Mill Creek Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hard to follow the trail but our pup had a great off leash experience, which we were looking for (as allowed by the rules). We only hiked out about a mile but very much enjoyed the time. We had the place to ourselves in November. Very quiet yet close to Moab.

Let me start off by saying that the scenery is absolutely beautiful: the water is clear, the turning aspens against the red cliffs are stunning. I only hiked 1.5 miles in because this trail is blatantly abused. The heavily trafficked trail with just-as-heavily trafficked off-shoots makes this trail crazy hard to follow. The effort by BLM is there (they have some postings on where the trail is supposed to lead you to), but I accidentally veered off trail so many times that I unintentionally was part of the problem. And the graffiti on the walls of the cliffs make me sick. And when I saw dog poop, a shoe, and a beer can in the same vicinity of the first waterfall, I decided I couldn’t continue further. This place is in dire need of restoration so when people post how fun it was to explore, what they’re really saying is that they had fun going off trail and stomping over the land not part of the trail (whether it be intentional or not). What a shame.

Great easy hike with pictographs along the way to a beautiful swimming hole. Water is best in summer months but the hike is great year round.

Best hike close to town. Awesome for off leash dogs. Great for hot weather because you cross the creek multiple times, ends at really nice waterfall. Leave no trace!

This is a beautiful hike, especially in Fall. Some crossings are required so get your feet wet, and enjoy!

I loved hiking this trail. There are multiple creek crossings which make it really dynamic and fun. We made it to the cave, but I believe it goes a bit further than that. Totally worth it !

This trail is really beautiful but very poorly marked... Never did make it to swimming hole I don't think... Fun day regardless.

Easy jaunt to a beautiful waterfall. The water is cold and clean.

You have to cross the creek multiple times, so prepared to get wet. They’re also very many false paths from people wandering off the main trail that is very easy to get lost. After the first waterfall there are multiple paths that lead to dead ends or meander back to the main trail. After a certain point you random multiple groups that have lost the trail and were unable to continue.

A very nice trail. The waterfall and pool are a nice treat for the eyes and feet!

Easy hike just make sure you stay to the left at the fork in the canyon. The swimming hole is really beautiful tucked inside the alcove. Br sure to check out the petroglyphs on the canyon wall when you’re navigating the slanted rocks at the beginning of the trail.

Water is too shallow to cliff jump.

It was awesome!! We got to cliff jump into the water!!

Nice little trail. Way too heavily trafficked for my liking, but enjoyed wading through the shallow waters from the falls. Beautiful canyon. If you’re heading here for some cliff jumping, be cautious. There is a certain spot to jump and it’s chest deep at best. Though it has a sand bottom, apparently a couple people have broken ankles from the jumps.

This is one of the coolest hikes I’ve done! It’s an easy walk back into the canyon along the stream. At the end of the hike there is a cool swimming hole with cliff jumping! Highly recommend this one on a hot day.

Great short little hike. Did it with a group of young men ages 14-17. Everyone did great. The waterfall is beautiful and the water is cool. There’s a couple spots to jump off into the water, but it’s only about 7-8 ft deep in a small section you need to hit. There was another group of scouts there and one boy jumped off the higher cliff and hurt his leg pretty badly. The hike is nice. Crossing the creek a few times or just hiking in the creek. It’s pretty shallow. Overall a good time.

My wife, three kids (13, 10 and 6) and I really enjoyed the mile hike down to the waterfall. My 10 year old daughter appreciates any hike with water (and this one did not disappoint). I even jumped off cliff above waterfall for the fun of it. Red/orange rocks complimented the bright blue sky for a beautiful hike.

Great for hot summer days. Dogs who love water will love this place

It was an easy hike. You do have to cross through creeks to get to the waterfall, so you will get wet! We went during memorial weekend so it was heavily trafficked. I want to try this hike again when it's not so busy.

Easy walk (about a mile) to the first pool of water. There you can 'cliff jump', swim, and see beautiful waterfalls. If you wanna go further you can backtrack and loop around to go to the upper pools. This is a nice hike due to the low commitment of it. You can hike just to the first pool or go up the second and third, you decide! The water is ice cold so make sure to work up a good sweat on the trail. The only downside is the parking lot at the trailhead is small and the police come around often to ticket cars parked on the dirt road up so expect to park in the neighborhood below and walk an extra mile to the trailhead.

Some of the reviews made us nervous to go on this hike. We chose to do the hike anyway because we wanted somewhere we could enjoy the water.

This hike was amazing. We went the first weekend of May and the traffic wasn’t bad at all. The man made waterfall is right at the beginning of the trail and kind of lame, but the natural waterfall a mile in was BEAUTIFUL. The natural waterfall was surrounded by giant red sandstone and a nice swimming area. Definitely an easy, quick hike.

Short creek crossing. Probably more fun in the summer but it was pleasant. Waterfall is pretty.

There are two ways to look at this trail, a short hike/run with three or four ankle deep river crossings or you can go up over the water fall and finish out the hike which at some points requires you to get a little more wet. I would recommend taking the short route to the falls then backtracking and taking the higher section where the views really start to pay off. This is a great trail for a run especially after about 1.3 miles in the trail starts to roller-coaster and it is an absolute blast though it is sandy and you have to earn it.

Quick hike to a pretty waterfall. Though there was a few inches of snow, the route was clear. Three light stream crossings were ok with boots on. The beginning had a 15ft stretch that might be a bit tricky for those with balance issues as its icy and narrow next to the creek.

Same experience as Elizabeth. In 30°, I wasn’t up for wet feet and the creek ice was too thin to walk on. Turned around at the first crossing but the views up until there were stunning!! The first bit of the trail that hugs right close the creek was a little treacherous with ice and hard packed snow on rock. I visited in early January.

Close to my house!

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Loved the fact that the trail follows the water but with the cooler weather we were not interested in wet feet. We couldn’t find the part of the trail to hike above the falls a mile in. Otherwise it was a super nice hike.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

It was 95 so a bit miserable in the sun but the hike was fun, has some great shady areas and the waterfall at the end was glorious and so refreshing! My 3.5 yr old experienced hiker some did this on his own and with our help in a few areas. Wear swim suits, hats, take towels, water and sunscreen. Hiking shoes you don't mind walking in water with or also bring water shoes for those spots as well as the swimming hole at the end. I wouldn't normally mark this as toddler friendly but with the help of adults it's possible for toddlers who are experienced with hiking.

Friday, August 25, 2017

This hike is wonderful. It's more of a walk. It goes through the canyon and through water. (The best part!) the water fall at the end is beautiful. You can even find a way to the top and enjoy it from above!