a fun trip. Very scenic. We drive from Evanston, WY and hit the Mirror Lake, Provo Falls, Bald Mountain, etc. On the way back to Ogden. One of our favorite drives.

Mon Aug 20 2018

My favorite! We stop off at little spots for hikes along the by way.

Thu Aug 09 2018

We loved this saw Provo river falls on the way to the lake then walked the trail around the lake

Sun Mar 25 2018

When the byway is closed, one can drive in only about 15 miles. At this point, there will be a road closed sign. There is a parking lot here. Many trucks come carrying their snowmobiles to use on the snow covered roads and trails. The main byway up to this point seems to be maintained by plows during the day (not at night), but the side roads to the campgrounds are not plowed, but some of the roads you can drive a little into depending on the type of vehicle you have and how much snow is still on the roads. I rated it 2 only because we did not have a snowmobile or skis or snowshoes to go into the trails, the rating would be better if we had any of those things to make the snow-covered roads more fun!

Sun Dec 17 2017

This is not a hike it is a drive but I do it all the time! Lakes ALL OVER THE PLACE! Definitely one to check out!

Sun Sep 17 2017

We went from Kamas to Mirror Lake. There are many campgrounds and view point pull offs, though we did not explore them. There are many open ranges, so drivers have to watch out for cows on the road. We saw a dusting of snow on the hilltops, frost and ice patches around Mirror Lake. We saw a few trees showing fall colors.

Wed Aug 16 2017

Very beautiful place to put up a hammock and relax by Mirror Lake. Don't come here for peace and solitude though.

Fri Mar 17 2017

I love exploring up here. Provo River Falls is my favorite place in Utah... just gorgeous. I'm surprised it doesn't have it's own trail listing... but there are lots of gorgeous places along this highway.

Sun Jul 10 2016

Lots of trails and dog friendly. Tons of lakes. Will have to go back multiple times to hit everything. Lots of fun to be had.

Mon Sep 28 2015

Pretty drive there were a lot of fall colors and the camping off the byway is great!

Sun Aug 23 2015

Beautiful drive with a lot of trails, campgrounds and lakes!

Tue Aug 04 2015

Beautiful drive into a wonderful recreation area.

Mon Sep 22 2014

Such a great area with perfect scenery! Love that I was able to take my pup for a walk around the lake.

Sun Nov 10 2013

I never get tired of this drive on my way to many of the hiking trails

Mon Oct 22 2012

This is a fun bike ride from the top of Bald Mtn Pass to Evanston, Wy or to Midway, UT. Either way is 50 miles, primarily down hill. There isn't a lot of bike lane on some sections of the road, but traffic is generally relatively lite. Great views, especially with fall colors.

Sat Sep 22 2012

I live in Evanston and take the scenic hwy 150 to mirror lake every year to go hiking various lake trails. I have seen deer on all of my visits so be careful in the evening when driving. The trails in the mountains are spectacular. I love it up there.

Wed Jul 13 2011

Awesome place to camp, hike, watch the wildlife. Highly recommend Lili Lake campground. Beautiful drive as well. If you're into snowshoeing and cross country skiing you will also love the place in the winter. Quiet and peaceful. Came across a few moose, bear, bald eagles and of course cows. When the weather gets really hot in the valley this area is about 20F cooler. Dog friendly.

Fri Sep 10 2010

One of the most beautiful drives I have ever taken.

Sat Jul 07 2018