Mill Creek Pipeline Trail

Mill Creek Pipeline Trail is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,500 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail has several options in winter. I love snowshoeing in winter. It beats snowshoeing the road. Few dogs and bikes are a plus in winter.

recorded Recording - Oct 15, 02:04 PM

Not a lot of shade in some parts, just a heads up dogs must be leashed on even calendar days and can be let off leash on odd days

The trail from Church fork towards Rattlesnake Gulch was easy and beautiful. The path was in good condition. Since it was cloudy with light intermittent rain, it wore a completely serenading look (much respite from the dry heat). You could hear the lively creek during the initial part of the trail which was also mostly shaded. The trail opens up to lesser shaded areas and ones with vistas more towards the Rattlesnake Gulch area. We met quite a few off leash dogs who seemed to like the trail too ;D There are atleast 3-4 picnic spots closer to the trailhead. Great hike!

One of my more frequent hike/run/bike trails. I typically break it up into ~5 mile loops (Up Rattlesnake Gulch to to pipeline and head east along the trail to porter fork and then run down the road back to vehicle. Next loop is Porter Fork trailhead east to elbow fork and back down the road to vehicle. Loop from Church Fork to Elbow Fork and down the road for about 6-7 miles. If you are running/hiking and want to see fewer bikes on the trail do it on an odd number day. There will still be bikes on the trail but there will be fewer since the upper trails (big water/wasatch crest) are restricted to even number days (for bikers) so they won't be coming down pipeline from those trails on odd number days. Snake encounters are frequent on this trail (I've seen rubber boas, rattlesnakes, garter snakes).... That stick you see on the trail might be a 'nope-rope'.

Hiked yesterday at about 5pm and there was a big rattlesnake right on the trail, keep your dogs and kiddos close!

great trail, hard beginning but worth it in the end. took my dogs with and they had a blast.

I can see my house from the overlook so it’s one of my favorite trails to get a quick run in with my dogs. If you only have time for one trail in the area, I wouldn’t recommend it compared to grandeur or desolation.

Hiked this today and I wasn't a fan. It's fairly steep, but that wasn't the bad part. There's just no variation in the trail, the floor is all rocks, and there's little shade. Do yourself a favor and go across the street and east a couple of miles to Desolation. Gorgeous canopy of conifers with very diverse switchbacks.

My dog and I had a nice time. Most of it is straight uphill. Once you make it through that you get a nice walk with great views. I would do it again any day. Lots of people but nicely spaced out. A lot of friendly dogs as well.

Nice little hike, busy. Lots of cross country and snow shoes but you don't have to have those as the snow is packed down. Parking is a bit of a nightmare.

Hiked part of this trail from the Grandeur Peak trailhead at the Churchill campground on New Years Day. The snowy views were beautiful and with most of the trail in the sun, it was not too cold. No need for snowshoes or spikes, the trail is packed down, only icy in small spots.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Nice trail. Very muddy right now with melted snow. A lot of downed branches across the path at the moment.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Fairly easy hike, first part is a steady slight incline, eventually it levels out and then its just cake walk. Trail gets busy with runners and bikers but views are beautiful.

Sun Aug 26 2018

It is really cool at sunset

Thu Aug 23 2018

I would not call this an easy hike. We stuck it out through 0.6 miles of basically straight uphill before we turned around. The Mill D trail in Big Cottonwood is rated Moderate and was easier than this.

Mon Aug 20 2018

My favorite trail to run on the Wasatch front- never steep, great views alternating with shade!

Sun Aug 19 2018

Easy hike, but great to get out door's.

Fri Aug 17 2018

For a beginner like me; this was a great hike with amazing views!

Sun Aug 12 2018

Good views of the city. No shade after the first climb.

Wed Aug 01 2018

I love coming to Millcreek canyon. It is so beautiful. I've done this trail a few times. Great for trail running but it is novice so it gets busy. lots of mountain bikers on this trail.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Once you reach the top it is amazing.

Wed Jul 11 2018

With all of the hiking choices in Millcreek Canyon, I am not in a big hurry to do this one again. I was just out for some exercise this morning, so I hiked an hour up the trail. The first 8/10ths of a mile is a very steady climb, but then it levels off. After the climb, the portion that I hiked did not have much shade, and it was close enough to the Boy Scout camp that I could hear their music and cheers. When I try this trail again, I will start from the upper trailhead to see if I can find a more peaceful setting.

Mon Jul 09 2018

This is a nice trail for running. Once you make your initial climb, you get some good straight shots. We hike from the church fork picnic area and come out at the big pipe with a great view of the valley. You can start climbing again from there or call it a day.

Fri Jun 22 2018

As a beginner and a big gal, I loved this hike. :)

Wed Jun 20 2018

The trail is very nice. Steep in the beginning with rewarding views. The people who bring their dogs need to be held accountable for leaving bags of dog poo on the sides of the trail. Don't bag it if you are just going to leave it, just throw it off the trail with a stick...

Mon Jun 18 2018

Great trail! Dog friendly. Very steep at the beginning but flattens out once you get about a half of a mile up!