Middle Fork Taylor Creek Trail

Middle Fork Taylor Creek Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar City, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 715 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

The start of the trail at the trailhead has a number of steep steps to begin with, however it does level out into a sandy trail through the canyons. Be prepared to cross the stream 15 times or more.

I love this trail. This is the trail that started my hiking craze!

I would certainly recommend this trail. It is quite a bit longer than stated. It winds through a canyon and you cross the river many times. The end is stunning with an arched amphitheater embedded in the canyon. Steep steps going down and back but well worth it.

a fun Zion "sampler".

This is a beautiful trail that crosses back and forth over a creek at least 40 times, there and back. There were two places on the return that we had to look for the trail after crossing to the sandy bank. The beginning is shady and the last bit is open and you may bake if you don’t have hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and more water than you think you will need. The end of the trail is a little more than 3 miles. You do a bit of scrambling up rocks and looking for snakes. Lots of bugs and lizards. It may be my favorite trail so far.

We loved this hike. We arrived early (6:30ish) and took our time. We were largely solo on the trail until someone passed us around 7:30. When we saw her coming back the other way she mentioned that we should push just past the double arch alcove for a cool cave waterfall about .25 miles further (largely through rocky creekbed) and she was right! It was a very cool ending to the hike. My GPS logged more like 6 miles total for this one (including the extra scramble) but you never quite know with the watch GPS! The stairs at the end were tough after the round trip, but this was a hike worth taking. Definitely accessible for families. The weather was perfect in the early morning and by the time we left around 10, it was climbing close to 90. We drank four bottles of water between the two of us and wouldn’t recommend any less! The water crossings were plentiful (at least 40 of them total round trip) but plenty of stepping stones - water shoes not needed. My husband hiked in Chacos and I went in boots and we were both good!

It’s a pretty easy trail that crosses the creek some 40ish times, great trail for kids, you see two old structures (houses) on the way. The end is what makes it a very good trail, the Double Alcove is really neat and worth the hike! If you look at my recording unsure why it went way off the trail, the other GPS showed 6 miles.

I complete the round trip in under 3 hrs to the end of the line. Trail is groomed most of the way. You can go past the double arches, but like the other reviews say, it get harder. Plan on park fees of $35 a car load or use your annual Zions pass. Plenty of shade and resting spots (fallen tress) along the way to enjoy the scenery. Several micro waterfalls. Kid friendly; but the distance would play a toll. Plan on crossing the stream several times (I lost count how many times). There are stepping stones to help avoid wet shoes. Heavily traveled, no cell service, use a gps system if you want to track your progress. Encountered two rattlesnakes on the path so watch your step. They were friendly and moved along. (named them Hungry and Lost). lots of lizards and squirrels too.

Breathtakingly beautiful. Went well beyond the end of the trail where the double arches are to the very end where I couldn’t go any further. Past the arches the gets lighter and lighter and a lot more difficult.

Pretty easy with a few inclines. Shady spots to cool off and the creek helps too!

Nice trail in the Kolob area of Zion, follows a creek which you pass through many times along the way. Has areas of shade along the way. The alcove at the end is absolutely beautiful.

We crossed the water around 55 times

The creek is still running. The trail is a superb way to get away from crowds. Even in the high 90s, it was still pleasant, with sufficient water and shade gear.

Beautiful!

One of my favorite hikes ever! Pretty easy, lots of easy ups and downs and a few dozen creek crossings. My gps and those around me said the trail was 3.3 miles each way when all was said and done. After ending at the double arch we headed up the dry creek bed and ended at a lovely little waterfall. Definitely worth the time!!

A nice little hike, good trail, interesting views. Well worth the effort!

Nice trail, a little cooler on a hot day. Great views of the canyon walls, two old cabins also. The creek is still flowing but not much water. Nice new restrooms at the trailhead parking lot.

Awesome hike. 100% fun. Great views, plenty of stepping stones.

Definitely worth it even though there's no spectacular overlook! The natural carved out alcove is amazing. Hardly anyone on the trail which is much better than the main park section. You cross a stream about 50 times without any problem. It's very fun!

We did this hike two weeks ago, started around 11am. It was sleeting and there are a couple dozen creek crossings. The water was rising and we were a little nervous for flash flooding, but it was still incredibly beautiful. The alcove and double arch is stunning and luckily the rain subsided, making for an easier trek back. So glad we did this hike.

The only thing that made this trail worth doing was the double arch alcove at the very end. I definitely recommend walking the extra 10 minutes up the creek to the waterfall. It isn't impressive from a flow rate perspective but it is quite tall and has an interesting flow direction down the rock. The flies were terrible, you couldn't even stop for a drink without getting attacked. If you're looking for a hike in the Kolob area it's worth it for the view at the end but if you're strapped for time, just take the drive to the top to overlook the canyon.

Incredible hike. One that should not be missed in Zion. The trail was in great shape. Many stream crossings but as long as you have decent boots, it's possible to stay dry. Make sure you pass the alcove to find the waterfall about 20 minutes further.

Best trail in Zion. No crowds and you can really connect with nature here. The extra 10 mins hike after double arch cove for the waterfall are worth it!

LOVED this. If you can commit to hiking in wet shoes, you will also love this hike. Sadly, we didn't have time to do the entire trail, but it was beautiful. I wish we could have made it to the views at the end. The creek is not that deep or difficult to pass. We walked through it at least 25 times (one way) and only made it 2/3rds of the way in. The Narrows was closed for hikers so this was our substitute :)