Mill Creek

Mill Creek is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,578 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Not a bad short trail. One of the log bridges broke today. Shortly after the waterfall the trail was extremely overgrown. So if you continue past the waterfall look for the orange ribbons to mark the trail.

fun little trail. there were a lot of briars so we turned because of a poor choice of clothing. I would recommend pants if you don't want your legs scratched up.

Had a good adventure: flowers, butterflies, several friendly snakes, lots of creek-crossings on log bridges, some scree scrambles, and once a swim (to save my phone when it took a splash—Hooray for waterproofing features!). Many thanks to whoever marked the trail with ties since it gets pretty overgrown as it ascends. Sadly, the trail map is deceptive—the trail ends in brambles and bushes long before reaching the top of the creek canyon. There *might* have been a trail continuing southeast toward the mtn peak: it seemed pretty well-defined even though it wasn’t marked on the All Trails app—but I ran out of time to explore. Maybe next time! See Keith Brown’s review below—he sums it up nicely.

Climbed this yesterday with my wife and 5 children ranging from 10 to 18 months. There were some steep sections that took us a bit longer to navigate the young ones through but we made it up to the second river crossing after which there was no discernible trail. The waterfall was the best part of this hike and was about a five foot drop with the river ten feet across. Beautiful hike that I would recommend to anyone, my only complaint would be that we couldn’t go further due to the lack of trail with the children.

definitely not just a leisurely hike. very nice just being surrounded by nature. dog loved roaming up and down the mountain. probably better in the summer when you can see the ground.

Went a ways beyond the first camp to a hunting camp. There is no discernible trail for about 0.6 miles, completely overgrown and painful. Nice aspens and decent canyon. Didn't quite make the fork. On the way down the trail was harder to see. Lots of scratches. Don't wear shorts. Pretty up in there, but a lot of work to get there.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Great review below that says it all. once was enough. Made a loop by hiking the Kenny creek trail

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Very difficult and seldom used hike. Starting point is at the far South-East end of Mueller Park so you will have a bit of a walk to get to the trail depending on where you park. I started recording when the pavement ended. First 0.4 mile is a dirt road, then the trail started. Until you hit the campsite I marked the trail wasn't overly difficult to follow. Every time I started to wonder if I was still on the trail I was able to find a plastic tie trail marker. You have to cross the creek 13 times, in addition to crossing and using the tributaries (mud) as a trail often. There is also a section that is in and out of the creek and may get dangerous depending on the season. I was able to slowly pick my way through this section without getting too wet, but you should assume you will get wet on this hike. The trail was pretty overgrown at times but once you pass the campsite it was closer to bushwhacking. Even with pants my shins are bruised from pushing through. I eventually turned back once I hit a large snow field that was deeper than I cared to work through and I had been having trouble locating the ties as well. The trail should continue about 1.5 more miles. I think I had gotten further but noticed my GPS stopped advancing at 2.75 miles. I would recommend turning back at the campsite for about 5 miles RT.

Sunday, September 09, 2018