Mill B North Fork Trail

Mill B North Fork Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 4.4 miles up the canyon to trailhead. Trailhead is located on the north side of the S curve 0.1 mile past Mill B South Fork Picnic Area. Trailhead sign marks the beginning of the trail.

Beautiful.. but as others have mentioned, it becomes overgrown about 3.5 miles in. I ended up turning around as I was running and not trying to push through that amount of brush.
I did see a mountain goat near the beginning and overall enjoy the challenge of this trail.

I don't usually post here, but a lot of the reviews for this hike are misleading, so I thought I'd weigh in. This is actually quite a difficult hike. There are many spots where the trail is well-maintained and a gradual incline, but also many that are steep and rocky and/or overgrown. Note that many of the people posting that it's a moderate hike did not make it to the top. The rocky overlook is the halfway point. After that, the trail gets pretty steep and you're pushing through a lot of overgrowth. The terrain isn't quite as difficult as Lake Blanche, but it's comparable in difficulty, especially because of the distance. It is a beautiful trail with some stunning views and well worth doing if you like a challenging hike. But it shouldn't be attempted lightly. Start early and pack plenty of water and snacks if you're planning on doing the whole thing. It'll take a while.

Gorgeous hike! We only went up a little past the lookout, which I would agree is not marked at the correct location in this map. We just happened to take the little turnoff when we came to it and the views were very rewarding! The beginning is definitely a little steep, but manageable if you can make tall steps. We hiked mid morning and there was plenty of shade.

This trail was great from the start! It’s a bit steep in the beginning but it levels off to a creekside and forest hike. The map shows the trail west of the creek but it’s really east of the creek. Once you get to the fork, go right for the overlook. It’s amazing!

Plenty of deer and occasional moose if you hike quietly during the week. Busy trail on weekends.

This is a great trail with a doable elevation gain. The destination was nothing amazing. The hike was 12 mi round trip (6 up and 6 down), not the 9.8 mi this app tells you. Bring plenty of water, 2+ liters. The descent was not good on my feet even though I had good hiking shoes. Got bloodied toenails. But overall, I would say it was a good hike!

Great trail! The first .5 mile or so is the steepest, rocky and sun exposed if you're not early enough. We started about 8:45 and it was cool and shady, but sunny when we got back down. Once the trail heads back a bit into the woods it's cool and shady the whole rest of the way. Beautiful views the whole way up. One small area had us walking in the water, but very shallow and manageable. We went as far as a rocky overlook area, a little trail diverts off to it on the right, you can see the rock face from the trail. At this point you are pretty much at the top, the trail continues on but I'm not sure how much further. We called it good here, spectacular views in all directions! I would definitely do this one again.

one of the best

Great hike for beginners like my husband and I. We’ve done a few short ones (donut falls, grotto falls) so this one was the longest for us thus far and I was worried we bit off more than we could chew. Thankfully the hike down was such a breeze and so fast. The view at the top is definitely worth it:) also: we ran into two families (one at the lookout and the other in the middle of the first switch backs) that were only there to see hidden falls. We advised them that at the very beginning of this trail there are stairs on your right and a trail to your left.. taking the left trail will get you to the falls in like five minutes. Hope that helps someone from hiking all the way up.

My go to hike after work heading to the lookout point. Keep an eye out for snakes. I've seen two good sized rattle snakes in the last two weeks close to or on the trail.

This was amazing. Long but worth it. View is breathe taking.

Beautiful trail with moderate inclines and switchbacks. The views of the canyon were spectacular! On a Saturday, during the middle of the day, we saw three other groups so it is a quiet trail.

I only went to the overlook (which I think is not accurately marked on this map...I was right where the GPS said it was and that spot was not a place to see everything, there was, however a beautiful rocky area overlooking everything just before the spot marked on this app). There was still some snow, but I survived in sneakers. Gorgeous views of the canyon at the top and I loved the part that was close to the river (and at times IN the river...be prepared to get wet!)

Beautiful view and trail with uphill and canyons!! Really enjoyed!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Moderately difficult trail with beautiful views. We had to turn back at the end when too much snow was falling. We could barely fund the trail. Plenty of stunning views. Just remember the weather can change quickly towards the top.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

This hike was absolutely beautiful! The trail starts at the TH sign, then crosses the road and continues up the stairs on the right. The first bit is the hardest, switchbacks in the sun on rocks. Once it curves around to the back side of the mountain it follows a creek for a little ways. Then you continue up the mountain. I went up about 2.5 miles and most of it was in the shade. I didn't see anyone else on the way up. The views were spectacular!! Will definitely do this one again!!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Rattle snake on trail.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Hiked this on 7/1/17. The views were spectacular and the wild flowers even better! I would have rated this as difficult but then again I'm used to hiking at 1,200 ft. Elevation. I'm an avid hiker, but 52 yrs old and about 30 lbs overweight. We saw a few others that were running it as this trail intersects with a few other trails. It took us four hours up and 2.5 down. We started at 7am and was in shade most of the way up. Coming down, we were mostly sun exposed and it got quite warm. A beautiful day!

Monday, July 03, 2017

Lots of green along the trail. Came across a couple of rattlesnakes. Other than that, beautiful hike.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

It's a very rocky incline at first. It does level off but remains a steady incline. You will want good shoes. There are plenty of places to stop and rest and take in the amazing views. I didn't make it to the top but I will do this one again. Most beautiful hike I've done in a while.

Friday, June 02, 2017

There was snow about half way up that could be passed by taking a brief off-trail shortcut on some leafy and slightly muddy terrain. There were a few very small snow patches on the trail that I could just walk over. And about 0.5 miles from the end of the trail there was a very large snow patch covering steep terrain and I could not find any way around that. It is still worth it to hike this trail even though I couldn't quite reach the end this time.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Beautiful trail. Very well maintained for as far as I was able to go. Big snow patches at about 8200ft. Crossed a few until I got to a large one with a ~50° incline. Nah, I'm good.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great Hike! A little muddy throughout the hike. Near the end of the hike there is a little bit of snow that requires hiking sticks or crampons. Great views.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Pretty hike!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Love this hike even took my son on it in my pack when he was two good hike
Last Spring:
Mill B North Fork was especially breath taking on this rainy hike. The rain clouds moving into the canyon might of made it hard to see the few that most people hike up to the look out spot to see but I would not change the weather for a farther few that day, the clouds rolling in made a fantastically mythical atmosphere that was really enjoyably to see. The cloud cover and rain also made all the colors on the trail come alive, the greens were so vibrant, It was so hard not to take pictures of everything I saw!
I loved this trail because of its winding paths that take you up at a faster pace giving you a little work out bringing the heart rate up. About 10-15 min into the trail it evens out to an area that has vary little of an incline and you can competently enjoy the nature around you and running stream to the left of the trial once you get closer to the look out point the trail gradually steepens.
Once I arrived to the look out the rain had picked up greatly and it was quite windy. And as soon as I stepped up to the top of the look out the rain instantly turned to snow as it fell, through the weather you can see the road going farther into Big Cottonwood Canyon and you can look the opposite direction and see the road leading back to Salk Lake. The best part was when I started to walk back down and I took only About five steps lower and the snow tuned back to rain and as i looked up i could see where it was still snowing, there was a fine line between snow and rain.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Hiked and Snowshoed the trail today. Hiked until he snow started getting deeper up on the ridge the snowshoes did make it easier about half way up. Light snow was falling all morning.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Kudos to whoever marked that little side trail that takes you to the rocky overlook, giving a gorgeous view of the canyon, almost 360 degrees around. This has been my favorite hike in my young career of hiking the wasatch.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

I loved this hike! I think because the fall colors were bursting with color. Stunning! I would highly recommend it.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Guess I should have read the reviews about the gals being at the beginning :) I hiked about 2.5 miles up, which is when the path got a little sketchy after going across the face of the mountain. Some steep sections, but overall not too taxing. I think it's classed correctly at 'moderate' - though I would say it's a narrow single trail and some parts are overgrown.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I didn't have time to check out the falls, but the main hike was beautiful and just strenuous enough to be a nice workout without being too hard. Great for if you don't have tons of time but want to see gorgeous views.