Mendon Peak Trail

Mendon Peak Trail is a 6.2 mile out and back trail located near Mendon, Utah that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I loved this hike! We started at 4am on 7/6 to catch the sunrise, didn't quite make it to the top on time but were pretty high up. It took the young adults who have done this hike a few times about 2 1/2 hrs (we sent them ahead about halfway up). It took us old adults about 3 hrs, maybe a little more to get to the top. It is very overgrown, so wear pants, and there's stinging nettle. We went early enough we didn't have too many bugs or snakes and it wasn't too hot, but if we would have gone later I could see that being a problem. The trail is NOT marked super great, but is always there. There was one spot near the beginning we had to figure out which way to go. We were a bit sore for a couple of days after, it's fairly steep, but the views up top are spectacular and the wildflowers and scenery along the way are amazing!

Horrible and overgrown trail. Lots of stinging nettle. Confusing in 3-4 parts and no signs. Saw 5 rattlesnakes on the trail.
pros: only saw two people, quiet, not too hard. Shaded for most of it.
Took 2.5 hours up and 2 hours down.

Decided to go for a “quick” Sunday hike. Made it to the ridge in an hour and 45 minutes. It was hard but we enjoyed it. Only 2 or 3 places that still had snow on the trail but it was pretty easy to get around it.

This trail was harder than expected. We couldn’t make it to the top because the snow started to get deep. Even if we were prepared with the right shoes it was near impossible to tell where the trail went. On the way down there was one small snake in the trail that was easy to walk around but further down my dog found a rattle snake right next to the trail. Thankfully was not bit but I did notice lots of holes on the way up I was nervous about. The trees didn’t have any leaves yet in April so maybe later summer is a more scenic and better time to go. Definitely want to be in shape for this one!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

We did this trail today (7/24) and it is HUGELY overgrown. 6 foot tall weeds lined a lot of the trail, along with loads of stinging nettle and bushes. Tons of flies. It is gorgeous when you can see through the weeds and some of the more clear spots have pretty fields of wildflowers. I wouldn't recommend to anyone who isn't at least mildly active.

Monday, June 13, 2016

I like to do this one every year. Overall it is pretty steep continuous climbing with some switch backs. Once you reach the saddle rock, you have great views of Cache Valley and Box Elder. You can continue this trail south and go down Cold Water Lake trail at Stewart's Cone, or keep going and come down Rattlesnake Trail in Sardine Canyon, and find the geo marker on top of Box Elder Peak. (Make sure you have someone to come pick you up. Lol)

Monday, April 04, 2016

My daughter and I hiked up as far as we could go on Saturday Evening. We got to a point where there was still snow on the trail and it was quite muddy so we came back down. But it was a really good hike, not too hard, but good views of Logan as we hiked.

Monday, May 29, 2017