Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(44)
Mill Canyon

Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 108 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Self guided trail with informative signs describing what is front of you.

Super fun trail! We parked before the sandy area because we didn’t have a 4 wheel. But the walk in was not too bad and the trail was awesome! The interpretative part was informative and they pointed out the dinosaur bones. It was a good education on where to look when looking for bones!

In a compact car we drove directly to it where google maps took us. It was a fun short walk! It’s nothing too amazing, but it was interesting. Quick and easy walk around the path!

I missed all the dinosaur stuff by entering the trail system on a trail signed for the M&M trail, just below the parking area. I actually parked about a half mile before the official trailhead, due to the warnings about the sand, but I could have made it no problem in my RAV4. Next time I will have to do the route with the interpretative signs. There are other parking areas on the way in that have access to different sites. Even though I missed the dinosaur artifacts, the hike I did was wonderful. I went up all the way through the canyon, along the stream, and then entered on to the OHV road system in Courthouse Pasture. I could see Determination Towers in the distance and went there. Really spectacular scenery everywhere you look. I can't wait to go back and explore more. There was lots of evidence of mountain bike and OHV traffic, but I didn't see another person the entire morning, which is saying something, because you can see for miles in all directions. It was 6.8 miles RT.

Dinosaur tracks as beginning of Mill Creek road. Really cool dinosaur tracks.

Although there is a bike trail it is all deep sand and we had to push the bike. As a hike with the dinosaur fossils it is really awesome.

**Be aware there are two dinosaur sites in this area. The Dinosaur Tracksite, easily accessible with any vehicle (people posted pics here from the Dino tracks site), and this Dinosaur Bone Trail. The Bone Trail is down a very sandy, rocky road, and is described in my review here** This was my teen’s favorite dinosaur trail. The sand is deep driving to the trailhead, I wouldn’t risk driving it without a high-clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle, there were numerous pot holes filled in with rocks on the road. If you have a 4x4, get on out there and enjoy seeing fossilized dinosaur bones! It was a fantastic trail, and we were so fascinated by the fossils we didn’t even realize the trail was a few miles. We also took the trail out of the creek bed a mile or so to see the sites in the valley. Please please have kids stay on the trail to preserve the biological soil! I saw many tracks trampled on the bio-soil which will take decades to recover. #leavenotrace

Great trail with cool dinosaur bones. We went at mid-day in June due to time constraints, and it was pretty hot. Bring your water! Also, I wouldn’t risk trying to drive all the way to the dinosaur trail unless you have a four-wheel drive vehicle that can make it through a good amount of sand. We were in a Ford Transit, so we parked at the smaller parking area just before you hit the deep sand, and then walked the road. There is basically no shade

Sun Mar 24 2019

Our family of 4, including 6 year old and 2 1/2 year old daughters love this hike. It’s nice and short, easy and interesting. Our girls love to race to the signs and look for the fossils. During the muddy season parts of the road can get hairy for non 4-wheel drive.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Fun hike for the kids. Drove the big diesel through the sandy portion with no problems. No shade so wear sunscreen and bring enough water.

Mon May 14 2018

Let me assist with the directions after my experience today: Mile marker 141. Drive in over the Railroad tracks and follow the road to the right. Second large parking lot. Park there for Dinosaur tracks. When done continue down that road and park and walk a mile to the dinosaur bones. Don’t drive in the deep sand unless your car/truck can handle it or get stuck. Both sites are worth seeing and good if you can to do something heading in or out of Moab. Bring water if you walk that sandy mile.

Fri Apr 06 2018

The kids loved the different trails and what there was to see! Adventured off to some other trails and was able to see other things! Super easy, my 2 year old was able to handle the different trails

Fri Aug 04 2017

The dive out is on unimproved road, and included a pretty sandy stretch. There was a mini van that was stuck. We made it no problem in a Tahoe. That said, this hike is like visiting a museum. BLM has several plaques along the trail explaining the fossils. Please note that the AllTrails mapped trail is much longer than the actual trail. Cross the wash to the old copper mill, then head back. The highlighted trail will take you further up the wash, but with no fossils.

Tue Jul 25 2017

Really easy to find and very well marked. Visited 3 years ago and was much harder to find or understand what we were seeing.

Tue Mar 29 2016

Great new signage make sit easy to understand which bone goes where in the dinosaur. My daughter also loved walking along the creek looking for animals and their tracks in the mud and sand. Great short hike for kids!

Fri Feb 05 2016

Great for kids! They can see the fossils the way they are found in the rocks so they can start looking out for them on other hikes. If you continue south and the far end of the loop, along the river there is lots of room to explore and there are great views to the south into the basin.

Fri Oct 31 2014

Right off the highway, short hike. Very cool seeing the fossils that are so well preserved. Definitely one for the kiddos too.

Thu Mar 13 2014

Very short hike. It was interesting to see the dinosaur fossils. We were glad to see signs that described the fossils because otherwise we wouldn't have known what they were.

Sat Oct 26 2013

Very interesting trail where dinosaur bones are exposed along a creek. Great for kid who like dinosaurs! See Map # 500 - Moab North.

recorded Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail