Mill B North Fork Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,618 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 4.4 miles up the canyon to trailhead. Trailhead is located on the north side of the S curve 0.1 mile past Mill B South Fork Picnic Area. Trailhead sign marks the beginning of the trail.

Started at 8 am after a night and morning of snow! Trail had snow on it starting fairly early and many branches with leaves weighed down with snow covering it that had to be shaken to remove the snow to pass. We put spikes on about half way up to the Desolation trail connection. There was about 4-8 inches of snow as we got higher and the trail was tricky to follow (having the app really helped us keep finding the trail). The skies cleared and it was a beautiful day. Most of the snow on the lower half of the trail was melted by the afternoon. Also, my son lost his left set of microspikes somewhere about 3 miles up the trail. If anyone sees it, please just let me know.

May 1: made it up about 3 miles. You will need spikes about 2.5 miles. We lost the trail—so decided to head back. It was beautiful, lots of water running, and great views. Can’t wait to go back and climb the rest when snow is melted.

My friend and I had a 3 and 4 yr old with us and went to hidden falls. When t was time to go, they wanted to wander up this trail. We didn’t make it all the way up, but what we did see made me want to go back. We got up a little ways and just off the side of the trail (it looks like someone made a new trail) to a little cave made of giant rocks. The kids had a blast sitting in the cave and looking out across the road from such a high point. They also used one of the rocks as a ‘slide’ despite the fact that it was only like 2 ft tall. For as far as we made it up, the kids did most of it themselves and it wasn’t too much of a struggle, but I am not sure if it gets more difficult as you go up. The hardest part for them was going towards the cave which seems to be technically off the trail anyway. I definitely want to go again and finish the trail, but it is mostly exposed and we went on a very sunny day. Next time I would probably go on a cooler/overcast day but it was pretty for as far as we made it up. We got to see a variety of bugs and some flowers, and a lizard of some sort that got away right as I tried to take a picture!

not much water left. rattlesnakes. exposed to sun

Gorgeous views! We saw a baby moose right at the lookout but the momma moose was off chasing other hikers so be aware of your surroundings!

So I did the hike again and finished up to the saddle between Raymond and Gobbler's. I actually logged 11.2 miles in spite of AllTrails saying it is 9.8 miles. My legs feel more like 11.2. Beautiful hike with hardly anyone on the trail. I started about 6:45am and only had one trailrunner coming down as I was on my way up. Other than him, I only saw about 6 people. As soon as you come near the base of Raymond there are about 3 patches of snow covering the trail, meaning you have to walk on the snow and do some postholing. Nothing too bad and no spikes needed.

Made it to within one mile of the saddle b/w Gobbler's and Raymond, but the clouds were getting darker and the temperature dropped and I was freezing. Gorgeous views all around. I will be back to finish this hike really soon!

The first part of the trail that was really rocky has been re done and it's NICE! Rattler on the trail on the very beginning that wasn't super happy with us being there! We just went to the lookout so i cant vouch for how far you can get on the trail right now.

Mon May 27 2019

Awesome views ! Made it up halfway about. The snow was extremely slushy, but had made it up farther than anyone recently given the lack of tracks. Will definitely do this again when it melts / have more time.

Mon May 20 2019

Mill B North is a deep cleft in the cliffs that make up the N wall of Big Cottonwood. Parking is in the middle of the S in a tiny lot of in the bigger Broads Fork or on the street. Overall, a really nice trail that gives you some sun (S facing slope) while having a fair amount of shade and not being crazy steep. As others have mentioned, the very first short section is steeper, and then the trial progressively climbs through a lovely mixed forest. I was surprised at how well graded it is overall. The "overlook" is only 1.2 miles up (2.5 RT), so that is a relatively short hike, still probably rated as moderate for a family. The creek was raging on this late spring day, with some of it tumbling down the trail. Still an adult could keep their feet dry with a little effort, kids might need more help. I'm sure most of the year it's dry. After the overlook the trail starts to get a bit steeper and rockier until it crosses a ridge into the Elbow Fork watershed. (pretty view over to a little double waterfall, probably seasonal.) The trail was in excellent condition and easy to follow until this point. It looks to again get rougher, but was also snowcovered, so I left the trail and tracked uphill until I reached Desolation. That was a round trip of only 7 miles, but the trail would have been longer (In addition to switchbacks that I skipped, the trail marked on the map also continues for 1.55 mi one way along a flat section of the desolation trail and then up to the ridge. I'd argue that if you've come that far, you really ought to finish it out and summit either Raymond or Gobbler). I climbed 3418', which is probably about the same as the trail (To Desolation). Most people would call that much climbing difficult regardless of the terrain.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Beautiful trail, but had to turn around before the second set of switchbacks (~0.75 miles in) due to deep snow and fallen tree branches.

Sun Oct 28 2018

The start was very rocky and not what I was expecting. Once you make the turn towards the creek, it’s beautiful. The elevation gain was slow and steady. Some parts are over grown do your not sure where exactly the trail leads. Would go again in the spring.

Wed Oct 03 2018

Beautiful.. but as others have mentioned, it becomes overgrown about 3.5 miles in. I ended up turning around as I was running and not trying to push through that amount of brush. I did see a mountain goat near the beginning and overall enjoy the challenge of this trail.

Mon Sep 24 2018

I don't usually post here, but a lot of the reviews for this hike are misleading, so I thought I'd weigh in. This is actually quite a difficult hike. There are many spots where the trail is well-maintained and a gradual incline, but also many that are steep and rocky and/or overgrown. Note that many of the people posting that it's a moderate hike did not make it to the top. The rocky overlook is the halfway point. After that, the trail gets pretty steep and you're pushing through a lot of overgrowth. The terrain isn't quite as difficult as Lake Blanche, but it's comparable in difficulty, especially because of the distance. It is a beautiful trail with some stunning views and well worth doing if you like a challenging hike. But it shouldn't be attempted lightly. Start early and pack plenty of water and snacks if you're planning on doing the whole thing. It'll take a while.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Gorgeous hike! We only went up a little past the lookout, which I would agree is not marked at the correct location in this map. We just happened to take the little turnoff when we came to it and the views were very rewarding! The beginning is definitely a little steep, but manageable if you can make tall steps. We hiked mid morning and there was plenty of shade.

Mon Sep 03 2018

This trail was great from the start! It’s a bit steep in the beginning but it levels off to a creekside and forest hike. The map shows the trail west of the creek but it’s really east of the creek. Once you get to the fork, go right for the overlook. It’s amazing!

Tue Aug 21 2018

Plenty of deer and occasional moose if you hike quietly during the week. Busy trail on weekends.

Tue Jul 24 2018

This is a great trail with a doable elevation gain. The destination was nothing amazing. The hike was 12 mi round trip (6 up and 6 down), not the 9.8 mi this app tells you. Bring plenty of water, 2+ liters. The descent was not good on my feet even though I had good hiking shoes. Got bloodied toenails. But overall, I would say it was a good hike!

Wed Jul 18 2018

Great trail! The first .5 mile or so is the steepest, rocky and sun exposed if you're not early enough. We started about 8:45 and it was cool and shady, but sunny when we got back down. Once the trail heads back a bit into the woods it's cool and shady the whole rest of the way. Beautiful views the whole way up. One small area had us walking in the water, but very shallow and manageable. We went as far as a rocky overlook area, a little trail diverts off to it on the right, you can see the rock face from the trail. At this point you are pretty much at the top, the trail continues on but I'm not sure how much further. We called it good here, spectacular views in all directions! I would definitely do this one again.

Tue Jul 17 2018

one of the best

Sun Jul 08 2018

Great hike for beginners like my husband and I. We’ve done a few short ones (donut falls, grotto falls) so this one was the longest for us thus far and I was worried we bit off more than we could chew. Thankfully the hike down was such a breeze and so fast. The view at the top is definitely worth it:) also: we ran into two families (one at the lookout and the other in the middle of the first switch backs) that were only there to see hidden falls. We advised them that at the very beginning of this trail there are stairs on your right and a trail to your left.. taking the left trail will get you to the falls in like five minutes. Hope that helps someone from hiking all the way up.

Tue Jul 03 2018

My go to hike after work heading to the lookout point. Keep an eye out for snakes. I've seen two good sized rattle snakes in the last two weeks close to or on the trail.

Tue Jun 12 2018

This was amazing. Long but worth it. View is breathe taking.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Beautiful trail with moderate inclines and switchbacks. The views of the canyon were spectacular! On a Saturday, during the middle of the day, we saw three other groups so it is a quiet trail.

Mon Apr 16 2018

I only went to the overlook (which I think is not accurately marked on this map...I was right where the GPS said it was and that spot was not a place to see everything, there was, however a beautiful rocky area overlooking everything just before the spot marked on this app). There was still some snow, but I survived in sneakers. Gorgeous views of the canyon at the top and I loved the part that was close to the river (and at times IN the river...be prepared to get wet!)

Sat Dec 30 2017

Beautiful view and trail with uphill and canyons!! Really enjoyed!

Sun Sep 24 2017

Moderately difficult trail with beautiful views. We had to turn back at the end when too much snow was falling. We could barely fund the trail. Plenty of stunning views. Just remember the weather can change quickly towards the top.