Mill Creek Pipeline Trail is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,500 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Apparently, I’m out of shape because a lot of folks around here are saying it’s an easy walk, not a hike. I almost passed out during the first part of the “walk”. Perhaps I wasn’t getting enough oxygen, or perhaps I’m just whining. Either way, it’s a fun “walk”. Wear sunscreen or a hat, bring water, and wear some comfortable shoes. Oh, and bring a snack so you can enjoy it after your “walk”.

This was the first time we did this hike, as we are trying to branch out and needed something we could take the dog on. This was reasonably close to home and didn't sound difficult. Overall it wasn't too bad, but the first half of the hike was kinda steep and there was absolutely no shade (we went in the afternoon) so we struggled. the second half wouldn't have shade no matter the time of day, but was pretty flat to the lookout. beautiful view and we were glad we went!

Perfect for an easy trail run. Little to no shade. This is my go to trail run with my dog, but be cautious of rattlesnakes.

Make sure you are not supposed to be on Grandeur Peak- this is a long mainly unshaded relatively flat meandering long trail. Follows the road- not super exciting but good for a trail run or easy walk not a "hike"

Fairly easy trail to have a nice, peaceful walk with beautiful views. The beginning was the moderate part of the trail because it’s uphill at a moderate gradient.

5/2/20- This is a favorite trail for a lot of people and I’ve never understood why. There are a lot of prettier trails with better views of the city. After a pretty, but super steep start, it’s boring, exposed and flat. The views are good and right now there are some wildflowers which add to the trail.

First hike of the year May 2nd, 2020. Experienced so had proper gear, including outfitted 30 liter day pack (first aid kit, tournequate, food, sunscreen, bug spray, water, rope, tarp, clothing) staff, and premium hiking boots. Planned on a 5 hour treck, with a 10 minute break every 45 minutes. 08:00 start. First 3/4 mile a very steep climb. Staff and correct footwear helped tremendously. Rocky surface makes for challenges during the "climb". Tapers off to a more manageable surface at almost a mile. With a 15 lb pack it was a doable start but I was winded at about the one mile mark. Took first break trailside. Heard a rattling and immediately knew I was in close proximity to a rattler, so I moved to the other side of the trail. Warning stopped. Hydrated - dried my sweaty face - and as I moved out, I noticed two bags of dog poop trailside in the underbrush. Curious as to why someone would actually scoop the poop only to leave it for a later pickup from the "poop fairy" lol!? Now about 9:45 and a few early birds were decending towards me. Friendly greetings exchanged as I was thoroughly investigated and smelled up close by three unleashed dogs. A Black Lab, and two unrecognizable muts. I am a former dog owner (three Pit Bulls) decades ago, so no big deal. About one hour later still not too impressed with the views, and rather boring terrain. Break time - and as I stepped off the trail I could hear approaching voices. ZOOOM - several Mountain bikers RIPPED past me with no intent at a careful approach or safe pass. No acknowledgement at all. If I had not been off to the side, there most likely would have been a crash/strike! Onward again and over the next hour or so I passed several cordial hikers in small groups, and encountered more roaming dogs and generally reckless bikers. Hikers seem friendly, bikers preoccupied and less so. At the four hour mark about noon, I still had a distance remaining, but after my break and lunch (about 30 minutes), I decided to head back. The return of course was easier until the last mile. Downhill at that incline was more challenging of course, (I forgot that part lol) and overall I was assured that a hot bath, and an early turn it would be neccessary once home. Generally OK - but rather a dissapointment, as the views aren't that great, the surface consistently difficult, the bikers numerous and reckless, and the dogs without exception were roaming free to contact me up close and personal, and multiple dog poop bags around (like 8 - 10). The unexpected workout, and the unseen rattle snake alerting his presence, was the best part of the hike. 7 hours later entering my car about 3:00 pm I decided I would never return there again for all of the above stated reasons.

trail was amazing, nice and dry. went early in the morning and there wasnt too many people on the trail. definitely want to do it again.

Awesome trail. One of my favorites so far. There’s people on bikes so be aware of that.

Did the section from just past porter fork road to elbow fork and back on Tuesday. Very few people and trail 90% clear of snow and mud. Beautiful.

Perfect day today. No snow or mud on trail & not too many people. Some mtb’s & runners but everyone was super polite. Didn’t go the whole way as I was short on time but great walk before wrk. Most of the trail is exposed so be sure to bring water & sun protection if you need it.

sooooo pretty

This trail has several options in winter. I love snowshoeing in winter. It beats snowshoeing the road. Few dogs and bikes are a plus in winter.

Not a lot of shade in some parts, just a heads up dogs must be leashed on even calendar days and can be let off leash on odd days

The trail from Church fork towards Rattlesnake Gulch was easy and beautiful. The path was in good condition. Since it was cloudy with light intermittent rain, it wore a completely serenading look (much respite from the dry heat). You could hear the lively creek during the initial part of the trail which was also mostly shaded. The trail opens up to lesser shaded areas and ones with vistas more towards the Rattlesnake Gulch area. We met quite a few off leash dogs who seemed to like the trail too ;D There are atleast 3-4 picnic spots closer to the trailhead. Great hike!

One of my more frequent hike/run/bike trails. I typically break it up into ~5 mile loops (Up Rattlesnake Gulch to to pipeline and head east along the trail to porter fork and then run down the road back to vehicle. Next loop is Porter Fork trailhead east to elbow fork and back down the road to vehicle. Loop from Church Fork to Elbow Fork and down the road for about 6-7 miles. If you are running/hiking and want to see fewer bikes on the trail do it on an odd number day. There will still be bikes on the trail but there will be fewer since the upper trails (big water/wasatch crest) are restricted to even number days (for bikers) so they won't be coming down pipeline from those trails on odd number days. Snake encounters are frequent on this trail (I've seen rubber boas, rattlesnakes, garter snakes).... That stick you see on the trail might be a 'nope-rope'.

Hiked yesterday at about 5pm and there was a big rattlesnake right on the trail, keep your dogs and kiddos close!

Fri May 24 2019

Sun May 12 2019

great trail, hard beginning but worth it in the end. took my dogs with and they had a blast.

Fri May 10 2019

I can see my house from the overlook so it’s one of my favorite trails to get a quick run in with my dogs. If you only have time for one trail in the area, I wouldn’t recommend it compared to grandeur or desolation.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Hiked this today and I wasn't a fan. It's fairly steep, but that wasn't the bad part. There's just no variation in the trail, the floor is all rocks, and there's little shade. Do yourself a favor and go across the street and east a couple of miles to Desolation. Gorgeous canopy of conifers with very diverse switchbacks.

Sat Apr 27 2019

My dog and I had a nice time. Most of it is straight uphill. Once you make it through that you get a nice walk with great views. I would do it again any day. Lots of people but nicely spaced out. A lot of friendly dogs as well.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Sun Jan 06 2019

Nice little hike, busy. Lots of cross country and snow shoes but you don't have to have those as the snow is packed down. Parking is a bit of a nightmare.