Learn more

Mineral Fork Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,480 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 6.1 miles up the canyon to Mineral Fork Canyon. The trail begins on the south side of the highway where Big Cottonwood Canyon Road and the Mineral Fork road meet.

We made it to the mine today! It was gloriously beautiful! The trail is pretty rocky nearly the entire way. But it’s worth the effort

Very rocky trail but with so many areas to view off the trail. The river is gorgeous and crosses the trail several times. We only went to portion of the way as we didn’t have time to do the whole thing today. Lots of wildflowers. I can’t wait to do this one again!

Trail was clear of snow past the first mine site. after that the road/trail had patchy snow. Oddly the switchbacks were where the most snow accumulated. so it was challenging without spikes.

Very nice hike to the top of the ridge to see Sundial Peak, Twin Peaks and Dromedary Peak when looking east. There was still much snow once you start to hike up to the ridge after passing by the the mine, so bring microspikes and hiking poles. I enjoyed sliding down the snow from the top of the ridge on the way down.

Made it up to the mine, patches of snow. Wouldn’t recommend going past that right now with the snow melt

We went up about 2.5 miles before it started snowing and the trail was very snow packed. You do have to go over the steam a couple times. The runoff did also meet up with the trial for awhile. Even with that we enjoyed the view!

I only went in about a mile because I just wanted a secluded place to play guitar. It was so pretty even in that short hike with the river/waterfall + great views of the mountains. I didn’t run into one person while there. There’s a few patches of snow but easily avoidable.

Loved this hike. 78 degrees. Loose rocks, a steady climb and a couple of water crossing to pick your way across. We only saw one other person this morning. Made it to the mine before we had to turn around. Some wildflowers still to enjoy. The starting point wasn't as intuitive as we thought. Roughly 6.1 miles into BCC between Rock House and Mineral Slab snow avalanche areas on the south side of the road. There is a gate you can walk around and the trailhead sign is down the dirt road. Defiantly worth it.

Never steep. Lots of loose rock.

The trail is very rocky and reasonably steep. Make certain to wear shoes with good support. The wildflowers were still in full bloom today, surprising! Beautiful cirque. Made it halfway to the ridge from the trail, but it was too slippery and steep. Turned around. The weather was perfect today.

Re-hiked today. The last 3 time I've snowshoed and haven't be able to get to the upper basin until today.

Rockiest trail ever!

Steady incline with lots of loose rocks. Enjoyable hike but definitely a workout! View at the top is beautiful. Note, there’s a pretty steep rock climb to get from the “summit” to the top of the ridge line.

trail is in great shape until mile 3.6. still some snow and ice near top

Mon Jul 08 2019

Great trail, still snow at the top, the snow is pretty hard so you can walk on top of it with some waterproof boots. Made it to the top of the ridge and was rewarded with some nice views as far as I could see in each direction. I did have a couple falls so be careful or just wait a couple more weeks for the snow to melt.

Sat Jul 06 2019

Ice and snow still at the top. Fell on snow field with cleats and lost my ice axe in the fall. dislocated shoulder and helicopter ride out. if you find my ice ax, would be cool to get it back.

Sun Jun 09 2019

This trail is amazing! Great views, pine trees and aspens and wildlife oh my! I had to turn around at 2.5 miles there was a lot of snow from an avalanche. I will definitely be coming back in late summer to go the whole distance. Ran into a moose and a deer.

Wed May 15 2019